Wildside Trail is a 15.8 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Marktosis 15, British Columbia, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking.

Distance: 15.8 km Elevation Gain: 280 m Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Hiked this trail on May long weekend - we started on the Friday, so we were a day ahead of the weekend crowds! Beautiful scenery and great mix of beach walking plus forested jaunts. We got to the tidal crossing at high tide so had to hike inland about a km to the bridge, and the high tide shortcut was ruthless - overgrown, treefalls, muddy, and we took a couppe wrong turns based on lack of signage. On the way back from Cow Bay we timed it to travel along the low tide route, which was much much more favourable. As well, the only reliable water sources are at the far end near Cow Bay. Don't rely on finding a creek in the east half. The tidal crossing creek seemed to also have fresh water but you have to travel quite far upsteam to get it. And we saw a wolf! From a distance, sure, but that was one thing we got to check off our list! Overall, its a great beginner multi-day hike with beautiful scenery.

I solo hiked to Cow Bay with a decently heavy backpack full of overnight camping equipment. It took me 4 and a half hours. It was AMAZING! Beach, forest, beach, forest, over and over - the forest parts are moderate (hard with a heavy backpack on)... lots of tree root clambering, climbing over some fallen logs, rickety old boardwalks, a couple little bridges, some mud. Always something to keep you on your toes! It was absolutely wild and breathtaking and barely saw any people at all. Having the entire Cow Bay to myself was an unbelievably wild experience. Follow all signs on how to properly stow your food, leave the clothes you cooked in inside the food cache as well. Do your due diligence to avoid conflict with predators and you’ll be fine! I didn’t see any but I saw hundreds of wolf tracks all the way there and back. I would do it again!

Amazing trail with gorgeous views and lots of potential for wildlife encounters. Suitable backpacking trip for families with children. High likelihood of seeing wolves. Follow proper procedures with food. Not recommended to bring dogs with you. Leash your dog and have it stay in the tent with you if you do bring them. Discourage village dogs from following you. Time the river crossing for low tide so you can wade across or take the trail up river to the bridge.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Did this trail the last week of June, it was just awesome, camped at cow bay and had the whole beach to myself.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

This is actually called the Wildside Trail. The scenery along this trail is just breath taking. We set camp up at Cow bay – which offered magnificent sunsets.