Fanshawe Lake Trail

Fanshawe Lake Trail is a 20.0 kilometer loop trail located near London, Ontario, Canada that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

20 km
556 m

Nice trail, well maintained, make sure you pay for your pass, if caught without it you will be fined. Surface is mostly soft soil with roots and limited rocks. Easy to manage elevation changes. If you set out in the afternoon, be sure park in the non-secure areas to avoid having your car locked into the park at dusk. Hikers may find it best to oppose the bike traffic direction which alternates by day. Great sunset view over the lake while trekking the east shore. Pedestrian fee is $7.00, car fee is $13.00.

This is by far the best long trail in the area. Wide variety of different terrain. It doesn’t have much elevation but enough to stay interesting!

Did the the trail a few weekends ago with a buddy.Really liked it started at 6:30am done around 11:30am.

So I'm standing at the gate house to pay my $7:00 fee to hike the other side of the reservoir . Girl says $13:00 and I say no I'm paying for a pedestrian pass . She says is that your car over there ? I said no that is my ride I'm being dropped off at the Thorndale end so I can face the oncoming bike traffic . She says it"s still $13:00 to park up there . Wow do I need to call ahead to talk to someone intelligent . So I finally get my pedestrian pass just to find out later the other three people I run into hiking hadn't paid anything and never do ?? They were walking the wrong direction too and I almost got run over hiking the right direction ?? So my $7:00 is supposed to used on trail maintenance . I saw a garbage can that looks like it has hasn't been emptied in years , signs I couldn't read because they were weathered so badly and unfriendly people along the road sections . The speeding bikes is a whole different matter . If you don't walk facing this traffic you are going to get hit !! I have done both side now and there are some nice views but I will never go back . There are many many better trails in Ontario that cost nothing . Save your $7:00 or $13:00 and go to another trail ! Good luck on this one !!

Nice trail, well maintained, make sure you pay for your pass, if caught without it you will be fined. It is best if you enter through the main gate and pay there, it is safest as far as not getting the fine, the small payment is what keeps the trail in such good condition.

Make sure you pay your park fee if coming into trail system from anywhere but the gatehouse . Pedestrian fee is $7.00 , don't let them rip you off , they tried to charge me $13.00 car fee . They said I had to get there in a car , I said no I'm hiking in from the road . They said you can't park on the road , I said I'm being dropped off . They also informed me that if you get caught without a park pass you will be charged with trespassing period . All this is just NASTY and I haven't even got to the trail yet . This encounter won't lower your blood pressure . If I had to pay $7.00 for every 11.2 Km I hiked I would be broke . Your Upper Thames Valley Trail membership won't help you either you still have to pay .Trail was OK but not worth $7.00 or the hassle . I couldn't imagine the problems if you were stopped without a pass . Good luck on this one !!

Great trail, if walking watch and listen for mountain bikes coming down hills.

Easy trails, nice hike

been over many parts of this trail over many years. has always been a favorite.

nice trail but lots and lots of ice! bring polls and icers other than that its beautiful...not difficult tho i would say easy without the ice

A rewarding and easy going yet long walk if you round the lake completely. Surface is mostly soft soil with roots and limited rocks. Easy to manage elevation changes. If you set out in the afternoon, be sure park in the non-secure areas to avoid having your car locked into the park at dusk. Hikers may find it best to oppose the bike traffic direction which alternates by day. Great sunset view over the lake while trekking the east shore. We'll be back.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Friday, March 18, 2016

Beautiful

Sunday, June 07, 2015

Friday, June 05, 2015

Saturday, May 31, 2014

First time mountain biking and it was a great trail. Nice scenery. Some of the trails that connect from the road were poorly marked so we missed one entry point and had to back track a bit. Highly recommended and will do a again.