Humber Valley Heritage Trail

Humber Valley Heritage Trail is a 19.5 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bolton, Ontario, Canada that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

19.5 km
428 m

closed

Hiked the trail end to end. Some parts of the trail are closed and under construction, but you can take a different route.
The last 2/3 of the trail (if you start your trip from Edelweiss Park parking lot) are not well traveled or maintained often, the trail is overgrown with grass and weeds up to your neck in some spots, and hard to see where to go, due to missing trail marker posts or visible path. Bring AllTrails app or GPS with you, if you don't want to end up in a swamp, for those hard spots.
Some sections were flooded after rain and muddy, but there are ways around it.
Trail varies greatly, from deep forest, to river clearings, to farm land, to hills, to fields or fern...
To go from one end to the other and then back (I had to detour last 2/3 of the trail on the way back, and just walked along the road), took me over 4 hours.
I'd recommend long sleeves and mud-resistant footware.

Absolutely amazing!

Please note; the directions for this amazing hike were SO wrong!!! The directions pinpoint you to the Bolton Recreational Centre...it was once we decided to forget about this place, and just go towards the trees, away from the city, is when we randomly saw the sign for this trail off a side road...I believe that side road was Duffy's Lane!!

I couldn't change the directions or upload where we were because phone was low of battery!

Regardless, this trail has many personalities...meaning rivers, and WHOLE section of ferns that make you feel like your in a Universal Studies Movies, well maintained by the private organization, pine tree spots, and farm fields.

What made it perfect was the bench that was placed in front of the riverbend (built by the HVHTC) and NO ONE WAS ON IT! Whole thing was left to us and our little guy Zeus!

We covered 10km worth (5km In and 5km Out)

HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

It started out beautiful, in what looked like an old orchard or something. Then Trail got super clay-muddy. Which, to be fair was obviously in light of all the recent rain and I found it rather fun. However, the scenery just sort of died away and it was a bit boring. Found a well-exposed animal bone offside, which was cool. Lots of coyote poop and tons of lilac bushes (it was spring, so it was super fragrant and pretty). Also so some kind of yellow jasmine trailside, which I'm pretty sure doesn't belong there--but it smelled great. But mostly, it was kinda meh and I'm not sure I'd go back.

Beautiful hike through interesting terrain. Need better crossing at major roads though - proceed with caution!

It was beautiful and a nice mix of terrain. I like how they have different distances mapped out. It was very quiet for a long weekend Friday so nice and peaceful l.

Beautiful extremely lightly trafficked trail (we only saw one person on a Sunday morning throughout our whole hike). There are some steep hills and slightly rocky and rough terrain and some portions of the trail are slightly overgrown but overall was easy to navigate. There are white trail markers the whole way which made the trail easy to follow. The Duffy's lane road crossing is a little difficult to figure out as we couldn't find a clear break in the fence (ended up going under) but the trail picks back up right on the other side. Lots of shade cover, great for the dogs! Would recommend for someone looking for a moderately difficult hike.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Great trail and some parts are difficult which I was looking for

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Make sure you have a map, it can be difficult to follow at times. You can park a different spots along the trail and side streets, and there isn't a fee for the trail. I will definitely be checking it out in the summer.

Saturday, March 09, 2013