Amisk Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Division No. 1, Manitoba, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 124 feet Route Type: Loop

I hiked the Amisk/Inverness Falls Trail for the second time this past weekend on May 23, 2020. The new leaves were fully out since the previous week and it made the forest look so lush and gorgeous. I love the landscape along this trail of forest and crossing the rock face of the Canadian Shield. There were beautiful views from the lookout points along the way. The main Amisk Trail is very well marked with frequent arrows and markers and the trail is well-defined. We ended up finding the hidden trail to Inverness Falls on this trip. If you follow the Amisk Spur Trail at the #5 junction, which is marked, there will be an offshoot trail on the left side marked with flagging tape. It's difficult to find and we had to explore a bit to discover it. The trail to the falls is not well defined or well marked, but there is some flagging tape and arrow signs infrequently along the way. The trail led through the same landscape of forest and rocky areas and ended up at a gravel road with cabins along it. After following the road to the right for a little ways, we arrived at Inverness Falls, which could only be seen from the top while standing on a small bridge. They were somewhat underwhelming and disappointing, as I had envisioned arriving at rapids/falls in the forest where you could sit alongside them to enjoy lunch. There was no way to walk down to the bottom of the falls and it wasn't a very private area, with a small resort and cabins right beside them. We ended up enjoying lunch at a small beach on Brereton Lake across from the falls and it was very nice. The trail was difficult to follow in some areas on the way back and we lost our way a few times and had to backtrack to find the correct trail. I enjoyed the adventure of this trail with other people with me, but probably wouldn't hike this section alone, as it is pretty tricky to follow the trail at times. The bugs were out in full force during the hike, including massive mosquitoes, and woodticks. I ended up getting two ticks while hiking the trail and they appeared out of nowhere on my pants, so check yourself frequently. There were still some muddy sections in the lower forested areas, however, they were fairly easy to navigate by just going on the grass around them. Amisk is a beautiful trail to hike and it's becoming my new favourite one in the Whiteshell. Lesser-known than some of the more popular trails, it's a good place to find a peaceful atmosphere with fewer people around. Will definitely be back.

Hiked this trail on a gorgeous sunny day! Trees helped filter out the sunlight to keep it from being too hot. Trail was well-marked minus the detour to Inverness Falls. Had to do some exploring there. Great spot for lunch, good beginner’s trail. Fantastic way to spend the afternoon, trail was just a bit mucky in small spots. Would definitely go again.

Completed this slightly challenging / moderate hike today with the family. Beautiful scenery and great exposure to the Canadian Shield! Had a blue jay joining us for part of it! Will definitely do this hike again!

We hiked Amisk this afternoon. Trying to avoid all the crazy busy trails in the Whiteshell this long weekend. Trail is in great condition. A few wet and muddy spots but easy to avoid. Definitely will do it again this year

I hiked the Amisk Trail on May 16, 2020 in the afternoon. It was a beautiful and enjoyable hike and so quiet. Definitely a lesser known, hidden gem! This was my first time hiking here. It was an approx. 4.5 km looped trail. The hike was very scenic and interesting and I was pleasantly surprised at how gorgeous and unique it was! There were a couple of viewpoints near the beginning of the trail, on top of the rocky landscape, with beautiful views of the river and surrounding landscape. There were also metal park benches at various points along the hike which was nice. The trail followed through a mix of lush peaceful forest and on top of the open rock face typical in the Canadian Shield. There were lots of ups and downs, with some steeper climbs as well, which made it a good workout. The inclines were all short, but I would still rate this trail as moderately challenging, not easy as listed on this site. There were some muddy sections in the low lying forested areas but they were small and fairly easy to navigate around. About halfway along the trail, there was a junction where multiple trails intersected. I took the short Amisk Spur down to the river. It was peaceful and there were pretty views at the bottom. The trail back up to the main trail was very steep! The map at the junction showed a trail that was supposed to lead to Inverness Falls however I could not find it anywhere... Definitely not well marked. The only negative was being able to hear the cars driving by on the highway, which was nearby to the trail. Kind of took away a bit from the serene atmosphere otherwise. The trail was maintained, well marked (except for Inverness Falls) with frequent signs, and easy to follow. I ended up getting one wood tick at the end of the hike. Overall, I really enjoyed this hike and it was very rewarding! Bonus that there was nobody else there.

icy

Nice trail. The “falls” aren’t much and the trail there was a little tough to find.

A nice hike, a little Rocky but a nice little hike.

Did this trail one week ago. I really enjoyed it! It had all the things I like: roots, rocks, elevation gain, look outs and sheer rock face. I was surprised by the amount of mosquitos for this time of year, although I shouldn’t have been, given the amount of rain we have received lately.

well groomed and well marked trail. covered in two hours. fairly easy aside from a few inclines. we were able to find Inverness falls. only negative comment is the noise from the highway since its so close by

Great trail! Not a waterfall though.. more like a small creek. But still a great stop for a break/snack! Can be pretty steep at times and make sure you bring bug spray. But over all would do this trail again.

well marked trail except the inverness falls trail...im thinking it doesnt exsit. we looked everywhere for with no luck in finding it. however if you use the transcanada trail it will lead you to the falls.

Sat May 25 2019

Long enough to make you work but short enough to stop and smell the flowers. Beautiful, easy all year round.

Mon May 06 2019

Fun trail with some ups and downs, boggy forest and open rock face. Not overly wet but definitely spring hiking. Would hike again.

Sun Apr 28 2019

I nice trail with markers at regular intervals. The only exception was the path to Inverness Falls that remained hidden despite taking several wrong trails.

Mon Oct 15 2018

Short and scenic. The falls weren’t really falls, more a trickling stream, but the hike itself is nice.

Mon Aug 27 2018

short trail, very easy. on the map there is a split, it says falls to the left and a river to the right. we searched everywhere for the trail to the falls but could not find it, so we took the right trail, it just ends. still fun, a little disappointing we couldnt find the falls.

Sun Aug 19 2018

It is a great trail, but a little bit confusing trying to get to the falls from the marked area as the path seems to disappear. Bugs were out even though it was very hot, and some parts of the trail could be more difficult if you are not use to hiking with giant bolders and steep inclines. One of the best things was wild blueberries, they were delicious.

Tue Aug 07 2018

nice hike with moderate elevations along the river.

Sun Jul 29 2018

would rate this trail closer to moderate rather than easy just because of the short but intense inclination in parts of the trail. I did this hike when it was raining all day for the entire hike. some of the views this hike offers are amazing as well as the information markers along the way. we had a bit of difficulty spotting some of the trail markers but it might just be because of the weather that day. love this hike!

Sun Jul 29 2018

Fantastic trail! Went July 28th and the weather was perfect. Ate raspberries and Saskatoon berries along the trail. Very well marked and a lot of (minor) ups and downs. Just remember to wear bug spray! Not that I was looking for water falls, but if you are this is not the trail. Will absolutely do this trail again.

Sun Jul 08 2018

lovely hike, very enjoyable.

Sun May 20 2018

Nice trail! Well marked. Trailhead was easy to find.

Wed Apr 25 2018

We love this hike (myself and my husband and our daughter who rides in the backpack). I would consider this hike moderate, not easy. It’s one of our favourites.