Warnica Trail to Wilkings Beach

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(77)
Barrie, Ontario

Warnica Trail to Wilkings Beach is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Barrie, Ontario, Canada that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 324 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Very dog friendly and very easy.

Nice walk. Trail mostly in open area with no shade till near the end is more in a forest before coming to a small beach. Nice place to take a break and enjoy the water before walking back.

Walked the full trail today, as depicted on the map. Took about 30min to get to the beach. The east side of the loop is more of a trail with roots and bumpy, but the west loop is wide and smooth and could take a stroller on. You can also park a bit closer and hop on the trail from other areas if you don't want a long walk. The beach is very small, maybe 50ft wide, but it was a nice break before walking back! Enjoyable and would do again and again.

I don’t know how to rate this trail. I want to give it a 5 for a city trail but all of the off leash dogs have kind of ruined it for me. We went last week and we passed five off leash dogs. The first dog walked by without an owner initially in sight. It doesn’t matter how friendly a dog is. As dog owners we are responsible to keep our animals under control and away from others because we don’t know the comfort level of others. Also we can never guarantee that something would never set our friendly dog off and they end up doing something totally out of character. It is also inappropriate to have off leash dogs approaching our dog who is on leash and being trained on heel command. I even think it would be fine if a dog was off leash and well trained enough to stay close then recall back to to the owner and go on leash as soon as the owner saw or heard someone in the distance so that the dog was on leash whenever they passed someone - I think there would be no issues. As long as the dog is not freely approaching people. Sorry to go on. It’s a great trail. Sad to see off leash doggers spoiling it for others.

Great walking trail. Beautiful outlook and well groomed. There is a bit hiking if you are into that , but are also other alternative routes.

This is a nice trail. Some open area, lots of forest to walk through. Seems like popular spot on a nice day. There’s a brook that travels below the pathway. The pathway through the wooded area is well travelled, no gravel. Noticed many tree roots and small tree stumps on the path be careful not to trip. Would definitely recommend.. easy trail

Great trail with some inclines. Not too busy. Don’t like all the people who have their dogs off leash. Otherwise peaceful place in the middle of the city

flooded
icy

flooded
icy

normally this trail is awesome, currently (early March) it is treacherous and icy. clamp ons wont even save you here. Part of the trail is flooded, which gave opportunity to watch some ducks and geese, but I'll be avoiding this one till the weather is better.

nice trail some gentle inclines to get the heart pumping.

Beautiful fall colours! The dogs had a blast.

This trail is one of my favourites ! Beautiful scenery and ends at the beach with a small creek.. clear easy trails, stroller friendly. Great way to put in a few hours with family !

Good clean easy trail!

We visited this trail on a Saturday morning and there was a steady flow of people, but not overly busy. Our dog made lots of dog friends along the way and all were friendly and well behaved. The trail is well kept, but we did notice some poison ivy along the sides, so be careful with the pup!

First time on this trail, was easy to follow and cute beach spot at the end. Beach was busy as to be expected. Near the end of my walk I was rushed by 3 barking dogs off their leash. I had to urge the dog owner to please get their dogs away from me and she did however, she claimed they have never done that and they must have sensed my fear! Ok, I guess it was my fault, really?? I don’t know your dogs and must assume they could bite or attack so I stood perfectly still. Put your dogs on leashes like your supposed to! Maybe I should bring bear spray! Rant over...

Perfect mix! Water. Well maintained paths. Nice little beach.

Beautiful nature trail, mostly overlooking a river. Nice to have such a lovely place to walk within the city limits.

Very pretty walk or mini hike. Surprised to find it was less then 5 minutes from where I live in the city. Was just annoyed at the people there that had there dogs off leash in a public place! Can’t even bring my own dog for fear of him being attacked anymore. Not all people like or are afraid of them as well. It could use some signage too. Will definitely go back though

Sat May 11 2019

Beautiful easy trail along a creek. Most of the trail is a walking path, with only one big hill.

Fri Apr 26 2019

Beautiful scenery with a stream running along side of trail.

Sun Mar 03 2019

Great spot for a winter hike!

Sun Mar 03 2019

Beautiful trail nestled in a residential area. Came across other dog walkers, families tobogganing and lots of peaceful views. Especially loved the fresh falling snow and the bubbling creek

Mon Dec 17 2018

We used the app to find this trail and it lead us to park in a residential area which was a little surprising but worked out fine. It was pretty cold for our dogs so we only went about 1.25 miles in before turning around. We didn’t get to see the Bay. Overall, it was a nice path through the woods with some small walking bridges and creeks.

Fri Sep 21 2018

Trail takes you out to a beautiful spot on the bay. Lots of ducks. trail follows the creek. Not sure if it should be rated easy. Its a little hilly in the wooded portion.