North Simcoe Rail Trail

North Simcoe Rail Trail is a 24.1 kilometer point-to-point trail located near Springwater, Ontario, Canada. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

24.1 km
429 m
Point to Point

rails trails

This section of the trail goes through a simcoe county forest tract called Charcoal. there is no getting off this point to point trail. you walk between George Johnston Rd and Vespra Valley Rd. there is some movement in the water so it shouldn't be quite so buggy in the summer. on both sides of the trail, as you approach Vespa Valley Rd, there is marshland. with huge expanses visible, it would undoubtedly be a great birding spot.

We had intended to take a walk across the street, but, we found that there was a corresponding section here that happened to be the start of the North Simcoe rail trail. there was a point at which we heard a pack of Coyotes tipping far away. later we heard some close by howling.

this section passes by numerous streams with gentle babbling sounds. both sides of the trail are private property. there is a section about 2km in that leads up to fort willow.

I can only imagine how buggy this would be in spring, so now is definitely the time to go.

Nice trail that meanders along an out of service rail line. I have heard that bears have been seen in the area of the Fort so might be an idea to wear bells or have spray.

Really good trail. Peaceful in winter. I am definitely going to return to either cross country ski or cycle in the spring/fall.

Great trail.

This was a great ride and a wonderful trail. Also some spots along it said it was equestrian, which I suggested an edit with. This is the third trail i've tried in the area and now my favorite.

Walked from Flos 7 to Phelpston. Trail is level and hard packed gravel, good for hiking and cycling. Lots of bugs. Church in Phelpston (St Patrick) is open in 2017 in the summer on the weekends, a lovely church. Pleasant trail with rural scenery.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

A good challenge to complete in one day.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Hiked from Phelpston to Flos Road 7. Very pleasant hike. Straight and level so not a physical challenge but relaxing and very scenic.

Monday, June 27, 2016

I take the trail from Phelpston to Elmvale every once and a while, it is very nice, you pass a lot of farms and go through a lot of forest, there is grass growing in the middle of the path, While I was heading back I ran over either a Mississauga Rattlesnake or a Milksnake (I didn't see it until it was too late for the snake, it was a downpour)

Friday, April 14, 2017