Learn more

Gatineau Park Trail 8, 23, and 17 Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(41)
Parc de la Gatineau

Gatineau Park Trail 8, 23, and 17 Loop is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Chelsea, Quebec, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 538 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail has many stairs

Great 6km trail. Lots of steep inclines and rocky.

Nice low-traffic hike, only saw one other person until we were almost back. We got caught by the transition from 23 to 17. The first stretch of 17 coming from 23 via 8 is winter only, but only marked from the other side. It was mostly thick mud, so if you aren’t going in the winter, go up the hill for the last stretch of 23. There’s also a small lookout at the top that we almost missed!

Dog friendly with some nice views. Constantly up and down in the forest.

Enjoyable. The lookout is small compared to kind mountain trail. I wondered if some areas would be too muddy to hike through in the spring since the path went right beside a swamp at one point. It was fine for me in September. Took my 11 month old on a carrier.

Quite steep sections. Some very technical sections. Lots of options for variation with side paths and trails.

Pretty nice and not too busy! Quite muddy in some areas and we saw a black bear so make sure to keep your eyes open!

Tue Jun 25 2019

This must be an error on the site that says mountain biking as one of the activities for this trail. It was my first time mountain biking and I wanted an easy trail that did a loop, I thought this was the one. When I arrived at the start of the trail I notice a sign that said no biking but on the site It clearly says mountain biking. I continued anyways and found myself going down intense rocky trails and streams. This was not a good first impression for mountain biking. Please remove mountain biking for one of the activities for this Trail. The NCC clearly marks on their map it is hiking trail and not a mountain biking trail. I will not be using this site anymore and I urge people to follow an NCC map that is more accurate than this site.

Mon Jun 24 2019

The trail you must follow goes 8, 23 then 17. The viewpoint where nice and the trail is pretty easy easy to follow though pretty muddy still.

Mon May 21 2018

Approx a 6km loop starting and finishing at P7 which took 2hrs in total. Reasonably well sign posted with a few ups and downs along the way.

Sat Oct 21 2017

Great and modereate trail. Not busy. Very nice views!!

Tue Oct 03 2017

good quick loop.....lots of stairs....some great views (Thurs Sept 28, 2017)

Sun Oct 01 2017

Nice trail for day hiking. We parked at Parking 7 and hiked the loop, plus continued to Keogan shelter which was a nice surprise. There are several intersections and we met a family got lost as we ended our 4 hour hike back at Parking 7.

Sat Jun 22 2019