Gros Morne Mountain Trail is a 9.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Norris Point, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 9.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,824 feet Route Type: Loop

The beginning of this hike is quite steep and can be difficult for some. On the loop back, the trail is much easier. Prepare for wind and slippery conditions with layers and sturdy shoes. It has been reported that the summit with views has been closed for June due to Ptarmigan breeding. Mountain portion of trail is closed annually from May 1 to last Friday in June to protect caribou that are calving and Rock ptarmigan that are nesting on the mountain.

I did it in the rain and with clouds covering the summit, which is not advisable safety wise at all. The Park Service says to turn back at the base without climbing the mountain under these conditions. I did it under these conditions anyway because I am a very experienced hiker and love the thrill of it. The summit was brutally windy and cold and literally freezing at 32/0 degrees in late August (it was unseasonably cold generally though). I could see nothing at the summit due to the clouds, but below the cloud line on the way up and down gave some amazing views. I even had clear skies on the way down for a bit and the views of the lush valleys and waterfalls falling from other mountains were amazing. Be prepared as if you needed to spend a night on the mountain, including lots of water, food, and spare warm clothing, because you may just end up doing that if you fall off the trail, especially at the summit. At the summit, don’t proceed from one rock cairn to another without being able to set your sights on the next cairn if you’re blinded in the clouds. If the conditions are bad, you’re going up the mountain for the experience of saying you did it with hopes of breaks in the weather for views. If you just want views, don’t put your safety at risk and try it when the weather is good. It’s a a serious physical challenge even in the best weather and being physically fit. Being slowed by the severe weather made this an 8 hour round trip for me breaking for lunch behind the rock wind wall some brave people made on the summit.

Awesome but challenging hike. Great views at the top

Beautiful looped hiking trail. It’s classification as “difficult” is accurate. It is important to be well prepared for this hike with water, snacks, change of clothes, and other necessities.

Hiked it in September and saw several moose ... 2 on the actual trail. Once you reach the base it is a very steep, long climb to the top. It is beautiful up there. Some people in my group turned back at the base. Need to be mobile. The longest part is coming down because of all the rocks and it was wet. Hard to keep a steady footing. Loved the challenge.

This was a hard hike with a tough ascent! Would have been worth it... if it didnt get socked in at top! Hard rocky footing on way down Not my favourite hike!

Well, we tried! Forecast called for partly sunny. We took our chances and hiked to the base. Low clouds made it impossible to go up. That being said, the trail going to the base was very exciting. 2 days of rain made for slightly muddy conditions and the trail was pretty much a small stream. Some staircases could have passed for backyard water features. Made from some awesome photos! Gros Morne: 1 Us: 0 We'll definitely be back!

This is a very challenging hike to do for an averaged fit person. On the way up, you are climbing a very steep gully that is covered in loose rocks. I scrambled half of my way up. That part took me about 75 minutes. On the way down, you are faced with a very long descend on a rugged trail. This part took me about 2 hrs. The whole hike was 7 and a half hours for me including one and a half hours on the top. It was very windy on the top and most people chose to take their pictures quickly and move forward. With difficulties put aside, the view on the top is absolutely stunning and unique. Ten Mile Pond is completely captured in your view and it is somewhat different from Norwegian fjords. Looking across the pond, you will see lakes on the top of the mountain. This is the hardest hike I have ever done so far but I would do anything see the view on the top. I strongly recommend this to who wants to challenge themselves and see the beauty of nature.

Did this hike last week. Definitely a challenge, sturdy footwear is a must. Trail is marked in areas where needed. Recommend wearing layers, we added and removed several times. Took us 8 hours, we had many photo stops, took several little breaks and walked on the slower side. The views are worth every step!

An amazing mountain climb! The entire hike took us 6 hours to complete with a break for lunch at the top and on the way down for a snack. The climb up is no joke - it is intense and very tiring. The top is windy and cold, even on a warm/sunny day - bring extra layers. There are rock shelters at the top to block the wind. The way down is much less intense, there's a lovely lake with picnic tables which is perfect for a break (if it's very windy at the top, eat lunch by the lake).

A must do hike when you're in Gros Morne National Park! We did this hike in the first week of September, 12°C at the start of the trail, almost freezing at the top. We started the hike at 8:30am. It took us 6 hours to complete the trail including a 30min break for lunch. From the parking it is a gentle 4km uphill trail to the junction where the loop starts. It took us 1h15min to get there. In this first part there are already some nice views! From the junction to the top it is a very steep rocky climb of about 1km and another gentle 500m to the summit of the mountain. With some small breaks it took us 1 hour from the juction to the summit. We were unlucky that the summit was covered in the clouds, so no views up here today. The way back down is much more easy, with in the first hour some of the most spectacular views I've seen in my life! From the summit to the junction it took us 2h15min. In the middle of this downhill part there are some picknick tables next to a small lake, it would have been the perfect spot for lunch if it wasn't so windy today! From the junction back to the parking it took us 1 hour.

Difficult hike that is most definitely doable! Views are spectacular. The trek up the mountain is steep and literally right up the mountain. Coming down is more gradual. My mom and I did this hike and we were very happy we started early in the day. Give yourself at 8 hours to be safe. Make sure to prepare with first aid kit just in case any twists or sprains.

To get to the top was challenging but goes quick. The hike down is a long one with a few very nice spots to stop. Pack 2-3 times the water you think youll need.

A challenging hike but well worth it. Recommend to ascend via the steep part of the loop and descend via the longer and flatter trail.

This trail is great. But I would recommend it to more professionals hikers. I did hike with my kids but they hiked the mountains in Banff. Gross Morne mountain I would bring food. At the top of the mountain people have made little shelters out of rocks that you can sit in and eat you’re food.

My neighbor Chud recommended this hike to me and my girlfriend last week- told me it was an easy 2km trail and they had elevators to the top. Boy was he full of shit. Figured I had the day off and was tired of dealing with my snot nosed kids so I’d give it a go. I get to this trail and it’s covered in mud and rocks, completely tore my sandals apart. After about 4 km I realized this wasn’t no 2km trail and saw there was a climb to the top of a friggin’ mountain. Figured I made it this far might as well go to the top. I had forgotten water but lucky for me there were a few stagnant ponds I could drink from. Started the climb barefoot because my shoes were trashed from the first 4 km and the trail became rocky as shit. Sliced my feet trying to run up the mountain after this clown kid told me I wasn’t prepared for the climb. I showed him up, and made up to the top absolutely gassed and bloody. I didn’t bring a jacket either and it was windy as shit at the top, so I was admittedly cold. At that point someone told me there was another 3 km back to the base of the mountain. No way I was doing that. I turn back to go down the way I came up and saw a tour group of about 10 people a couple hundred meters below me. I was trying to get down as fast possible and in doing so I loosened up a massive boulder, which gained momentum and started rolling down the mountain. This triggered a sort of rock avalanche down the mountain which was heading directly for the tour group. I was able to yell and warn them just in time for them to get out of the way. One kid was half buried under small rocks when I got down to him but he was fine. I apologized and they were still angry at me for some reason. I called them losers for taking so long and not accepting my apology. I carried on and felt a massive shit coming on, so I was happy that they had a toilet on the trail. No toilet paper so I had to take my shirt off and use that. All in all awful day but the view was cool. Just kidding... the trail was awesome and the views were incredible. The climb was challenging but definitely worth it. Be prepared with lots of snacks, water, and sturdy hiking shoes!

This is the best hike I’ve done to date! The views were always on point, no matter where you are on the trail! I was nervous to do this hike, because of the scramble up the mountain. However, when I arrived at the base I realized it was way higher and steeper than I had imagined! Thankfully, the rocks are pretty large and there isn’t much movement when climbing to the summit! This eased my fears a lot. Unfortunately I didn’t have my hiking boots with me — and I really wish I had. I wore a pair of Nike runners, and did not get the ankle support I needed. It’s possible to do this hike in runners but I can’t recommend it! This hike is extremely rocky. There are only super small stints with no rocks. So ankle support is a MUST! My boyfriend and I are in moderate physical shape, 23 years old, and it took us 8 hours and 15 mins. We stopped a lot to snack and take photos!