Avilés Trail to Jeinemeni Trail is a 29.3 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Cochrane, Aysén, Chile that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking.

Length29.3 miElevation gain4,652 ftRoute typePoint to point
Recordings (1)
Completed (2)
View user's profile page
Jay Menna
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 19, 2019
HikingOff trail
First to Review

The single most beautiful trail I have ever hiked in all my 45 years of backcountry backpacking. Getting to the trailhead is extremely difficult. We took a ferry to Chile Chico And then hired a local outfitter to simply drive us to the trailhead. (We hiked from north to south) The trail Involves crossing Rivers at least 50 times. We hiked in late March so none of them were above our thighs. But the water was freezing cold. We saw 3 people on this trail. We saw zero litter. No a single twist tie. We did not hear a single engine. Nor Airplane. Nor other person. We walked the 16 miles of the x-83 into Patagonia National Park and then connected to some trails to Cochrane. Stunning. Full trip Report his here: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/new-patagonia-national-park-chile/ Video here: https://youtu.be/TcBlI9CMWYw

View user's profile page
Stefanie Wai
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 25, 2016
Hiking

Absolutely stunning and the highlight of my 3 months trekking in Patagonia in 2016. The scenery was varied and jaw-dropping at every turn. Caveat: logistically, my info is a little dated. Back then, the Parque Nacional Patagonia was still under development and the Thompkins Conservation teams were working hard on the grasslands conservation work in Valle Chacabuco. Route info on the park is here now https://www.rutadelosparques.org/parque-nacional-patagonia/ I had to hitchhike my way to the start and from the end at Jeinemeni ranger station to Chile Chico. I'm sure transport links will improve now that the park opened last year. It was empty then as no one really knew about it. I didn't see anyone else for most of 2 days. It's a 2-3 day hike and I did it south to north, following ribbons and cairns where available and doing a fair bit of navigation (likely better marked by now). I stopped over at the 2nd camp "Hermosa" for an extra day to explore glacial lakes and other valleys. Check-in with the park rangers on whether these are open options. Expect ups and downs, varied terrain, crossing streams - I'm 5'2 and water came waist high on two occasions. Mind your ankles along the riverside stretch on the rocks. Bring a hat for the sunny days without cover.