Torres del Paine O + W Circuit is a 75.5 mile loop trail located near Torres del Paine, Magallanes, Chile that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Length75.5 miElevation gain13,290 ftRoute typeLoop
BackpackingCampingHikingNature tripsWalkingForestLakeRiverViewswild-flowersWildlifeRockyScrambleSnow
Description
Waypoints (30)

Si cuentas con el tiempo y quieres una experiencia todavía más completa en tu visita al Parque Nacional Torres del Paine, puedes ampliar el recorrido del Circuito W con el Circuito O que incluye toda la parte norte del Parque, en la que podrás disfrutar de una ruta un poco menos concurrida y más escénica. Es un desafío del que seguramente no te arrepentirás. Ten en cuenta que las condiciones climáticas son bastante cambiantes, así que prepárate para todo. También asegúrate de planificar con tiempo, pues las plazas en hospedajes y sitios de campamento suelen ocuparse rápido.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (72)
Photos (178)
Recordings (50)
Completed (176)
Molly Scholl
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 22, 2020
BackpackingGreat!

Tough to organize the permit logistics. Weather can seriously jeopardize your hike so plan accordingly. Otherwise the trail was in great shape and camp areas clean. Hike in the dark to see the towers!

Kayti Christian
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 18, 2020
HikingIcyMuddyRockyScrambleSnow

Worth every mile.

Mikhail Bogdanov
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 5, 2020
HikingIcyOff trailRockyScrambleSnow
View Mikhail's Recording
Adrienne Ho
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 6, 2020
HikingBugsOff trailRocky

The scenery in the back part of the circuit was really nice and didn’t have too many people. When you hit the W circuit (starting at Refugio Gray), then it starts to get pretty busy so be ready to do some maneuvering.

View Adrienne's Recording
Terry Burrow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 5, 2020

I completed the O on January 18th 2020. I kept a journal along the way and I highly recommend that you do so also. The O is so much more than the scenery, it's also about the people you will meet, people whose names you will forget if you don't write them down. There are also things you can't take a picture of, like what it feels like. That being said, here is my day by day highlights. I went to the 3:00 talk which is no longer held at Eratic Rock but at Day Zero. Pretty good information at that meeting, including how to get to the park entrance. There is a 6:40 bus out of Puerto Natales that you think will get you there earlier, but it goes to the catamaran dock first so you actually get there later. I booked my tickets ahead of time using Bus Bud, and made that mistake. Centro to Seron: Easy but long day. The showers are "kind of warm" but there are only two of them. They are marked men and women's but we just formed one line not seeing any reason to leave a shower idle just because of your gender. Seron to Dickson. A little more up and down than yesterday. There is a mini pass that you have to go over and honestly, this is where I had the highest wind. A good rule of thumb is to expect high winds any time you are near a large body of water. The Dickson camp ground is bigger than Seron with more and warmer showers available. Dickson to Los Perros My first mosquitoes on the trail. None of the reviews mention them, so I didn't have insect repellant. Not sure if it would have helped anyway. Rain gear worked well because they can't bite through it. They don't really swarm you, but they are relentless any time you aren't moving. The Los Perros campground is well protected by large trees and the wind wasn't bad at all even though it's so close to the pass. Only COLD showers there so don't make the mistake I made of skipping a shower at Dickson. Los Perros to campamento Paso. The trail begins with tree roots and mud followed by more tree roots and mud. The mud wasn't deep when I was there, but with rain it could have been. Once you clear the tree line it's rocks all the way to the top, but flat ones, not ankle breakers, and not boulder climbing. I wore ankle braces that day. If you think your just going to attack this pass and get over it, forget about it. There are no switch backs and it goes on and on. When you find some protection from the wind, take a break and fuel up an hydrate. There's lots of water towards the top but in the middle part not so much, so fill your water bottle even if it isn't empty. Everybody talks about how bad the downhill side is, but I didn't think it was that bad. Of course I have long arms and legs, but just remember to lengthen your poles before you start down. Campamento Paso gets a bad wrap in my opinion. First of all THERE IS A FLUSH TOILET THERE. No, they don't have a shower. Yes it is small and a little cramped, but not crowded. It is well protected by large trees, and was my favorite campground on the whole trail because it was small and intimate. Paso to Grey. Easy day unless you don't like swinging bridges. You start meeting those W people who have tiny little day packs and their clothes are nice and clean and they hardly have any mosquito bites at all. The campground at Grey is HUGE and parts of it are fairly open. Lots of showers and bathrooms. You won't have to wait in line at all. There is also internet access there. Grey to Paine Grande. It's even bigger than Grey. I can't speak about the campground itself because I chose to stay in the refugio that night, and boy was I glad because it was a monsoon all night. Also if you want to reserve meals there it's all you can eat buffet so you can really get you money's worth if you aren't shy. Paine Grande to Frances. That's right Frances. Most people try to go up and down Britanico on this day, but I took a different approach. I had an easy walk to Frances and spent the whole afternoon resting in my tent. Its all platform campsites which I really love because they are always level and dry. Watch out for foxes trying to steal your food. The next morning I made the short back track to Britanico and was able to race to the top because I was well rested. They will let you leave your pack at Frances. I just tied my pack liner around my waist with a rain jacket and a down jacket inside. There's no need for a water bottle, just take a zip lock bag to dip water from the many streams and stop for a drink when you need one. I was the fourth person to the top that day and I highly reccomend getting to the top as fast as possible. Stop for a quick picture, but if the view is there going up, it will likely be there going down as well. The same cannot be said for the view at the top. I thought Britanico was the most beautiful part of the whole circuit. You really feel like you are in a cathedral of mountains. Once I got to the bottom it was back to Frances to get my pack and...

Sudhakar Ayyasamy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 3, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Epic hike! Difficult but very doable if you're well prepared. The non-W part of the circuit is much less crowded, but the W-part of the circuit has little more to offer in terms of scenery. I am nevertheless very glad I did the entire circuit as I got to hike along the Grey Glacier after John Gardner Pass. We were fortunate it wasn't as windy over the pass when we got there. I'd do the O Circuit again if I could, after a few years. I could not go to Mirador Torres for sunrise, but I got there before the crowds, and spent a good couple of hours at the summit on the last day. The best parts of the hike according to me are, in order: Mirador Base Las Torres, Mirador Britanico, Grey Glacier, Mirador Frances. Be prepared for wind, rain, cold weather, sun, as we saw it all. I traveled to Chile just to do this hike, and it's all I could ask for in a trip! Do it, and you'll be rewarded with wonderful scenery of highly diverse landscapes that you'll probably never see anywhere else in an 85 mile hike.

Omar Ahmady
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 25, 2020
HikingBlowdownBridge outBugsFeeMuddyOff trailRockyScramble
View Omar's Recording
Kent Nancollas
HikingBugsIcyMuddyRockyScrambleSnow

The backside of the “O” is limited to 80 per campsite. There were only 40 in our group. The views at Dickson and the top of Paso John Gardner are magnificent. The Patagonian weather treated us to everything. Rain, wind, snow, and occasional sunshine. On the trail you will be challenged to stay dry and warm. Make sure your waterproofing is good. I encountered mud, water, ice, Lenga tree roots (major trip hazards), wicked wind, scree, and the awful steps descending the pass. (My 65 year old knees protested these.) However, you will be treated to unique landscapes found nowhere else in the world. It’s worthy of being called one of the best hikes in South America.