The Crack

The Crack is a 7.2 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Killarney, Ontario, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

7.2 km
230 m

A good trail with unbelievable viewpoints from the top in Killarney, Ontario, Canada. From the parking area follow the red sign and after 1 km you will find the blue sign which navigates you to the top of the Crack. In first 1.5 km it runs through the woods and it is very buggy.

Started on this trail around 9:45 am and it took roughly 4 hours to the Crack and back. Due to the ice build up, and packed snow the trail did get a little slippery and hard to maneuver, especially when going up and down hill. I wouldn’t recommend doing this hill in the late winter/early spring with younger children. It was a beautiful hike up, and the view alone was worth the extra time it took to get there. Definitely a physically demanding trail, but the laughs along way made it worth it.

Awesome trail. Only gets a bit tricky as you start to ascend. The first bit isn't too bad but the last bit up
The crack is a little more rough. Amazing views at the top so worth it. Slippery when wet but those leaves on the ground are sneakier. Would not do this with children under 10. Says its dog friendly but the last bit would be less so.

One of my most favorite trails in Ontario. Definitely do it! The difficulty depends on your physical state. I hiked it with my 10 year old daughter and she didn't think the hike was challenging.

Hiked twice with my mastiff this year! What a great trail with beautiful views

Beautiful, would go again and again ♡

my family hiked the crack. very hard but beautiful views. We left early a.m and hiked all day. we packed a lunch,drinks,first aid. we hiked it once with our 12 year old, very hard for the kids. dogs are aloud but on leash. also you half to pay for parking. It is a great hiked but defenetly all day for a family. very busy during the weekend even during the week popular place. ppl were somewhat friendly passing by and shared the path once we got to tight spots. very fun defenetly a good work out but you'll sleep good when home! I reccomend doing some stretchs prior to hike and afterwards. bring your camera! proper shoes needed. rocks are slippery! took us from 11am to 6pm hiking at a steady pace.

Easy at first then proceeds to get a little more difficult with the climbs. Beautiful hike that takes about 2 hours each way. Would not recommend going after any rainfall as the rocks can be quite slippery!

Beautiful easy until the end when you have to scramble to the top. Forth the effort

great trail with a couple of challenging spots. At one point I went off trail a bit and my dog fell off a ledge (he was unharmed thank goodness), so be careful with your four legged friends.

Very fun and challenfing hike. Bit of scrambling near the top. Beautiful views and lots of space at the lookout!

The view at the top is amazing. Must do again in the Fall.

Easily one of my favorite hikes in Ontario. The view from the top is breathtaking!

A must see and do in Killarney . Amazing views from the top .

Parking was 14$ which was a drag but the trail was beautiful. The path was smooth for about 2km then the incline started. Half way point was nice rest area then going up to the top was very rocky not good for large packs. Views from above were great, you could see 2 lakes and the trail up.

I really love going out to Killarney to hike this trail! Very beautiful at the top

Loved the hike to the top. Its a moderate to difficult trail in some places, however, the view on the top is amazing. Worth the hike!!

Nice trail with some difficult boulder hopping near the summit. We did this trail on a cool, overcast 64 degree morning. Loved it.

extraordinary
you need to be fit to do it
watch your steps on the rocks before reaching the peak

Trail is marked poorly. The couple that came back my way said they got lost too. It is a very challenging climb towards the end. Would definitely do it again.

Kids loved it ..Can't wait to do it again

a little tricky at parts but well worth the trip. will definitely come back.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

My dad and I hiked this after a greuling day of canoing/portaging. We were already pretty beat, but saw the sign for a hike and thought "hey cool lets try it". We went up in our keen sandals and a nalgene each and had no idea how rocky it would be. Needless to say the advil went down easy that night!. I do recommend proper footwear (we were ok but barely), but probably the most beautiful hike ive ever done in Ontario.

Thursday, March 02, 2017

Did this in the winter. Was amazing overall. Veiws were the best.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

One of the most beautiful hikes I've had the pleasure of doing. It's challenging, but to get to the top of the Crack and see the view, it's rewarding

Monday, September 19, 2016

amaizing hike and view :-)

Monday, August 29, 2016

A+ I try to do it every year, epic view from the top.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

easy flat walk at first, and then a steady uphill climb for a couple of kilometers... but so incredibly worth it!!!

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Very close to Carlyle road 7km from the main gate heading East youll see 2 red posts. This is your entrence to the hike. There is a sign 1.5km in that says 2km to top it is more like 2.5km and the sign that says 1km to trail head is 1.5km to trail head. I gpsed it at 8km round trip

The hike starts very simple for the first 2.5-3km the last 100-200m I'd grade as a class 2-3 scramble and I would not suggest on a raining day. Experienced hikers can do round trip in 2 hours with water breaks and a nice little snack at top. Would not recomend for those afraid of heights

Monday, May 23, 2016

We did the Crack then La Cloche, then we went to Little Superior Lake, we left the parking at 9:30 and arrive to the Little Superior Lake at noon (no long breaks) we were absolutly alone on all the trail (except the first part to the Crack which is The main stream trail in this Park) but after that : nobody!
Great views, landscape, wild animals... Perfect!
we spend a few time on the Lake. I drunk Lake water because we had not enough for the way back (very good water and no stomach ache)
the way back was the same except for the part from the Crack to the parking which was crowded sadly.
so The Crack yes but start as early as you can and continue to the Little Superior Lake otherwise you will miss the best.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Camped at site 48 in April. 5 and a half hour hike total to the site with 50lbs of gear. The Crack (2.5-3hrs) offered such a phenomenal view. You can see Georgian Bay in the distance and the drop off the Crack is breath taking. Challenging hike but very rewarding. Wear proper footwear and there are steep sections and some very loose rock. A must see!