Rock Dunder

Rock Dunder is a 3.7 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Seeleys Bay, Ontario, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

3.7 km
75 m

private property

The property is open sunrise to sunset from May 15 - Nov 15 of each year. Use of the property outside of these times or without a Day Pass is trespassing. Access to the park requires either a "day pass" or a "season pass". Information on Supporter Passes is available on the website at www.rwlt.org. Passes can be purchased online. A soaring lookout over the Rideau Waterway, and a local landmark for generations. Well-marked trails through mature woodlands, following shorelines and finally climbing to the rocky summit. Part of the Rideau Waterways Land Trust, trail development and maintenance by the Rideau Trail Association. This magnificent site was owned for generations by the Boy Scouts of Canada. In 2005 it was purchased by the Rideau Waterways Land Trust and is now available for hiking through their kindness.

Lovely trail with excellent water views of Morton Bay. I went clockwise, there were a few steep downhill spots, but nothing too difficult. Hiking the trail counterclockwise would be a more difficult uphill path as mentioned in another comment. Mostly shade except the very top.

The trail was great with easy parking. Hike was good and easy to follow. Not too hard with a few moderate elevation changes. The view was gorgeous at the top with wonderful views of water along the way. Reminder you do need to pay a fee to use the trail.

Great hike with a fantastic view on top. You can do the trail either way. For less punishment in some areas, I would recommend doing the trail in a clockwise direction.
Challenging in some areas.
Would do it again.

Hey folks, if you go for the hike, leave your Tim Hortons in your car not as garbage on the trail. Pack it in pack it out. Don’t be a fn Timmy Tosser

I was thinking of going to this trail but it sounds like the volunteers have become very territorial about it. I think I may just avoid them and this place. I don't think that we are welcome.

nice walk. the views in some directions are ruined by the high tension cables

Absolutely beautiful trails! The view is spectacular from the cliff top!

Rock Dunder is a spectacular place and a wonderful hiking destination. It is a Nature Reserve and privately owned by the Rideau Waterway Land Trust. A $10 Supporter Day Pass is required to use the trails. Please visit the Land Trust website, www.rwlt.org for information on obtaining passes. Passes are required whether or not there is an attendant on duty. The property is open sunrise to sunset, from May 15 to November 15 of each year. Use of the property outside of these hours, or without a Day Pass is trespassing. Please respect these rules and keep the Rock Dunder trails open to the public.

This hikes view was just breath taking. So beautiful and well worth the hike. My only complaint is that the hike itself is pretty easy, not sure if it should say moderate, at no point was I even starting to lose my breath. It’s a great hike if you’re looking for views and something easy but still around two hours. Also not sure about where people are having to pay 10$ for the hike? I got to the parking off of highway 15 and there was no indication of having to pay, I went on a Wednesday.

We did this walk today with some small dogs, a three year old and a five year old. It took just over two hours with a ten min break at the lookout. It was quite busy and well worth the ten dollar fee. Overall a lovely walk. Clean no litter, friendly hikers and a good length for a family before going home for a Sunday roast. Highly recommended.

This hike is fairly challenging. The full summit loop is actually 3.9 km and features some difficult terrain in spots. In some places you have to climb rocks. We brought my 5.5 month old lab puppy, he loved the adventure. There were some places that were too vertical of a climb for him up the side of rocks, we’d have to have one of us go up and the other lift him up for that person to grab him. I suggest if you bring your dog, also bring another person. Great view at the summit, it was nice to see the fall colours. The hike took us about 2.5 hours which included about a 20 minute rest at the top to take in the views.

Easy path, finding parking can get tricky, but as the leaves change colour this is the perfect activity to do during thanksgiving! The views at the top are worth packing a sandwich and having lunch there!

I've hiked all over the place, and this is still one of my all-time favourite trails!! Fairly easy-going, well signed trail, with tons of forest views, rock faces, water-adjacent paths, and the most amazing Lookout one could ask for, of the river running through the forest. Unfortunately is costs $10 to park as of this year, but bring a carload of people and a picnic, and it is well worth the price for this great hike. :)

Nice hike with a nice view but not sure if it's worth the 10$ fee they charge per car which I also hadn't expected.

Awesome hike!! may be challenging for some people but worth it for the view.

My favourite trail so far in this area!

Beautiful view from the top, but very muddy in areas and do not forget insect repellent.

great easy hike. if you are from pa my order nj this is like walking a paved path with speed bumps. great views but be wary of the black flies. there are parts that are muddy.

Beautiful spot and views!
Just an FYI- you now need to pay to use the trails

Great hike. Beautiful sights. Bring lots of water.

My 8yr old son and I did this trail for the first time today. Great varied turf and elevation with beautiful vistas...was a bit muddy and wet coming back once down off the highland but we had fun. Bug spray is a good thing to have.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

A really great trail. Easily can spend half a day or longer their. Amazing views and moderately challenging. Can't wait to take my boys their.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

All info regarding passes can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1679673025674426&id=1672193249755737

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Very nice hike! I was here on May 30 and the skeeters were
super bad, I would seriously suggest lots of bug spray!

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Awesome hike. And a great view at the end. I would definitely do it again

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Thank for your correction re:my review, yes we discussed with them about it; that they should not have just walked past even though others were, but they did apologize, and said it will not happen again.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Beautiful and nice flow in changing views!

Thursday, April 20, 2017

As a member of the Rideau Waterway Land Trust (with the exception of last year as I did not receive a membership renewal and could not find up-to-date contact information on the website :( ) and former summer student employee, I am glad to see that the Trust is in fact still active and has begun to do something about the Dunder situation. The last time I hiked in 2015 there were several people off-trail and loose dogs running about despite signage explaining trail use protocols and that the area is an ANSI and has sensitive flora and fauna. Speaking with these people they were incredibly rude and could not be persuaded that the property is indeed private. I'm glad that trespassers are finally being dealt with and hopefully the OPP will become more involved in preventing trespassing but I also hope that this leads to more respectful use of the trails when they are open. The Land Trust does great work in preserving conservation lands along the Rideau corridor and trails such as Dunder can act as flagship properties to help generate funds towards current and future conservation and preservation efforts if people respect them. Also, I hope that those who have been unable to read a sign for the past few years finally achieve that skill. It is truly pathetic when educational institutes like Queen's and Algonquin college are advertising to their students to hike Dunder when it is clearly CLOSED. Looking forward to becoming a RWLT member again once the website is updated.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Possible correction to the reply to Andrea Hunt's comment. A few groups of trespassers were caught on Easter Monday. The other group that we now know were spoken to by a volunteer were comprised of 3 young individuals but no small child. This group was not verbally hostile and were not observed littering -- but they had walked past all 4 "Closed" signs and circumvented the locked chain across the access road to trespass. As another volunteer said the other day, "it incenses me that people can be so disrespectful of private property".

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Re: Andrea Hunt's review. Speaking the the volunteer they met, I understand her daughter, son, and friend walked past one sign that says "closed November 15th to May 15th", another sign that says "Closed until May 15th, thanks for your Co-operation, two more signs that say "closed", and a chain stretched across the access road with a lock on it. Furthermore, I understand that they were defiant and that they threatened violence (actually, I understand their words were something like "you are lucky we have a child with us" -- so I guess that qualifies as "inferred violence". Furthermore, I understand they took the trespassing note, crumpled it up, and threw in on the ground as litter. Yes -- unfortunately, it would be preferable if people who act that way do not visit the property. Such disrespect to volunteers and the environment is disheartening.