Ä’äy Chù (Slim's River) West Trail

Ä’äy Chù (Slim's River) West Trail is a 59.9 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Destruction Bay, Yukon, Canada that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking.

Distance: 59.9 km Elevation Gain: 2,053 m Route Type: Out & Back

Excellent hike with one creek crossing. You will need creek crossing shoes and ropes for safety. Beautiful hike along the river with large sand dunes at one point. Continue on from the last camping area to see the Kaskawulsh Glacier from Observation Mountain.

Sun Jul 26 2009

We did this hike back in 2009 but didn't find any mention of it on AllTrails so added it. Excellent hike with one creek crossing that got the best of us unfortunately. DON'T ATTEMPT in mid afternoon when at it's worse. You will need creek crossing shoes and ropes for safety. Beautiful hike along the river with large sand dunes at one point. Took 2 days to get to the final camping destination because we started late and was foiled by the creek. The next day we headed to Observation Mountain to get a few of the glacier. Missed the trail and I tried to climb up an avalanche shoot. Gave up and on the way down slipped on some scree and slipped down bruising my backend really well. Think I got a bit of heat stroke as well, as I felt weak and sickly until we crossed the glacier runoff and the cold water cooled me off. The next day me an my nephew tired again; found the trail and saw the glacier in it's glory. Both days we had to avoid a young grizzly near the water. I've heard on the news the glacier (Kaskawulsh) has retreated and the river has changed direction. If any one has done the trail lately I'd be interested in hearing about it.