Oro-Medonte Rail Trail

Oro-Medonte Rail Trail is a 37.8 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Orillia, Ontario, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 37.8 km Elevation Gain: 244 m Route Type: Point to Point

rails trails

I love rail trails, so what's there not to like about this route. I didn't do an out and back, but rather made a loop, coming back from Barrie via the Lakeshore. Totally enjoyed.

Went for my first round trip Orillia to Barrie today, nice trail good condition lots of shaded sections but as a few people have commented not many lake views, but it is an old rail line so it was not built for scenic vistas

pretty flat not much scenery but a nice easy trail for biking or running

Wed Oct 17 2018

Nice easy trail simply for walking outdoors or jogging, cycling, walking the dog. Marsh area in the northern section just south of the OPP Training Center is pretty.

Sun Sep 02 2018

We hiked the trail and did three stations but found it quite monotonous. This was originally built as a rail line and that is exactly what it is. The rail slag is covered with screening which can be thick is some spots, so be careful. We decided to come come back and bike it and that is what we did today. Still the same opinion as far as the scenery goes but great for exercise. Pretty flat and all the road crossing are fairly deserted so the bike ride can be pretty unencumbered.

Mon Aug 20 2018

My girlfriend and I took the trail from Barrie to Orillia and back. (Approx 75km total) It was a decent trail, not a much lake view scenery, most of the trail runs through the woods. I would NOT recommend this trail for anyone with a road bike with thin tires. The rough road and fine gravel made for a tough ride. Mountain bikes and cruisers will be fine.

Sat Jul 28 2018

I use a section of the trail fairly often for both biking and walking. One of my favourites.

Wed Mar 21 2018

Is this trail good for a road bike, or mountain gravel bike?

Sun Mar 18 2018

I absolutely love this trail, I have gone end to end many times and it is a fantastic walk.

Sat Mar 10 2018

It’s not a particularly interesting trail. Lots of poison ivy.

Sun Dec 03 2017

Great place for families, couples or time on your own. You can hike, bike, run and swim at the beach. There are benches to stop at and have a bite to eat, or read your favourite book or contemplate life. I highly recommend this trail

Thu Jun 29 2017

There are no benches for a break and the only markers you have are beside each road you cross.

Wed Apr 19 2017

I didn't get to do the whole thing but I really want too!

Sat Sep 10 2016

great place to walk your dog

Sat Jan 09 2016

A wide and well maintained trail. Just went for a short fall walk, but I think it'd be great on a bike or snowshoes.

Thu Mar 01 2012

I believe what is meant here is the Lake Country Oro Medonte Railtrail. It's an great trail linking Barrie with Orillia.