Seaton Hiking Trail

Seaton Hiking Trail is a 14.5 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pickering, Ontario, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

14.5 km
174 m

Oak Ridges Morraine Trail Association , Admin PHONE: 905-833-6600

Decent walk.. Wouldn’t say I thought it was fantastic. Views were ok. There are better walks close by. We went in January and trail was quite Treacherous.

Beautiful and well maintained trail with clear signs.

Great trail for running a few hills and moderately challenging.

Great area for a long or short hike, there are different loops from a 45 min loop, to several hour loops.

Thoroughly enjoyed getting right into nature on this hike. The path is narrow and for the most art, not maintained. In some areas the path was clear and there were boardwalks for short distances. The scenery was awesome! Fields of flowers, tall trees, babbling river — worth coming here for a nature trip! Wear comfortable shoes as the terrain varies quite a bit. And yes, there are a lot of red ants so comfortable shoes AND socks is a good idea. I’ll definitely be back to explore more!

hike this trail every day ....best trail in this area

Blocked side trail south of the dam.

it could be a nicer place. IF dog owners would pick up after there dogs more often
also the portable washrooms are in horrible condition. they are not attended too as often as they should be.
also I really wish "DOG WALKERS" would not bring 5 PLUS BIG DOGS in the SMALL DOG off leash area as small dogs have gotten hurt

Went yesterday for a walk with my pup and the trails were covered in red aunts, I’ve never seen so many.

Trail head in Locust Hill is infested with Red Ants. We had to get our dog into the river to get them off, ran back to the car after and still had to pick about 15 off of her. We must of disturbed them on the way in because they were everywhere on the way out.
The trail seemed really overgrown this time. We havent been in a couple years.

I made my own South Side Loop and it was great! A lot of variety from smooth paths to rock scrambling! There's even a river crossing! Rough, Rocky, Slopey, Bushy. Wear long pants! There might be a beaver in the area. Pack atleast 1.5L water, Sandwich, 2-3 Cereal bars.

Good for group hiking. Easy to get lost

Was there recently and the trail was seriously overgrown and there is Giant Hogweed around the northern part of the trail. Construction under the 407 also makes it difficult to access. We did however see a beaver.

I used to love bringing our husky through the trails - as it isn’t as busy as other trails in Durham Region - but recently have avoided it because it has become very overused.

This used to be one my favourite local spots. Back in 2012-2013 I would have given this a solid 5/5 star rating. The trail since then has been seriously overused and suffers from lots of erosion (the whitevale section in particular). And now a construction site for a new subdivision boarders the southern portions of the trail.

Late sept - oct is the best time to go, as the mosquitos & deerfly are BRUTAL throughout summer.

Having said all that, the trail does have nice sections especially in late fall and early spring. If you do the whole trail return trip is 5-7 hours pending on your pace, which is longer than most of the other trails within the area.

Friday, February 16, 2018

Was a nice trial to walk in the winter, looking forward to seeing it in the summer. Slightly icy on some paths but easy to follow and nice scenery. Was hard to find using the directions on this app. The entrance we found was on Mutual street in Pickering. Had a parking lot there that was fee. Also has a play ground and a soccer field. Will defiantly be back again.

Thursday, February 01, 2018

Very good

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

The trail itself is amazing! It’s gorgeous with lots of different elevations. There’s also an off-leash fenced dog park in the south end of the trail. Dogs must be on leash on the trail though. Unfortunately enforcement of this rule is minimal as everyone let’s their dogs off leash on the trail. We probably won’t be back again because our pup was attacked by two different dogs who were off leash on the trail. One lady claimed her dog “didn’t like dogs who were not neutered”. Our pup was 4 months at the time and isn’t scheduled for a neutering until 1 year. Nevertheless, how could you allow your dog to roam free off leash when you KNOW your dog may potentially be a threat to other dogs, dog owners and walkers? Definitely such a negligent act. Wouldn’t trust having our pup on the trail again. Even though we kept him on leash, it’s hard to control other dogs and the actions of other owners.

Monday, December 04, 2017

we started at HWY 7, the trail was closed at the 407 bridge (I think) there were signs up saying use at own risk. We did, went down to Whitevail and back, its bit a not a bad trail to walk, the trails are well marked. the weather wasn't the greatest, damp and foggy so we only seen 1 other pair of hikers on the trail. There wasn't that much took look at other then dead bent trees from the ice storm a few years ago.Going to start at Whitevail and head south next time and eventually finish the whole trail

Sunday, September 24, 2017

This was what I consider to be my first real hiking trail as my previous excursions were basically the WFT and various conservation area trails which are super easy. The Seaton is a gem, easily accessible, great viewpoints due to the ridge's elevation and challenging in spots. Development continues to encroach on the trail which now backs onto sub-division construction in areas. Suggest you do this trail while it is still all there.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Great trail with awesome elevation. caution when crossing the river section.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

not a good trail for dogs ... way too many red ants! my dogs feet got bitten so much ... poor girl ☹

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Love the elevation change, stream, and scenery. Not too shabby for so close to Toronto.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Very good trail run for novice runners. All routes are well marked.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Great trail, many paths perfect for the novice Hiker!

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Nice for people with almost no hiking experience like myself haha

Thursday, September 08, 2016

I was amazed that this trail was so close to Markham. It is truly beautiful and serene. It follows a river for most of the trail along with some forays into the woods. The trail is easy and suitable for family hikes for the first mile starting at Whitevale road (where it is labelled Seaton Trail South. After the first Mile going South, there are some significant elevation changes and some steep cliffs - less advisible for young children or those who are looking for an easy stroll. It was a good workout out and back for a very fit middle aged individual.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Not a very well maintained trail unfortunately. Started walking off of hey 7 entrance and after 10 minutes in, turned around and went back to the car because of fenced of area and on inviting sign that says use at own risk. Scary and no thank you. So much for this trail! Hope they can do some maintenance and bring it to life!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

First time on the trail. Started at highway 7 and wandered through for a few kilometres. I wouldnt say its difficult at all but there is quite a few different routes you can take and the scenery isnt too shabby!

Friday, February 05, 2016

One of my favorite places in the city. Sneak off into a woodsy wonderland while minutes away from the hustle and bustle of Scarborough and pickering living. We sneak in a 24k (End to End and back) starting up at highway 7. Absolutely love this place! #noplaceidratherbe