Western Uplands Trail is a 95.4 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Canoe Lake, Ontario, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

95.4 km
2,803 m

paddle sports

The trail kicked my ass, but I want to go back when it's a little cooler. July during a heat wave was my mistake.

Second time doing the loop at the bottom end of the Western Highlands, accessed from Hwy60, and it was amazing. I happened to pick the perfect weekend (2nd weekend in May) which was perfect hiking temperature of around 14C in the day, but a but chilly at night (around 3C) but the best thing ... zero bugs! And I mean zero. Hit the window between not too cold, and before they hatched. My first time on this trail, last year, was incredibly wet and I didn't have the right boots, so felt like I was "portaging" around wash-outs on the trail all day long, and took me 2.5 days (2 camps) to get through. This time I had proper boots and it wasn't as wet - and did the loop in 9.8hrs hiking. Even so, I did spend a night a Maggie Lake which was amazing. I live in Toronto so I drive up and stay at a hote/motel in Huntsville the night before so as to get an early start. Great hike that's totally do-able in a weekend for Torontonians.

1st backpacking trip. Finished 40km in 3 days and it was absolutely beautiful. Definitely suggest going before it gets too hot and the bugs are all out. There was still some snow on parts of the trail and a lot of flooding throughout.

Great trail, well traveled in summer but thins out in fall. Nice campsites lakeside along the way.

Great hike. Lots of wildlife and well marked and easy trail. A little hard on the knees bring a hiking pole. Winter camped along it, amazing

Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Very wooded trail. Very beautiful lake views at campsites. I recommend the campsite at Eau Lake. Very quiet and private single site with water access. Although many report wildlife, I did not experience any encounters of such.

Friday, March 24, 2017

Hiked the middle loop in June 2016. Great trail but the bugs were horrendous that time of year. Scenery not as nice as Highland Trail, which I preferred.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Nice woodland hike, almost no views though. The trade off is there's lots of wildlife. Proper food hanging is important as well as a healthy respect for moose. Especially bull moose in the fall rut.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Good

Saturday, August 20, 2016

I would give this 3.5 stars if I could. It is a nice backpacking trip, it's good that there are three different loops of differing length to do and two different access points. I enjoyed it as the leaves were changing colors. There were very few people on the trail. It is challenging, many ups and downs, but the downside of the terrain is that there really are no vistas or WOW moments/scenery. Let's face it - most backpackers want a reward for their hard work and sweat. There are some lovely lakes and forest scenery though. The trail is well maintained, as are the campsites. I camped at Rainbow and Maggie Lakes. I personally prefer the Highland backpacking trail over this one.

Thursday, November 05, 2015

This trail is fantastic, it has 3 routes all in a loop, a 32, 54 and a 84 kilometer trail. I completed the 32 over 3 days, parts are demanding with elevation changes of 150 feet. My brother and I saw 6 people in mid July 2015 over the entire route, beautiful campsites that are well marked with benches, toilet boxes and firepits at each site. We saw moose and wolf tracks and scat everywhere yet saw no animal's! I would highly recommend this hike and will do it again next summer

recorded maggie lake east