Learn more

Western Uplands Trail is a 59.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nipissing, Ontario, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 59.3 miles Elevation Gain: 9,196 feet Route Type: Loop

It's a decent trail if you love backpacking. We 2 people did 95km loop, and it was beautiful experience. There are lots of people doing first loop, but if you are going for this, you better do biggest loop. You won't regret at all.

Great trail, however it is pretty tough! Make sure you’re in great shape! Can’t wait to do it again!

Took the eastern path and did an out-and-back 40km route over 3 days (Oct 4-6). Path was very easy to follow - no worry of getting lost. Has some more challenging sections that start about 7km in. Bit tricky to see the rocks/roots with all the fallen leaves, so take extra care where you step to avoid injury. Great time for moose sightings - we saw three!

Completed the 3rd loop clockwise in a bit more than 72 hours. Weather is awesome (a treat), terrain is moderate, and there were zero bugs around during this very dry season. The trail is quite nicely maintained and very well marked, which makes for easy navigation. Dead leaves covered everything after last week's fall storm - beautiful, but beware! This may pose a major hazard as it makes discerning obstacles (potholes, rocks, dead branches) beneath the camouflage extremely hard. Ankle sprain could be common. So pay extra attention when you traverse under such condition.

I completed the middle loop of the Western Uplands trail, it was approx 55km and I spent three nights there taking my time. Made my days 12-14km long which only took a couple hours between sites. Research campsites prior to heading off on your adventure and you’re golden! Some steep rises but nothing terrible, can get rough on the ankles at the rocky bits. Algonquin is a great hike.

Sat Jun 29 2019

Sun Jun 02 2019

Coming in from the Rain Lake access point it is very flat, not very challenging. Hardest sections would be hopping across the swamped out parts Rest of the trail is over uneven terrain. rocks, tree roots, up and down several meters of elevation at some points, sections are washed out or flooded or made of mud - watch your step always. Downed trees make for extra obstacles. Trekking poles help a lot. Be prepared, be safe. bring extra socks. Having said that, it is an amazing test of endurance.

Sun Jan 06 2019

Make sure your ready this trail is an ass kicker

Mon Jul 09 2018

The trail kicked my ass, but I want to go back when it's a little cooler. July during a heat wave was my mistake.

Mon May 21 2018

Second time doing the loop at the bottom end of the Western Highlands, accessed from Hwy60, and it was amazing. I happened to pick the perfect weekend (2nd weekend in May) which was perfect hiking temperature of around 14C in the day, but a but chilly at night (around 3C) but the best thing ... zero bugs! And I mean zero. Hit the window between not too cold, and before they hatched. My first time on this trail, last year, was incredibly wet and I didn't have the right boots, so felt like I was "portaging" around wash-outs on the trail all day long, and took me 2.5 days (2 camps) to get through. This time I had proper boots and it wasn't as wet - and did the loop in 9.8hrs hiking. Even so, I did spend a night a Maggie Lake which was amazing. I live in Toronto so I drive up and stay at a hote/motel in Huntsville the night before so as to get an early start. Great hike that's totally do-able in a weekend for Torontonians.

Sun May 20 2018

1st backpacking trip. Finished 40km in 3 days and it was absolutely beautiful. Definitely suggest going before it gets too hot and the bugs are all out. There was still some snow on parts of the trail and a lot of flooding throughout.

Mon Jan 08 2018

Great trail, well traveled in summer but thins out in fall. Nice campsites lakeside along the way.

Tue Nov 21 2017

Great hike. Lots of wildlife and well marked and easy trail. A little hard on the knees bring a hiking pole. Winter camped along it, amazing

Wed Nov 08 2017

Very wooded trail. Very beautiful lake views at campsites. I recommend the campsite at Eau Lake. Very quiet and private single site with water access. Although many report wildlife, I did not experience any encounters of such.

Fri Mar 24 2017

Hiked the middle loop in June 2016. Great trail but the bugs were horrendous that time of year. Scenery not as nice as Highland Trail, which I preferred.

Tue Oct 11 2016

Nice woodland hike, almost no views though. The trade off is there's lots of wildlife. Proper food hanging is important as well as a healthy respect for moose. Especially bull moose in the fall rut.

Mon Sep 05 2016

Good

Sat Aug 20 2016

I would give this 3.5 stars if I could. It is a nice backpacking trip, it's good that there are three different loops of differing length to do and two different access points. I enjoyed it as the leaves were changing colors. There were very few people on the trail. It is challenging, many ups and downs, but the downside of the terrain is that there really are no vistas or WOW moments/scenery. Let's face it - most backpackers want a reward for their hard work and sweat. There are some lovely lakes and forest scenery though. The trail is well maintained, as are the campsites. I camped at Rainbow and Maggie Lakes. I personally prefer the Highland backpacking trail over this one.

Thu Nov 05 2015

This trail is fantastic, it has 3 routes all in a loop, a 32, 54 and a 84 kilometer trail. I completed the 32 over 3 days, parts are demanding with elevation changes of 150 feet. My brother and I saw 6 people in mid July 2015 over the entire route, beautiful campsites that are well marked with benches, toilet boxes and firepits at each site. We saw moose and wolf tracks and scat everywhere yet saw no animal's! I would highly recommend this hike and will do it again next summer