Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Moosehorn Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Alma, New Brunswick, Canada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 967 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Perhaps my favourite trail to date. Hiked this one three times so far and would absolutely do it again. Fun to choose your own path over the rocks; love to explore here. I don’t know how long to tell people it will take to hike this one because I probably spend more time here than most. Wish I lived closer - I could see this trail being a weekly hike! Such a treat for the eyes, ears, and soul.

Absolutely loved swimming in the water holes! Bring a change of clothes in case you get wet (by accident)! Great hike!

Took our time on this one (almost 3.5 hrs.) to admire the beauty of this trail. No bugs, light traffic and a perfect 18oC made this a pristine Saturday morning hike. Dog did well, but I wouldn’t recommend doing this in extreme heat, as there are some steep hills and rocks to climb, giving way to a good’ol fashioned challenge for most (she did great). Although, keep your eyes open as there are a few spots we found difficult to stay on track; a few clear markers on those areas would help. The views of the waterfalls/river do not disappoint. Popular spot for a swim.

good hike, but gets a bit tough mid way on the rocks. not well marked. we went with kids (8 and 9.5 yrs old) and they made it through. the last part for Laverty falls is easy but just a continuous climb.

Take a swimsuit and a pair of water shoes to enjoy the swimming holes.

One of my personal favourite trails in all of Canada. The best way to do it is down Moosehorn and up Laverty Falls, stopping at swimming holes wherever possible.

Beautiful trail. We went down moosehorn and up Laverty . The hiking part took us an hour and 40 minutes. We did stop for a swim so we stayed there a part of the afternoon. Wasn’t marked well between moosehorn and Laverty.

Absolutely gorgeous trail. The hike along the water is beautiful. So many spots to stop and cool off.

We entered this trail off of the Laverty Falls trail at the bottom by the river. The way up was not very well marked and we ended up going straight up instead of zigzagging up along the trail. Decently challenging though! Nice wooded area.

Fri Apr 19 2019

Great trail to hike in summer - can be quite high traffic on weekends. Easiest to do the loop down moosehorn and up laverty. Be prepared to go for a dip in the beautiful swimming holes!

Sat Sep 15 2018

We hiked in on Laverty and back out on Moosehorn in June. It was rather warm that day. The hike down on Laverty was no problem, but the hike back up on Moosehorn and rather difficult. Many bugs as well. We would not recommend this for anyone carrying a child in a carrier or otherwise. We also had some issues staying on the trail as it was not marked well. Alltrails map helped keep us on track.

Tue Sep 11 2018

great trail. took about 3.5hours with breaks and enjoying the falls.

Tue Sep 04 2018

Nice trail with some scrambling over rocks when trail hits the river bed - not hard to follow / or find the trail though. Did this combined with laverty falls for a good hike. A few good spots to swim if its hot enough too. Total time was just under 3hrs, with an actual hike time was 2hrs and 5mins as we did lots of sightseeing and picture taking.

Sat Aug 18 2018

hiked in through moosehorn and out through laverty. It was a great hike with no bugs! took about 3 hours plus stopped and swam at the falls for a bit

Sun Aug 12 2018

Really enjoyed this hike, markings could be a bit better but over all not bad. First time doing it and I was by myself and I was able to find my way fine. Quite muddy in a few spots but didn’t really bother me too much.

Fri Aug 03 2018

awesome hike and great falls and swimming spots

Sun Jul 29 2018

We hiked in Moosehorn and out Laverty Falls, definitely the easiest way when combining these two trails. Took 3.5 hrs for both that included some rest time at the Falls.

Thu Jul 26 2018

It was really good, some tough terrain, kept it very entertaining... 3 waterfalls on the way, with some swimming holes, the water is amazingly clear. I jumped in fully clothed! I went backwards going all uphill. Good workout for sure.

Sun Jul 22 2018

Perfect. Not for kids under 12. Tired makes for a negative experience.

Sat Jun 30 2018

Loved it . Good hike !

Wed Nov 01 2017

We had to keep a look out for the trail markers as it was not always obvious where to go- but that's what make a good hike! Would definitely do it again :)

Sat Oct 07 2017

VERY poorly signed trail, so keep your wits about you. You have to go up on the rocks for a bit instead of through the forest (which is awesome because the water/rocks are super cool, but also makes it easy to get lost). Otherwise, this hike is awesome!! Tons of forest views and water-adjacent paths. Can be quite difficult at times on the way back up the side of the mountain. I recommend tacking on Laverty Falls trail to make it a longer loop and a more scenic hike!

Sun Sep 03 2017

My daughter and her friend and my boyfriend and I did this trail yesterday it was awesome want to come back next year.

Mon Jul 17 2017

Bring a bathing suit. There are a few places where you can go for a (cold) dip along the way.

Tue May 30 2017

Great hike today. Trail did have many trees down it but it was fine..

Thu May 18 2017

Beautiful trail, my favorite in the province. The most difficult part about this hike is the steepness getting to and from the river. Amazing views while hiking the river. If you go in the spring/after it rains bring waterproof shoes. If you go in the later-mid summer bring your swimsuit! There is the perfect swimming spots, especially right below moosehorn falls there is a cliff to jump off of!