Sheffield Conservation Area Loop Trail

Sheffield Conservation Area Loop Trail is a 4.7 kilometer loop trail located near Stone Mills, Ontario, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4.7 km
79 m

LOVED this hike. The bright blue trail markings made this 5 k hike so much easier. The views along the lake are impressive. There is a fabulous rock cut spot over looking the lake to stop, sit, and enjoy the quiet beauty. Once you get past the lake area the remainder of the trail is a series of small hill climbs, through very winding trails. Views of the area , some marshlands and forest. The trail is definitely moderate and was a great workout. Saw 1 deer, 1 snake and area was bug free today.
Note. I initially turned into the Dark Sky observation lot. Not the conservation area. Watch the signs carefully. Can’t wait to go back when the leaves are changing
UPDATE- Loved this trail so much I went back to try it again. This time I went counter clockwise from the parking lot which allowed me to end my hike with a extended picnic on the rocks over looking the lake. From there is was only 25 min back to the parking lot.

The Sheffield conservation area is a blue marked trail that doesn’t follow the all trails map except for the first km or so. Then the blue marked trail continues further west before looping back to the north through the wetlands. The trail is well marked with no more than 10metres between marks on trees, rocks or shrubs. It’s got a few great view points especially along Haley lake. Took about 75 minutes walking along with my dog.

Area was good and the trail quite well marked. Although the map as found here is not consistent with the trail marks. I am wondering if the trail has been changed since this map was uploaded. I became confused and didn't end up doing the proper loop. I still managed a solid 5.6 km hike but I will be returning to do the proper loop. The part of the trail that I did do was really great also a nice boat launch available.

Nice hike and reasonably well marked by blue paint on rocks. Some places need to step carefully due to rocks and low cut shrub roots etc. Took a tumble on one and make me think they should trim these to ankle height.

Great trail...there's a nice spot halfway thru to stop on a rock and enjoy the view...

I've gone here so many times and it always brings me peace. I love the views on top of the big rocks, the picnic area is great for gatherings and there's a boat launch/beach area that we always buzz around in. Love it. One of my favourites and so close to home!

Enjoyable trail, especially beautiful this time of year. Can't seem to complete the loop due to loss of trail. But I write to caution the # of ticks. Attempted south portion of loop and within 30min we were covered in ticks. 20+ on each of us. Heads up.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Great terrain, beautiful views, fairly lengthy for noobs.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Love it here. Nice trail. Not to hard. Some steeper areas but overall fairly easy.

Friday, November 08, 2013