Fundy Footpath

Fundy Footpath is a 47.5 kilometer lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Salmon River, New Brunswick, Canada that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 47.5 km Elevation Gain: 2,746 m Route Type: Point to Point

bike touring

beach

This trail is a strenuous multi-day hike up steep and remote terrain with rewarding views of the Bay of Fundy and untouched wilderness. Careful preparation should be done before embarking on this trail. The conditions of this trail is considered primitive.

Best hike I've done... be prepared to cross rivers/waterfalls. Check tidal charts as well! Beautiful views...

vraiment beau sentier difficile mais époustouflant comme paysage et site de camping

My hiking partner and I just completed the trail. The trail can be described as primitive. It is not as isolated as I was originally led to believe. Strenuous up and down from stream to plateau. They don’t waste anytime getting you from sea level to 600 or 700 ft. We went west to east from interpretive center to Fundy National Park. Only Seeley Brook, Little Salmon River, Telegraph Brook, and Goose Creek have privies. Avoid Quiddy River, as many locals frequent this site (we met a family of five with a generator running who had camped for a week. They came in on ATV.). They seem to be down playing the Goose River tidal crossing, as trail is unkept and bypass trail is in great condition. We took five days , and did side trips to Eye of the Needle and Martin Head. Eye of the Needle is about 30 min up Little Salmon River, then follow blue blazes. Bring water shoes for frequent river crossings. Distances on map are not accurate. Entire trail is about 48 km, plus 12 km in Fundy National Park. At western end, mileage is as crow flies versus actual switchback and trail distance.

Beautiful Hike! Extremely Strenuous. The amount of hills on this trail are killer. This trail is much longer than stated. The KM add up to way over 60 KM because the trail map doesn't account for any of the switchbacks that you do. Which is A LOT. We did this in 3 days and 2 nights... skipping Big Salmon to Seely Beach. There is also a reroute not listed on the map here, its right before Wolfe Brook where it takes you an extra 2-3 KM. I recorded all KM and Elevation changes on my FitBit so amounts below are fairly accurate. Day 1 - Seely Beach- Wolf Brook 18.09 KM (approx 6 hours excluding breaks and stops. ( took about 8 hours with Breaks) elevation changes same as about 307 floors of stairs.) Day 2 - Wolf Brook - Rose Brook - 26 KM - took about 6.5 hours of hiking and 8.5 hours total with breaks. Elevation changes of similar to 328 floors of stairs. Day 3: Rose Brook - Pointe Wolfe Parking - 15 KM - 3.85 hours of hiking took us a total 4.5 hours but we rushed through this. Elevation changes of about 200 floors worth of stairs. The Best campsites to stay at are: 1. Rose Brook - beautiful on the beach camping (quite chilly at night, not a lot of firewood for a fire)) Lots of rooms for more than 5 tents, up to 10 if you are okay with getting a bit cramped. (does not have a toilet.) 2. Telegraph Brook - only about room for 3 tents. (has a toilet) 3. Seely Beach lots of room in the trees or along the beach in the thick grass for tents. Things to keep in mind!: Tides!! If you hit within two- three hours of any high tides ( specifically at Goose Creek) you will have to sit it out till about 2 hours after the high tide (It is not possible to pass during high tide unless you want water above your waist and getting in your pack). The tides also affect Little Salmon River (which isnt mentioned on the official map you can purchase) which makes it harder to cross but certainly doable. Just make sure you have water shoes as it gets fairly muddy and wet around that area near tide times. There is a reroute after Little Salmon River and again right before Wolfe Brook! If you keep a close eye out you can probably manage to keep on the main path, but it does take you further along the coast ( with no actual good views) and an extra 3-4 KM. They have changed the path from Goose River to Wolfe Brook Parking. This is no longer a fairly easy cart path. This is a mostly gravel path that frequently goes up and down and actually takes you quite a bit of time to do and can be fairly strenuous at times. Now we hiked this path hoping to get amazing views of the Bay of Fundy. This isn't exactly the case. Majority of this trail is in the woods climbing over tree stumps and looking at the ground and your feet in attempts not to trip. You get about half a dozen pretty nice view points on the trail, other than the beaches such as Seely Beach, Cradle Brook, Wolfe Brook, Telegraph Brook and the best views by far at Rose Brook. Also BEWARE of a large WASPS nest just after Brandy Brook if you see it, proceed with caution. I was stung while just walking past but my Fiance wasn't. There is also big blue flag markers on the decent down away from Little Salmon River ( going towards Alma and Fundy National) that mark some HORNETS nests which are in the ground and you will be attacked if you accidentally step on. Other than that, make sure you are prepared. This is not an easy hike. Make sure to filter your water (people dump all kinds of stuff in that water (we saw some rotten food in the creek on our hike)) and animals may pee in that water as well. Be prepared for over 60 KM of hiking and walking that is not easy and certainly almost never flat.

Did this hike in 4 days / 3 nights. It was hard work and so very worth it. I'd recommend doing this one in 4 nights to enjoy it a little bit more. I have a decent fitness base but I had not trained for this hike (nor had I really been working out at all prior to it) It was hard. I really recommend making sure you're more than half-fit to truly enjoy this one. I normally hike in/around Kananaskis, AB (the Rockies); I appreciated doing this at sea level. Day 1: Interpretive Centre to Seely Beach (8km) Day 2: Seely Beach to Telegraph Brook (18km) Day 3:Telegraph Brook to Rose Brook (14km) Day 4:Rose Brook to Wolfe Point Parking (14km) The campgrounds were great. I was under the impression that there were no outhouses or food bins, so I was happy to see some infrastructure in place (Rose Brook could do with an outhouse, though.)

legendary hike! just do your research, train and be properly prepared to have the best time, also make sure to budget time to see eye of the needle !

Loved this hike! Make sure you prepare. Link to my video which says it all. https://youtu.be/hmWYNJytNas

This was certainly a challenge and we loved it. It is no joke when people say it is strenuous. I do have to take into account that we hiked it in a very short period and the conditions were extremely unfavourable. It is possible that it’s less difficult in the summer months but it is still a multi-day hike that will expose you to the elements. It took us exactly 2 days and 3 hours in total to complete the trail - this includes both nights that we camped out. We did the entire route starting at Wolf Point parking lot to the info centre (east to west). We went during the opening weekend (middle of May) so it had not yet been groomed and the weather was not ideal. It was freezing cold (dropped down to below 0) and rained the entire time we were out there. The trail is heavily eroded so please be cautious and take your time - I think most do anyways. Do yourself a favour and pack only the essentials! It’ll save your knees, your back and you’ll have a much more enjoyable time. Hiking poles may not be cool, but it’s smart to use them. Don’t risk an injury for aesthetic. Lastly, the topo map and the book are not in sync, the topo map and the elevation profile is not in sync and the topo map doesn’t even match up with the km’s posted on the trail. When in doubt, refer to the book. Due to the discrepancy with the trail markers, don’t attempt the tidal crossing with only minutes to spare. I imagine with the right weather these little issues may not be a problem but be prepared and don’t underestimate the power of Mother Nature. People get stuck on this trail every year. This most certainly is just about a 60km trek from where we started and finished - this includes the extra couple of km’s that the goose river redirect adds and no side trails due to weather.

I had the most wonderful weekend hiking this trail, despite the pouring rain. Absolutely gorgeous, feels very secluded, can be tough but extremely rewarding. I would highly recommend to all hikers/backpackers!

Mon Dec 24 2018

If you want a challenge, this is the trail for you. Despite the uphill battles, literally, there are many views that you can only get when hiking along the Fundy Footpath. Before attempting this daunting trek, be sure to have some experience under your belt in smaller, over night adventures.

Mon Oct 01 2018

Amazing trip!! A must for every hiker!

Sun Sep 02 2018

Gorgeous and strenuous. Have done this one several times in both directions and the hill ascents going west to east are steeper than the other way. Recommend 3-4 days depending on where you plan to start and finish. Strongly recommend buying the guide booklet. Recommend spending one night in Little Salmon River and doing the side trail to Walton Glen Gorge / Eye of the Needle. Avoid camping at Martin Head especially on weekends as it's a bit of a local party spot.

Mon Jul 23 2018

Absolutely gorgeous! Strenuous at points given the drastic ups and downs but well worth the climbs. And every spot to camp is a 10 out 10 for sure. Everything from sandy beaches to riverside coves.

Thu Jul 19 2018

Great trail ! Awesome workout

Sat Jul 14 2018

Fantastic Trail. Started at Big Salmon River, and finished in Fundy National Park, and that took us 3.5 days. Trail is well marked with white blazes although white moss on many trees made it interesting at times :). Lots of ascents and descents as you successively go from brook at sea-level to hill-top over and over throughout the journey. Great views and significant hiking in the woods to shield from the ocean winds. Next time I intend to try reverse direction.

Thu Jul 05 2018

Great hike ! Do it soon before it’s gone !

Thu Nov 16 2017

The Fundy Footpath is recognized as one of the longest stretches of uninhabited coastline in eastern North America. The trek includes 41km from Big Salmon River to the western boundary of Fundy National Park, and an additional 8km through the park to finish. This rugged 50km hike takes you through a dozen ravines from sea level to 250m.

Sun Sep 10 2017

awesome trail . not for everyone . 73 hrs . try a little faster next time . people say its harder to go one way than the other . dont be fooled it is not easy either way .

Sun Aug 27 2017

Best trail you're gonna find in the maritimes outside of Newfoundland hands down. Very strenuous though.

Sat Aug 12 2017

A tough hike that allows you to feel like you've earned every view and every campsite.

Thu Aug 10 2017

My girlfriend and I backpacked planned on taking 4 days to finish the trail (Wolf Pointe to Interactive Center), yet finished in 3. We camped at Goose Creek the 1st night and Little Salmon the 2nd. We noticed that every camping spot seemed like a great option. I could go on at length discussing strategy for this feat but there is plenty of literature provided by the Fundy Hiking Trail Association (http://fundyhikingtrails.com/). I would recommend getting there guide as it also helps them out.

Sun Jul 02 2017

We walked the section from Long Beach to Seely Beach along the beach then took the footpath back to where were began. Do not attempt the beach walk if you have less than an hour and a quarter! The Bay of Fundy tides are not a force to tempt. They are strong, swift and you can get stuck unaware if you are not vigilant! That said the rock outcrops are magnificent. We walked back along the footpath the hardwood and softwood, mosses and lichens, Brooks and waterways were all such a treat. The climbs and descents (yes plural ;) are steady and hiking poles are recommended as well as sturdy footwear. There will be a few river or brook crossings. Take shoes off or get wet. Two spots were knee deep. There are two Fundy Biosphere Reserve Amazing Places on the trail as an added incentive

Sun Mar 19 2017

We did this in 3 days but it was crazy hard and I was incredibly sick the last day. We had bad weather also but for some reason I still loved it.

Sat Apr 23 2016

I hiked the trail as part of the fundy footpath. hiked it with a friend over 3 days. we camped of various beaches throughout. not sure I would consider the trail easy as it is pretty steep in places but the climbs are well worth it once you see the views.

Sat Jul 13 2013

We attempted to ride the Fundy Trail with our hybrid bikes. We didn't make it too far as the trails are extremely steep and we were not in good enough condition to ride them. We packed the bikes back on the truck and drove the trail instead as the road follows the trail along the ridge. We did enjoy breathtaking views of Fundy Bay.