Bufflehead Trail is a 8.0 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near South Frontenac, Ontario, Canada and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.0 km Elevation Gain: 111 m Route Type: Out & Back

paddle sports

Frontenac Park , Admin PHONE: 613-376-3489

Excellent trail with great variety of views. Make it a loop. I did it with my dog on leash . We connected it into another loop and had a 26 km hike. Ups and downs, lake view , rocky sections, open stretches..it’s one of my new favourites..

A favourite! We looped back around to the corridor trail instead of doing the out-and-back and much preferred that way. The trail changes from flat terrain to rocky more moderate paths. Lots of wildlife - we saw a rat snake, beaver, and many frogs.

winter hike, not a soul on the trail but me. Longer, because you have to take the corridor trail in, so almost 12 kms. Some challenging spots because of ice and elevation. Well marked, beautiful views :)

Beautiful fall hike - lots of places to pause and enjoy surroundings. I’m not sure I’d rate this one moderate- We found it to be one of the easier hikes - not quite a stroll in the woods, though - still some roots and rocks to watch your footing on in some places.

We thought it was $12.50 plus tax for day pass, but somehow ended up being $15.50. Nice trail. Diverse terrain, definitely moderate in difficulty. Saw plenty of beaver dams, little turtles basking in the sun. No one was on the trail when we went. Although the trails themselves are marked, there were no signs indicating the bufflehead and arkon connect, or where. Just gotta keep walking on arkon and eventually you reach bufflehead. As mentioned below, the map they give you is not very helpful. It was an enjoyable hike. We stopped for lunch on some rocks. Took approx 3 hours.

Sat May 04 2019

Did the trail as part of a map & compass class sponsored by the Friends of Frontenac Park. Times are super slow due to many stops to check coordinates. A fun day out with the class!

Sun Nov 04 2018

Very nice, easy trail. We used this trail to shorten the Arkon Loop due to time constraints.

Thu Aug 09 2018

This trail was a beautiful little drive from Belleville and the trail itself did not disappoint. I was the perfect mix of uphill, downhill and flat terrain. Bufflehead and the other trails were probably the best marked I have seen. The trail was 90% shaded by trees and ran through several small bodies or waters, marshlands, dams and such. Very wet area had excellent makeshift walkways and trails were well marked. The park map they hand out was not very helpful. Bring lots of water, bug spray, good hiking boots and your camera.. I hiked the full 8 km. Also its costs 14,50 for a day pass at the park. And didn’t pass a single person. Bring a whistle. Just in case. Saw snakes, deer and chipmunks. Definitely a moderate rated hike. Enjoy !

Thu May 31 2018

I love this trail. It cuts the Arkon loop from 11km to 8 so it's a great option. I find the Arkon parts of the trail are more difficult than the Bufflehead part. It's fairly flat with just a few hills. There's a beautiful rocky spot overlooking a lake that I love to stop at.

Fri Jul 14 2017

Nice scenic ridge along the center of the trail. Lots of beaver dams/ponds great for dogs to swim in. Lots of wildlife around.

Sun Mar 27 2016

Fairly flat with four or five short climbs. Beautiful ponds and lakes. Saw lots of chipmunks and birds.

Sat Jul 07 2018