Learn more

Black Walnut Trail Loop is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Thorold, Ontario, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 337 feet Route Type: Loop

Beware of Ticks!!! Stay on trails! Don’t go on overgrown side trails! Our dog went 2-3 feet on a side trail near the end of this loop, it was a trail with lots of logs. He had 7 ticks on him we removed ASAP after we actually did see tick on the path! Beautiful trail, moderate hills great for mountain biking. All signage warns of ticks at trail head, believe them and take precautions. Washrooms are locked Trail parking was open however small and busy on the weekend. We will not be back.

Name of hike: NBTC Rim of Africa  Length: 5.5 Km Elevation gain: 101m Time: 1:20 Hike type: Loop Rating: Moderate  Gentle rolling hills, wide path, shady, well used on weekends

Says the trail is closed, but the park is open.. I think the app needs to be updated.

Favourite loop! Park is now open

the wildlife through here is absolutely unreal! even on a busy day it was such a pleasure to walk through here :)

Great little trail for beginners or those with lazy dogs. Also good for experienced hikers who want something easy for a couple hours. Plenty of spots too rest and cool off especially if your dog is a swimmer like mine is.

Sun Jun 30 2019

Very well groomed, still a little muddy in spots. Relatively easy hike, very well marked trail. Will try some of the other trails at Short Hills.

Sun Jun 30 2019

My wife and kids (4 &5 years old) hiked this trail on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. the trail is easy/moderate with some small inclines and mostly dirt pathway through forestry. You cross several bridges during the loop. The trail is very friendly for dogs however trail rules state they must be kept on leash. Generally just maintaining control of your dog is the expectation here; so just use your discretion. Overall it's a very nice trail with plenty to explore and lots of wild life. We even encountered a small snake just off the path! Enjoy on a dry day for less mud! Highly recommended though.

Sun May 26 2019

lovely trail! great for bird watching - loads of cardinals, indigo buntings, goldfinches, and we even saw a rose-breasted grosbeak! will definitely walk this one again

Sun May 26 2019

Lovely trail when dry. Scrambly when wet. New blazes and trail signs make nav easy. Will bring the kids when dry.

Sat May 18 2019

Pretty simple trail, mostly gravel unless you go onto a side trail. Side trail 4 was very muddy today

Wed May 15 2019

beautiful

Wed Apr 17 2019

becareful after the rain... very muddy but still alot of fun

Fri Aug 31 2018

Great hiking trail but there is a Firearms range nearby so please, don't bring your dog... had to cut short my outing short because my dog was terrorized.

Sun Jul 15 2018

Awesome little hike!!! My brother and his girfriend and my wife and I along with my 4 year old daughter hiked this trail with relative ease! Some challenging terrain and many bridges! We were also fortunate enough to see a beaver (I think), a deer, snakes and other woodland creatures. Highly recommend! They also have a few bathrooms for the little ones who forget to go before you leave!

Sat Oct 21 2017

We did this trail with our daughters and German shepherd numerous times as its close to home, Our daughters are 5 and3 and both had no issues completing this loop.its a nice little hike . One of the nicest in the Niagara region

Mon Sep 04 2017

nice trail easy access from end of wiley rd