Scanlon Creek Loop Trail

Scanlon Creek Loop Trail is a 2.1 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bradford West Gwillimbury, Ontario, Canada that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2.1 km
70 m

skiing

We hiked the Chickadee and Kingfisher trails on a gorgeous, sunny March day. It was very slippery in places and muddy, but my kids loved that! The scenery was breath-taking and the gurgling creek sounds relaxing.
It would’ve helped to have a trail map posted on at the beginning of the trails, so I would recommend printing one out from the Scanlon Creek website. Although the trails are well marked with a bird silhouette sign, the entire loop was not marked. My 5 yr old son was getting tired and I wasn’t sure which was the fastest loop back to the start.

under these specific conditions, I'd rate this trail as very difficult. it's January and we're in the middle of a thaw. there is very little snow cover left and what is left is either ice or hard pack snow with little or no give. there is undulating trail here (we followed a little black chickadee marker) with steep incline/decline sections. the most steep parts have steps built in (little help when the step is mostly covered in leaves and ice). I'll freely admit that I ambled along the well heeled path until I was about 1/5 down my first steep decline. by then I was slowly and carefully choosing my footing and wondering about the wisdom of this adventure. (did I mention it was freezing drizzle, too?) in fact, I recall thinking that was goes down must come up. and really if it was this mu-and then I slipped into my first, but not last lunge/semi-splits manouever. this was soon followed by a few bum scrambles and lots of laughing and muttering about my unwise choice in trail for the day. from there on i usually scrambled along next to, but not on, the path. quite by accident I made it back to the trail loop and finished up with only a few detours.

Beautiful walk on the Chickadee Loop Trail (Black) but it was very icy in many spots. There are some areas of elevation and were quite dangerous. Keep an eye on where you are planting your feet!

Good quick hike with dog park. Areas for communal eating. Great for harvesting puffballs.

Upon entrance, don't be fooled by the parking booth, as it is no longer occupied, and therefore, there are no envelopes to pay for parking. Instead, continue driving straight along the gravel road until you reach the parking lot. Once there, you may begin along the trail, which is conveniently marked with several different signs designating different types of birds and forest. In addition, a green sign with bare feet mark the trail loop, so you won't get lost. Overall, the trail is well groomed (as well as the grounds) and the creek features a unique environment featuring amphibians, birds, and coniferous and deciduous trees. You will also find several sign posts and boards featuring interesting facts about the wildlife and environment in the area. Great for kids.

Monday, February 27, 2017

Familiar/ lots of variety

Monday, January 30, 2017

plenty of trails to choose from. most are in the woods. well marked but couldn't find a trail map to see where individual trails led you.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Lots of fun for the whole family. Good terrain with well marked trails for the novice.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017