Ä’äy Chù (Slim's River) West Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(4)
Destruction Bay, Yukon

Ä’äy Chù (Slim's River) West Trail is a 37.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Destruction Bay, Yukon, Canada that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking.

Length37.2 miElevation gain6735 ftRoute typeOut & back
BackpackingHikingRiverViewsWildlifeSnowNo shade
Description
Waypoints (0)

Excellent hike with one creek crossing. You will need creek crossing shoes and ropes for safety. Beautiful hike along the river with large sand dunes at one point. Continue on from the last camping area to see the Kaskawulsh Glacier from Observation Mountain.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (4)
Photos (19)
Recordings (3)
Completed (6)
Ruben Nusser
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 11, 2020
Hiking
View Ruben's Recording
Kevin Sere
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 29, 2020
HikingBugsFloodedMuddyOff trailRocky

Très long trail inintéressant 99% du temps. Longer la vallée n'est pas forcément excitant et pourtant c'est 80% du parcours. Quasiment aucune indication notamment pour "observation Mountain" où il y a plusieurs chemin qui souvent mènent à rien... Faire une randonnée de 63km pour avoir un point de vue c'est peu rentable et d'autant plus que les insectes (moustiques et taon) sont omniprésent et c'est parfois complètement insupportable. La moindre pause ou même en marchant c'est un nuage d'insectes autour qui cherchent à vous piquer... Meme un employé du parc m'a dit qu'effectivement cette randonnée était lassante et longue pour au final un seul point de vue Point positif c'est la vie animal qui a l'air de grouiller, des traces de pas partout (ours, orignaux et autres) mais pas eu l'occasion d'en voir directement

View Kevin's Recording
Liviu Bulubenchi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020

Me and my brother did the east side of the river in 2016. it took us almost 2 days to arrive back. But you should prepare for 3 to 4 days in case you want to take it easy. Alot of bear footprints on the river side. Hikers should be careful when crossing the Vulcan River because it can be really fast. Some places nearly 1m deep. i've been through the small swamp,but i wouldn't recomend. Last part of the trail before arriving to the glacier it was really windy. The river was almost dry on the east side because the glacier blocked it. You may see nobody around the whole trail.Spectacular views.

David Cabernel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2009
Hiking
First to Review

We did this hike back in 2009 but didn't find any mention of it on AllTrails so added it. Excellent hike with one creek crossing that got the best of us unfortunately. DON'T ATTEMPT in mid afternoon when at it's worse. You will need creek crossing shoes and ropes for safety. Beautiful hike along the river with large sand dunes at one point. Took 2 days to get to the final camping destination because we started late and was foiled by the creek. The next day we headed to Observation Mountain to get a few of the glacier. Missed the trail and I tried to climb up an avalanche shoot. Gave up and on the way down slipped on some scree and slipped down bruising my backend really well. Think I got a bit of heat stroke as well, as I felt weak and sickly until we crossed the glacier runoff and the cold water cooled me off. The next day me an my nephew tired again; found the trail and saw the glacier in it's glory. Both days we had to avoid a young grizzly near the water. I've heard on the news the glacier (Kaskawulsh) has retreated and the river has changed direction. If any one has done the trail lately I'd be interested in hearing about it.