Torres del Paine “W” Circuit

Torres del Paine “W” Circuit is a 69.4 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Tres Torres, De Magallanes y Antartica Chilena, Chile that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from October until May.

69.4 km
2730 m
Point to Point

A breathtaking, bucket-list trek for any backpacker with sights you will never forget.

Great hike. Just windy and wet most of the time. The views are wonderful.

Incredible views. Weather varies tremendously even during the summer. Make sure you are well prepared with layers, appropriate footwear. The vistas along most of the W are breathtaking. Steep ascents at the top of the east leg and middle legs of the W. If you go 30 minutes (about 2 km) past Refugio Grey, you can reach the first of 3 hanging bridges which is worth checking out.

The one thing I will say is that the CONAF rangers and personnel are not well equipped for medical evacuations. We ran into an injured hiker with a broken leg who was being taken out on a backboard. We ended up helping carry him for 3 km with 10 men rotating 8 at a time carrying the board along very narrow trails. The whole ordeal was poorly organized and a big cluster.

When we finished we remarked how lucky we were to finish without injuries. Also a missing hiker’s body was found on the “O” circuit 2 weeks after he went missing during the time we were there. The volume of hikers has gone up exponentially and the facilities/staff are playing catch up. Some of the trails are lightly trafficked and help would be difficult if not impossible to get in case of a serious injury.

A absolutely awesome backpacking trek with great views along the whole trail. The trails can be a bit crowded, but the views make it worth it. Here is my full trip report with pictures, maps, and other logistical info: https://backpackersreview.wordpress.com/trip-reports/torres-del-paine-circuit/

Incredible views! Would highly recommend as a do one time.type of a run/hike. Lots of people. We were there in December!

Outstanding views and trails. This park did not disappoint. Was there end of December and weather was amazing. 70 degrees and sunny. It is cold in the evenings and nights so layer up!

We were very lucky and had great weather the whole time we were there. Stunning views and decent camp sites- as long as you don't arrive too late!

This place is amazing and beautiful. Experienced all seasons during this hike (the wind was crazy one of the days).

I've hiked all over the world and this is my favorite hike ever. Me encanta Torres del Paine.

Awesome hike, don't know why anyone would rate it less than 5 stars. It's a must do

If I could give it more than 5 stars, I would! Incredible hiking!!!

Seriously people, this should be on your bucket list!! Ferried across the lake to the Refugio and hiked only to French Valley and back. Most of the trail was well maintained, there were a few soggy spots and places where the elevated path needed repair- but the views and the pristine environment make up for that. Did see an Andean Condor or two. Photo ops galore. Definitely want to make it back here someday!!! Love. It.

Best hike I've ever done. Difficult, but 100% worth it!

Excallente!!

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Wonderful hike. Great for a solo female backpacker. Very easy trail to follow so no navigational skills needed. Just follow the path. You cannot get lost on this hike and not much technical skill is needed. If you can walk you are already ready! Solo is fine, there are TONS of other people on this trail so I would say hello about every 20 minutes as I walked by other people. Also, since there are other solo travelers, many are happy to chat at camp and you are sure to find camping buddies if you need them! But even when I did not find a buddy I still felt completely safe. Do your research - lots of blog posts about this place and plan the route that suits your style best. I did it west to east with a 40L pack. I suggest a hat with a cord - this hike is very windy, and when I tried to wear a baseball cap it blew right off multiple times. In the end I wore a bandana for sun protection.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

A must.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

The best place in the world

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Loved this hike; the scenery is absolutely stunning. I'd describe the hike as moderate rather than hard because there's not that much elevation gain. Also, the park's infrastructure is pretty good, so no need to carry your own tent - you can sleep in so called Refugios instead. I'd reccommend hiking from west to east and save the 'highlight' of the actual Torres for last. This is how i did it:
Day 1 - leave early from Puerto Natales, take the ferry across Lake Pehoe and hike from Paine Grande to Refugio Grey. Check out Grey Glacier in the late afternoon.
Day 2 - In the morning, hike up towards Campamento Paso to get a better view of the glacier, but then turn around an hike back to Refugio Pane Grande
Day 3 - Hike to Refugio Los Cuernos with a detour up Valle des Frances; it's a steep hike but the view is worth it
Day 4 - Hike to Refugio Chileno, drop your pack, and hike up to the base of the Torres
Day 5 - hike down to Hosteria Las Torres; there you can either take a shuttle bus to Laguna Amarga or keep on hiking (approx. another 1 1/2 h). The hike to Laguna Amarga is not that special, but you might get the chance to see some Guanacos up close. From L.Amarga take the bus back to Puerto Natales.

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Hard but possible!!! Amazing views all the trail. I prefer to do it with The Towers view at the end of the trip (west to east).

Monday, November 28, 2016

We just returned from completing this absolutely stunning yet challenging trek through Chilean Patagonia. We camped each night in a tent and got the full backpacking experience. This was the first time we have ever trekked with full packs so the biggest challenge for us was the weight of the packs over large distances and steep elevation gains. We did the trek East to West and spent an extra day kayaking and climbing Glacier Grey, which was amazing. Would recommend this trek to anyone who wants to see some of the most amazing natural beauty this world has to offer (and get much stronger leg and back muscles in the process)! I will be posting a more in depth review to my website soon and will post a link here when done.

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Spectacular. We did the 5 day W trek from east to west, and it was the most beautiful trail I've ever hiked. Varied and challenging terrain but totally doable for anyone in decent shape. We woke up at 4am to climb to the base of the Torres for sunrise, and it was incredible. Strongly recommend doing that. We also did the glacier hike at the end of the W, and that was equally spectacular. One of the most memorable weeks of my life.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Loved this hike. Will have to go back to do the w. Make sure you leave early or you'll never make the trip to top.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

One of the most beautiful places on Earth! I would rate this 10 stars. We did a 6 day backpacking trip and did the entire W route in Torres Del Paine National Park not just Los Torres. A group of us went in January. We experienced all different kinds of weather and scenery. Very difficult terrain but I would highly recommend this trip to anyone.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

sorry about the one star below, it was a mistake and I can't edit it delete. This is my all time favourite hike and my favorite national park....in the world.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

I really enjoyed this trail, it was a good work out but nothing to strenuous. It took me 45 minutes to reach the end of the maintained trail. The hike has great city, beach and ridge views.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Superb

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Day hike past glaciers through a gorgeous forest ending at a glacial lake. Beautiful!

Monday, July 01, 2013

The trail starts up a fairly steep hill and then goes along the valley with beautiful views. A river tumbles along below and you soon get to beautiful beach forests and cross a bridge to a camp. Continue on with mountains above you, and the creek next to you as you walk through this beautiful beach forest. In March,the colors were starting to turn. Head uphill through a talus slope and soon the spires of Los Torres come into view. Top the rock field and drop down to the glacial lake in front of the spire. Just soak it in. We were lucky to have a clear day and little wind, a big plus.