Mizzy Lake Trail

Mizzy Lake Trail is a 11.1 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nipissing District, Ontario, Canada that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November.

11.1 km
568 m

I wanted to love this trail. We hiked it in early November, and it may as well have been early spring. There was mud and mucky stuff all the way around, and we probably had to veer around these very wet areas at least 50 times in the course of the hike. Also there were at least six trees down across the path. If the path were way drier, and clearer, it would have been a great. Beautiful views, but not worth it when it’s this wet.

Great hike, we made it in 3 hours despite crazy rain! Btw. It is just 11km!

One of my favourite Trails... Excellent for Scenery and Wildlife in all Seasons... Medium intensity...

Great trail! Not too difficult because there is little incline. For the most part the trail is along the edge of the lakes. Beautiful lakes with many chances for viewing wildlife. We saw a few herons, ravens, spruce grouse and an otter. I suggest wearing some shoes suitable for mud! We took about 6 hours to complete, including a lot of time to stop and look for wildlife.

Another great trail. Bit steep at times but well worth the climb to the lookout.
Don't forget to show your parking pass while hiking. The park wardens are always on the lookout.

Easy trail, and very nice. started out mid morning and it was not busy. I enjoyed the quiet peaceful hike

This trail is an awesome day trail lots to see and you might even get to see a moose!

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Too many mosquitoes, very aggressive even with repellent product AND lemon eucalyptus essential oil ! And so much mud too, very slippery. (September)

Friday, September 01, 2017

Great trail for wildlife viewing. Dogs are not allowed due to the abundance of wildlife. We were fortunate to see a pine martin on this trail and it was just as curious about us as we were about it. They are normally reclusive, so it was a fun and unique experience.

Friday, June 02, 2017

A very long and beautiful trail. Make sure you start early in the day and give yourself atleast 7-8 hours to experience the wildlife and the ponds.
I completed this trail in June. Almost 30% of the trail was flooded due to rain and increased water level of the ponds resulting in alot of mud and bushwhacking.
Be prepared.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Very easy hike & was worth it even though I didn't see a moose but you do see a lot of their poop!

For my full review subscribe to my blog
www.wandering-dog.com

Monday, December 12, 2016

A really nice walk that traverses a variety of habitats, such as ponds, bogs, hardwood forest, spruce groves and pine barrens. I went at a very leisurely pace to look for wildlife and did it in about 6 hours; it can easily be done in half that time but then you'd miss out on what you could see.This is the longest of the park's interpretive trails so I would suggest to make a day of it and enjoy.The guide here says the elevation gain is over 2000 ft; that is far from true. The walk is mostly level with minimal ups and downs. Part of the trail is on an old railroad bed and boardwalks are placed over the wet areas. I would still wear a heavy pair of boots as other parts of the trail can get pretty wet and muddy. Be sure to take the side trail near the north end of the loop, it's about a 30 minute detour that goes to what are called "bear's nests", explained in the guide you get at the trailhead. On my walk I saw Spruce Grouse, a Red Fox, a bull Moose and literally hundreds of turtles basking in one of the ponds. Note that dogs are not allowed on this trail so as not to disturb the wildlife.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

This is an 11km trail, and no dogs are permitted due to a high population of wildlife spotted regularly on this trail. There are at lest 9 ponds that are seen during the hike. The trail can be tricky if a long hike cannot be handled, but overall, if it's taken at the right pace its doable. Bear spray is suggested to be taken with you.

Sunday, October 22, 2017