Learn more

Lion's Head Loop via Bruce Trail is a 9.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Northern Bruce Peninsula, Ontario, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 9.5 mi Elevation gain 1,400 ft Route type Loop
Dogs on leash Hiking Nature trips Walking Bird watching Forest Views Wild flowers Wildlife Rocky
Description
Waypoints (2)

NOTE: As of August 9, 2020, the Bruce Trail Moore Street Side Trail was recently CLOSED by the Bruce Trail Conservancy, at the request of the landowners, due to trail degradation and environmental damage. Access to the Lion's Head Lookout is only available from the main trail entrance at the McCurdy parking lot or at the end of Cemetery Road (and currently numbers aren't monitored even though the trail is generally at over capacity during good weather days). The McCurdy parking lot is a small parking lot, with 4 porte-potties and trash/recycle bins, but no other facilities. Overflow parking is available at the Lion's Head Arena (near the LCBO on Ferndale Road) and just walk 1 km back to the McCurdy main trail entrance. NO PARKING is permitted on Moore St. (from hospital to the end of the road). Breathtaking views, vegetation varies throughout, and tricky rock sections. Ensure you have your map downloaded and pay attention.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (465)
Photos (743)
Recordings (369)
Completed (744)
Erin J
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 23, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

Great trail with stunning views. It goes within a forest and along rocky cliffs - nothing too difficult and can be done with a dog. The trail was well maintained and well marked. We walked the entire loop (from the McCurdy parkette) in around 6.5 hours including a break for lunch and some pictures. We arrived around 8:30 on a Sunday in mid Sept and the parking lot was already half full so I would recommend arriving early if possible.

Balbir Chawla
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 22, 2020
Nature tripsGreat!Rocky

It was my first trail, amazing experience, though I was extremely exausted but happy with my achievement. All thnx to my friend Aseem for inspiring me for this trail

Loren Burns
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 18, 2020
View Loren's Recording
Jane Baker
HikingGreat!

Did this trail twice this year - in the spring and in September. Both times were beautiful. I definitely enjoyed our hike in May more because there were thousands of gorgeous trillium flowers in the forest part at the end of the loop. It made it feel magical - otherwise a bit boring at the end.

Jim MANAREY
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 15, 2020

Difficult in spots. 19kms. 6hrs exactly. Lots big ups and downs

View Jim's Recording
Tim Cunningham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 11, 2020
Hiking

Mixed trail, but mostly Canadian Shield rock. You really look down most of the time, to decide where to put your foot next. It would be in your best interest to use good hiking shoes/boots. I had planned to walk the whole loop, but decided it was too much for me (I'm 64). Too many hills for me, and without knowing what was in front of me, I decided to turn back. I also decided my route back would not be along the coast, but more inland, and it was a much easier trail. The views of the bay are beautiful, and there are more than one lookouts besides the main one, both before and after it. despite the difficulty I had, I'm glad I tried this trail. If I can get in better shape, I'll try it again.

View Tim's Recording
Jump Man
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 9, 2020
Hiking

we started from the south and lost in the middle when heading to the north side lion's head ....so sad, we get into a circle loop and finally we recognized we were in one intersection which we have passed it 1.5 hour ago ... nevertheless it's a unforgettable experience so I give it 4 starts. :-)

Maria Grassagliata
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
Hiking

Fun trail and the view is spectacular!

Gina Deng
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020
View Gina's Recording
Alejandro Gonzalez
HikingGreat!

one of my highlights in Bruce Peninsula. challenging 17 km completed in 4 hours. It's nice to have a beach nearby to refresh after this rewarding hike.

Lavanya natarajan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Difficult one but totally worth the view! All along rocky and bumpy hike ! Closer to difficult hike !

AllTrails User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 3, 2020
HikingGreat!Muddy

Very beautiful views but definitely closer to difficult

Robyn Kazam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 31, 2020
Hiking

First stretch is quite technical but totally worth the aches and pains! Breathtaking views!!!

View Robyn's Recording
MERVE MARCALI
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 30, 2020
Hiking

We started hiking from the lions head arena because there was no parking space available when we arrived (it was before noon). Therefore, when we reached the end of the trail, we either needed to walk through the inner trail or walk from the highway's side. We decided walking from the highway's side because we were veryyyyy exhausted, and the inner trail was longer than the highway. So if you have energy, start walking from the inner trail to loop back to the parking spot when you reach the split point at the end of the rail. It took us 17.7 km for 5 hours and 30 min walking and 30 min for lunch. However, my Fitbit record says that it was 23.5 km in 6 hours. It was the toughest trail and mentally challenging because we thought that the trail was endless. We were only two people, and we never came across any other hiker after the first 8 km to the end. The trail got harder at the end, or it might just be our perception, so you may want to start from the vice versa direction. There were many lookout points, but the beautiful one was in the first 8 km of the trail. I would recommend bringing lots of water, a walking pole (if you have one, we didn't have), proper shoes (not flip flops or sandals) and enough snacks. It is a serious trail, and you will feel fulfillment after you complete it, definitely worth all the exhaustion.

View MERVE's Recording
Fan Chen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 29, 2020
Hiking

Really pretty with many different views (Cliff, beach, forest, etc.) Closer to hard trail imo

Jill Starzynski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 25, 2020
Hiking

I parked at the cemetery road parking lot and the map was not acurate and I would recommend to not bring your dogs I didn't bring mine thankfully and if you go towards gunpoint there is poison ivy EVERYWHERE on that trail and you cant get around it so be careful but I did see a snow shoe harr and many chipmunks and squirrels. I wouldn't recommend for children there are many cliffs on this trail and it's like 17 km

Madeleine Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 24, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

The trail was very hard the first half (do not recommend for beginners or people without proper foot ware). It got easier the second half and the entire way back. The viewpoints I went to were well worth it! It was quite busy, especially on the way back, and I went extremely early. I saw lots of people in sandals and flip flops and I have no idea how they managed to do it.

View Madeleine's Recording
Kathryn Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 24, 2020
Hiking

Easy route was closed, so had to take the very rocky terrain route. Very busy. Lookouts are impressive, but probably wouldn’t do again.

View Kathryn's Recording
Scott Gaudet
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 23, 2020
HikingGreat!

This place is a must visit. Some technical terrain with some amazing lookout spots. Enjoy Ur lunch at the Rocky with a nice . About 19km to do the loop. Bring lots of water. Enjoy!!!

Sabrina Salerno
Hiking

Moderately difficult and a lot of slippery/muddy rocky paths. Be cautious with children. Stunning views at lookout points. Definitely worth it!

View Sabrina's Recording
Dave Hyde
HikingRocky

Great trail with amazing views. Really enjoyed it. The section closest to Lion's Head and up to the Lookout is a little crowded on a weekend, but the rest of the loop is less well trafficked. I'd say the route is closer to hard than moderate, and it's closer to 20kms than the 15.3kms stated. We parked at the arena which added about another 2.5kms to the trail head and back. Took us around 8.5 hours in total. As others have said, take more water than you think you'll need.

Danyka Byrnes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 23, 2020
HikingGreat!

Great trail. Moderate effort. Beautiful lookouts. The shortest route to Lion’s Head lookout is so busy, I recommend doing that section in the morning. Parked at McCurdy Dr Parkette but at 8:30 on a Sunday it was already almost full.

View Danyka's Recording
Lauren Malcolm
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 21, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful but need to be careful... dangerous with high cliffs

View Lauren's Recording
Kira Chan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 17, 2020
HikingGreat!Muddy

If you are using Google Maps - note that the trailhead at the top off a residential street is CLOSED. There is only one access point now - in the parking lot. Tips: stay with the white blazes if you are an inexperienced hiker. The side trails are a lot of fun, but can easily get lost if you are not aware of where you're going. Good footwear is highly encouraged if you are taking side trails - they are very much not used frequently and there were lots of muddy patches. Overall, moderately challenging hike with a lovely view to boot, and the McKay Harbour beach was a very nice place to have a snack break!