Widgeon Lake is a 16.7 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, canoeing, and backpacking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.7 km Elevation Gain: 821 m Route Type: Out & Back

private property

You can not drive to the end of Querry Rd, there is a gate about 5km out from the trailhead where you should not pass as it is a $500 fine for trespassing. That being said, the only public access that I am aware of is canoe from Pit Lake.

This one is a real beauty!! Gives you a little bit of everything. Scenic Canoeing with incredible mountain views & abundant wildlife. Best $80 on a canoe rental ever spent. Easy to very difficult hiking. Up to the Widgeon falls is a leisurely stroll + rocky terrain & some parts overgrown. After that you get parts majorly overgrown & almost bushwhacking with some recent fallen trees blocking the path. However, the trail is still very well marked out with a mixture of flat & hilly. After the first falls with log bridge, the terrain becomes much steeper & still more after the 2nd falls on the old logging road. Lots of little boulder rocks make stepping sometimes challenging as you continue to ascend eventually coming to some short steep climbing areas with two separate rope assists before reaching the Lake Viewpoint. Once you feast your eyes on that view, all memories of your climbing tribulations instantly disappear:) Descending to the lake, there are 2 more rope assists, one after the other & it is about a 30 minute journey. Never did find the advertised toilet:)) but never saw any Bears either:) Bring your bathing suit & pool floaty:) This lake & setting is unbelievable!!Glad the trail is overgrown, difficult & discouraging so that only the very few determined crazy, smelly souls enjoy. Will definitely return again & again. Perhaps a yearly tradition? Anna & Wayne

Great trail, but hard as hell in the last section. The elevation gain + roots / rocks are a killer. Specially in rainy days. Only 3 “official” campsites up there.

Past the falls track, trail is quite overgrown in places, but well marked and not difficult to follow. Very steep and slippery close to the top, but totally worth it. Views from the lake are stunning, and lake is very nice to swim in. Make sure to be prepared to deal with bears, we saw one but were able to get it to leave by shouting at it. Overall, mediocre trail, but incredible scenery, will 100% be doing it again.

Challenging and enjoyable trail! The views are worth the journey. Starts with a 4.5 km canoe from the Pitt Lake boat launch to Widgeon Creek Campsite. Easy canoe with amazing mountain views; took about 1 hour. They only downside of the trip was paying the $100 to rent the canoe. Hiking from Widgeon Creek Campsite the first 5.5 km are an easy-going single track gravel/stone trail. Glad to wear long sleeves and pants because the bushes crowd the trail. At the 3.5 km mark you’ll pass Hanging Creek Falls, 4.5 km there is a small wood foot bridge, and then at the 5.6 km there is a sign “Widgeon Lake 2.7 km”. We found this to be pretty accurate. Around the 6 km mark you’ll cross a large falls on a wooden bridge. From there the trail goes from easy to moderately challenging with rougher terrain and more incline. At the 7 km mark the challenge begins with the upward climb/scramble. I think there is about 4 sections with rope to assist you. About 8 km you’ll see the lake and begin the descent to the “camping” area. It took us about 5.5 hrs hiking (with breaks) from the Widgeon Creek Campsite. Beautiful views! Will definitely do this trail again (once we buy our own canoe) and will plan to stay more than 1 night.

Thu May 09 2019

My son (9 years old) and I spent Monday and Tuesday hiking one of the most grueling hikes I've ever done! Here's to you Widgeon Lake! After a 4 km kayak, we hiked for 8 flat kms. Then the incline began... And continued... Then got steeper where we had to use rope to get up.. then continued up for what seemed like eternity... And finally, 2 grueling kms later we reached...... SNOW!! We had not planned on snow, thankfully there wasn't much. The first 8 km were well marked and the trail was mostly clear. Bridges were solid and crossing the small creek wasn't bad. I really can't understate how hard the last 2 km were. That being said, my 9 year old did it with a quarter of his body weight in his pack. TREKKING POLES SAVED OR LIVES! Both going up and coming down. There were really only two reasons I didn't give it a 5; The trail markings at the top appear to have fallen down so trying to find out way down to the camp sites without snow shoes or a path to follow was difficult. Secondly trying to find a tent spot was nearly impossible, again due to the snow. Also I think we were the only ones up there in the recent weeks cause we couldn't see any foot prints, snow shoe racks or pole marks. Overall I would definitely do this again, even with my 9 year old. However I would leave about 8-9 hours of hiking time if at all possible, I would stay more than one night, and I would wait until June for all the snow to clear. Great hike overall!

Tue Jan 08 2019

Has anybody hiked up any of the mountains surrounding Widgeon Lake?

Tue Jul 31 2018

Heads up: The picture posted by Wendy Lee of the woman sitting in the blue water by the large rocks is not at the lake, that is at Widgeon Falls (2.9 km walk up a trail from Widgeon Campsite). Myself, my bf and two of our friends hiked up to the lake and spent a week there. I believe the km is inaccurate... we measured it to be only 10-12 km (lost gps signal here and there). The first 8 or 9 km are deceiving, it seems like a nice walk up trail and old logging road which would have been much easier of I wasn't carrying gear for a week on my back. You will pass two waterfalls, I recommend refilling your camelbak at the second waterfall before you begin the hard part (again, we were carrying a lot of gear so we went through a lot of water). Shortly after the second waterfall, the hard part begins. I'm an amateur hiker, so I really struggled through it for the first bit before I got the hang of climbing over tree roots with a 60lb pack on. You gain about 400 metres of elevation in the last 2 or 3 km so it's needless to say it's quite the steep incline. Lots of climbing, and there are 3 sections where there is rope to aid you in scaling across large rock. Once you get to the top there is a gorgeous viewpoint, (technically there are two). Great place to rest before the trail heads downward to the lake. It's about 15 minutes to the lake from there. Due to me being out of shape and an amateur hiker, it took us approximately 8.5 hours to hike up and 6.5/7 to hike down. Other's we ran into said it took them 7 hours, some said 5 hours. The lake is stunning, crystal clear water, nice and clean too, we spent a fair amount of time swimming although it was pretty cold two of the days we were up there fog rolled in... I will upload some pics of that. It looked beautiful even in the fog/clouds. The fishing is great in the smaller lake about 2 minutes from where we set up camp. I caught an 11 inch rainbow trout and fried him up for dinner one night. 10/10 will do again :)

Sun Jul 01 2018

Amazing views at lake. This is a westcoast trail its not Garibaldi. tough slog if camping over night. 5 star views, 2 star trail. We stayed over night it was 6 hours up with a heavy pack. Quite, not much traffic.

Thu Aug 24 2017

Smokey from the BC forest fires when we went, it was still beautiful up there, but the surrounding mountains were a bit hazy. The hike itself was great, until the last two kilometers, which were agonizingly slow, vertical, and without an end in sight. Every crest lead to another, but finally the lake came into view. We had a round of drinks but we were all too tired to really enjoy the lake before heading back to the campsite. Still, what a beautiful lake this one is. Glad I saw it.

Wed Aug 03 2016

Probably one of a few secluded areas to go camp in. There is limited camping ground but one spot, which we were fortunate enough to have, has a great set up with tables and everything. Recommend to hike and camp up there.

Wed Apr 13 2016

Wonderful hike even in early spring conditions not accessible from quarry road unless you want to hike over Burke ridge trail. Only access is via canoe/kayak from east side of Pitt river into widgeon campground.

Thu Apr 25 2019