Fort Willow Loop Trail is a 4.8 kilometer loop trail located near Springwater, Ontario, Canada that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 4.8 km Elevation Gain: 139 m Route Type: Loop

historic site

One of my favourite trails to walk. Flat ground and very enjoyable if you stay on the dirt trail and just follow it. Wouldn’t say this is a “loop” though.

The trail followed the old rail line/Ganaraska Trail on the way out but we could not find the loop back. The map showed the return section of the loop following an active rail line. We chose to retrace our steps rather than walk along the tracks. It was a pretty walk on a flat level surface, after we left behind Fort Willow. There was one beautiful lookout over the valley below. Enjoyable walk on a beautiful November day.

This should not be a "loop". Its an out and back starting at George Johnston road going past historic fort willow. Or start at Fort Willow for a shorter hike. Nice vistas of the valleys around Minesing. The fort is a really great feature for any local history nerds. Our kids had a blast.

no amazing views or anything here, but it’s a good and straightforward trail to go on. make sure to keep your dogs on leash as part of the property is the governments for fort willow, and the other part of the trail consists majorly on the live train track and roads. i would rate this trail between easy and moderate as walking on the train track with all the rocks is a bit tough. all in all a good hike!

private property

Half of the trail is on the train tracks with nowhere to walk beside on the tracks. Very dangerous. A train went past just as we got off the track and took a side road. If you do this trail walk back the way you came when you hit the track portion.

Beautiful trail, easy terrain and lots of sunshine!!

Thu Apr 25 2019

I followed the map in the trail description but it led me to walk along railroad tracks. It took me a while to realize that walking on the tracks was part of the trail. The tracks are very active and that part of the walk made me nervous and was not enjoyable. I ended up taking a detour and headed back along the trail with no tracks. The trail is completely flat so very easy for kids. The coolest part was the actual Fort site. I parked along the street because to park there it was $6.50!! I might do this again, just to show my kids, but I will definitely look for another path.

Sun Sep 23 2018

Great for a historical visit but once you hit the trail in the summer, bring some bug spray. I recommend this one for the fall.

Sat Apr 21 2018

Came back to try the walk again after being iced out last time I was here. It was good! Not a huge fan of train track walking but it was peaceful and there were some nice birds to watch. It’s still slushy and icy and hard to walk in parts but it’s not too bad. Start at the trail on the road along the active train track and come back up the old train trail and up the stairs to Fort Willow which is a nice little treat at the end of the 5km hike before getting back on the road! A good 1:45 minutes bit of fresh air.

Tue Nov 07 2017

nice trail :)

Thu Jul 06 2017

took me a bit to figure out the the trail was the railway tracks. I'm not crazy about walking on railway tracks id rather walk in the woods. the hike was rated easy so that was expected but there not even a challenge or hills. I would not do this one again. the highlight was the fort which was not large and was not much to see. plus you are supposed to pay for parking. crazy! there are way better trails

Wed May 24 2017

Nice trail. Lots of to see if you take your time. Bring your bug spray!!

Wed Oct 23 2013

neat historic site and trail. follows what used to be an old rail line. nice smooth trails for walking, running, and biking.

Sat May 18 2019