The Crack Trail

The Crack Trail is a 7.2 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Killarney, Ontario, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

7.2 km
230 m

A good trail with unbelievable viewpoints from the top in Killarney, Ontario, Canada. From the parking area follow the red sign and after 1 km you will find the blue sign which navigates you to the top of the Crack. In first 1.5 km it runs through the woods and it is very buggy.

Challenging hike overall - lots of rocks to climb over and through with steep ascension close to the lookout. Absolutely amazing view at the top and worth the challenge. Saw families and dogs on the trail. You’ll need a partner to help your dog over the toughest points to avoid injury. Going down is tricky so make sure you take your time. A bucket list hike for any nature lover!

Challenging and rewarding. We did the hike with our two kids in backpacks. (3 years and 15 months). It was challenging at times but doable for sure. Saw lots of families and groups on the way there and back. Would recommend having one adult per child of hiking with kids. Going down was far more difficult than getting up. Views are paramount. Really great hike.

I would not rate this trail as “moderate” and Lake of The Woods as “hard.” This trail’s elevations reserve it for more serious hikers. You can bring older children that are accustom to hiking with proper footwear. The views are remarkable and the traffic is light.

Amazing hike with breathtaking views ...... takes about three hours there and back and as an hour to enjoy the views up top......

Was a great hike. As others have said the first part of the trail was very buggy and I got eaten alive, however the view from the top was stunning- a nice spot for lunch before heading back down.

Good hike. Only the last part is scrambly. Good views from the top. It took me 2:40 hrs to complete the hike.

Age 37 male, 135lbs. Did this with my 35-year-old gf. I found it really easy. If this is labelled 'hard', it kind of makes the 'hard' designation useless, since there are countless trails I've done that are much, much, much more challenging. It's still a nice little hike... simple walk on a path through the woods for the first half, then some nice going up rocks until one gets to the top. Nice views up there of the surrounding area. We went on a nice sunny weekday in mid-June, before school finished for the year. There were people certainly, but not too busy, starting at 11am. Didn't see any wildlife. Bugs were annoying and got some bites despite multiple OFF sprayings, but not horrible. If we had put on our nets and all that, we probably would not have been bitten at all.

Without question one of my favourite trails. Some fun scrambling rewarded with incredible views!

Awesome walk lots of fun..

i did the trail all the way to the crack didnt do the full loop but the 3 hour trip there and back was worth it amazing veiw just very up hill and treacherous

rock climbing

awesome hike. first 2km ho hum forest walk. final push is craggy steep and awesome. gotta have your wits about you on the steep terrain.

Amazing trail, especially in the fall. I would love to do it again - every year

The hike was very busy with people. Some parts of the hike were very hard and almost impossible to navigate, need good foot wear and stamina for this one.

Always love this trail.
View is worth the work!

Loved it - just a little tricky near the top (loose rock) but all and all very doable and a great view. Some nice stands of hemlocks and pines too for the tree lovers like me.

Great day hike. Relatively flat at first then a gradual ascent that is somewhat exposed. If you are doing this in the middle of the day bring sunscreen. Spectacular view from the top and wroth the climb. Not many hikes like this around Ontario that are so easily accessible.

Started on this trail around 9:45 am and it took roughly 4 hours to the Crack and back. Due to the ice build up, and packed snow the trail did get a little slippery and hard to maneuver, especially when going up and down hill. I wouldn’t recommend doing this hill in the late winter/early spring with younger children. It was a beautiful hike up, and the view alone was worth the extra time it took to get there. Definitely a physically demanding trail, but the laughs along way made it worth it.

Awesome trail. Only gets a bit tricky as you start to ascend. The first bit isn't too bad but the last bit up
The crack is a little more rough. Amazing views at the top so worth it. Slippery when wet but those leaves on the ground are sneakier. Would not do this with children under 10. Says its dog friendly but the last bit would be less so.

One of my most favorite trails in Ontario. Definitely do it! The difficulty depends on your physical state. I hiked it with my 10 year old daughter and she didn't think the hike was challenging.

Hiked twice with my mastiff this year! What a great trail with beautiful views

Beautiful, would go again and again ♡

my family hiked the crack. very hard but beautiful views. We left early a.m and hiked all day. we packed a lunch,drinks,first aid. we hiked it once with our 12 year old, very hard for the kids. dogs are aloud but on leash. also you half to pay for parking. It is a great hiked but defenetly all day for a family. very busy during the weekend even during the week popular place. ppl were somewhat friendly passing by and shared the path once we got to tight spots. very fun defenetly a good work out but you'll sleep good when home! I reccomend doing some stretchs prior to hike and afterwards. bring your camera! proper shoes needed. rocks are slippery! took us from 11am to 6pm hiking at a steady pace.

Easy at first then proceeds to get a little more difficult with the climbs. Beautiful hike that takes about 2 hours each way. Would not recommend going after any rainfall as the rocks can be quite slippery!

Beautiful easy until the end when you have to scramble to the top. Forth the effort

great trail with a couple of challenging spots. At one point I went off trail a bit and my dog fell off a ledge (he was unharmed thank goodness), so be careful with your four legged friends.

Very fun and challenfing hike. Bit of scrambling near the top. Beautiful views and lots of space at the lookout!

The view at the top is amazing. Must do again in the Fall.

Easily one of my favorite hikes in Ontario. The view from the top is breathtaking!

A must see and do in Killarney . Amazing views from the top .

Parking was 14$ which was a drag but the trail was beautiful. The path was smooth for about 2km then the incline started. Half way point was nice rest area then going up to the top was very rocky not good for large packs. Views from above were great, you could see 2 lakes and the trail up.