Walter Bean Trail is a 16.3 kilometer out and back trail located near Woolwich, Ontario, Canada that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.3 km Elevation Gain: 482 m Route Type: Out & Back

This is a long but easy to follow trail. Sad to say but I wouldn’t bring kids here, as it seems to be a popular spot for drug addicts (with the accompanying graffiti) and otherwise troubled people. When I was here last there was some rather alarming graffiti/vandalism as I was approaching Bingemans (coming from the Riverbend Dr parking lot). So long as you bring your phone, it’s an easy walk. It’s less seedy during peak times, so go when it’s busy.

Today we went about 3.5k out from the trailhead next to the lancaster and turned around and came back. Near the Economical trailhead on River's Edge the map shows a short loop that runs closer to the river but we weren't able to find it. The eastern end passed some sketchy old concrete works and the western end...I simply couldn't find. So I think this trail detail is incorrect but would be happy to be informed differently. Wide trail, lots of cyclists. Based on the amount of geotextile visible it could use some new bedding material in places. I am curious to know where the incomplete stub behind the animal shelter goes but did not take the time today to check it out. If you enter the trail from Bridge street, there is no official trailhead parking and you can't park on Lancaster. We parked across the street. Trailhead follows a concrete sidewalk to the immediate east of the eastern fence that borders the Lancaster smokehouse; there's a parking lot there between an art gallery (?) and an abandoned house next to golf's steakhouse. The trail portion between the Lanc and the Economical trailhead (the first K or so) isn't great but it's partially treed and there are some good views of the river. Once you get past the trailhead you are in more green cover and there are some unofficial side trails that can take you down to river side. Grade changes are nontrivial in a a few spots! We saw cedar waxwings, possibly some killdeer, woodpeckers. Seeding jack in the pulpit and mayapples. Unfortunately also some fragomytes! Next time we'll go in at the secondary trailhead off of river's edge and make our way over to the bingemans area.

This is a nice one and I enjoyed hiking. you can find good scence toward the river. The main issue might be the parking since it was clear to me where I should park the car so I ended up parking in the parking lot of a compay!

I started at Shirley Ave parking lot. There is a canoe access point by the Grand River close to parking lot. The trail is well maintained with small stone gravel as cover. It rained alt the day prior and it was pretty dry today until I got closer to Bingeman's campground. There were patches of water covering a bit of trail but it was easily avoided. I've walked the tail on the other side of Bingeman's and it is much muddier. But I didn't walk the part today. The trail is easy but there are a few minor hills to climb. There are both sunny and shady areas. Passed people biking, running and dog walking. Some irresponsible people did not have their dogs on a leash but most did. The trail runs beside the Grand River but most of the time there are trees blocking the view of it. Will go again as close to my place.

Was good.

Started at the golf course and went to the tower. Nice walk.

Pretty nice trail. Easy. Great condition for hiking after so much rain the night before. Great spot for photo taking if your into photography. It would be lovely in the summer. Probably nicer to see the beaver dam too.

Saturday, October 07, 2017

A trail with amazing potential, BUT, the cities of Kitchener and Waterloo have failed to make it a priority. The trail itself is very scenic, however is is not connected. There are at least a dozen short sections along the Grand river. Hopefully one day it will be just one.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Nice trail. Lots of rolling ups and downs that make it a little more interesting. I couldn't find the trail head as it's marked on the map (not sure where you're supposed to park), but there is a trail head on Riverbend drive labeled "Economical Insurance Trailway." I hiked from that trailhead to Bingemans and back. Took about 90 minutes total. Best animal sighting was a garter snake on the pathway.

recorded Walter Bean Trail