McCarston's Lake Trail via Carriage and Spillway Trails is a 9.0 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mono, Ontario, Canada that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9 km
301 m

Hours of Operation: 8:00am - 10:00pm Parking Day Fee: $14.50

The entrance to the trail is a bit hard to find and cumbersome, but once you get going it’s great. Beautiful fall colours and the lake itself is a worthy goal. Fantastic vista.

great trail network! beautiful with the fall colors. It was fairly crowded on the main trails so I would suggest going on a weekday if you can to avoid that.

Beautiful trail

Beautiful day and place to take in all the beauty of nature!!

Started on the South Outlier trail then to the Bruce Trail, the Cliff-Top, and then the Lookout. South Outlier starts off with pretty steep inclines, but is a good workout!! Did 9K yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed this hike!!

awesome hike and beautiful lookout!!

We took our 3 year old granddaughter with us and the trails were easy enough for her to do. We had a great time.

great trail...tons of side trails to adventure off in to. Will definitely be back to check out the other trails.

great trails

Great hike! Couldn't stand still anywhere except the lookout due to mosquitos so bring your bug spray. Followed a giant porcupine for about 150m!! Very cool.

The lookout trail is well worth the effort to climb up!

Beautiful scenery

Reminded me of a few greats trails in Victoria BC

Nice, not too difficult hike. Party of three inexperienced hikers and we all were fine, save for one of us having trouble with some stairs only once.
There's a great overlook with a wonderful view, and a beautiful lake at one point, would have loved to take a dip but not sure if that's allowed!
Overall a good time, the hardest part is literally just a tall staircase, newcomers should be fine!

This is a great place for a day trip from Toronto. Some beautiful look-outs and nice lake spots to stop for lunch!

Coming from California, I wasn't sure what to expect at this park including trail difficulty, scenery, etc. But I was pleasantly surprised! I went yeaterday to avoid crowds & I literally had the entire forest to myself! It was incredibly peaceful to just hike with the sounds of birds chirping, leaves rustling & the wind blowing. My favourite trails were the McCarston, Overlook & obviously the stairs that led down into the rocky area. The trails were well marked, however at the junctions, it was very unclear to me which trails were which & where they led. I ended up hiking further than planned because I couldn't find the trail leading back to the main parking lot/entrance. Bugs were barely out yesterday, but I was prepared with bug repellent. In my opinion, these trails are good if you're for a short hike/casual stroll. It's not somewhere I'd go back to. Parking is not free...I paid $7.50 for 4 hours. And they do check...I saw a parks attendant checking each car & ticketing. Overall, it was a great experience!!

A disappointment for us. The trails are in good condition but the scenery was bland. After enjoying trails around Uxbridge and Stouffville this Spring we were expecting more. The drive there was very nice and salvaged the trip.

A good number of trails but also lots of hills. Don’t miss the lookout (on the lookout side trail) - you can see all the way to Toronto on a clear day.

We went earlier last week & had a blast. Only thing is, a lot of people don’t listen to the rules when signs say keep dogs on leash. Besides that smooth sailing and a lot of fun & sun ☺️

Good trail markings. There were some trails that were closed for rehabilitation. Good thing there are plenty of side trails to use to complete the loop. For free parking, go through 2nd Road and park on the street.

You can check my recording for the access point as well as how to go around the closed trail on the current map.

Great place has a little of everything. stairs if you prefer or a gradual run up and around. very nice. kinda busy but the views make it worth while. Parking fees apply.

Great trail with tons of diversity, Marsh, dry woods, ponds, rolling hills and a lovely lookout! Really clean but as the weather is getting nicer it is quite busy. If recommend going early in the morning to avoid crowds. It’s a bit hilly so if you go earlier in the year beware of ice patches! Dog friendly but must be leashed! Paid parking at the trail head with lots of room.

A good hike. Not the most scenic time for the park. A little bleak - shed its winter coat but very little spring life. It will probably be more enjoyable in 2 weeks to a month.

Did 13km here in under 4 hours. The park is not very dense with forrest, so not much shade, mostly tall thin trees. There are about 4 very small lakes through the park and some cliffs with a look out point. Parking is $14.50 but if you drive around you can park free on the street in many places. Bruce trail is probably the best trail at this provincial park. Views and scenery was just ok, nothing spectacular. Markings were very good.

Great hike! Go early in the morning to avoid crowds and yeild to horses on the trail.

Hiked 14km there today! Did all the trails in the park and it was a blast. Brought my dog and it was good enough for her too! Not all parts are kid friendly but it’s a good trail.

Too easy

Great hiking area only about 60-75 min from Toronto. The weather was beautiful at just below freezing. Some ice on the path made the hiking fun with the whole family and the pup. We did ~5Km and stayed mostly in the value area looking at rock formations and then climbing on them:) The trail had moderate traffic with other people who couldn't stay inside any longer! We read that there were some small caves, but couldn't find them...maybe due to snow or ice cover. This just means we have to come back to look some more:)

great hike.. did 5k in just over an hour.. nice look out on the cliffs