Widgeon Lake is a 16.7 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and canoeing and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

16.7 km
821 m

paddle sports

Amazing views at lake. This is a westcoast trail its not Garibaldi. tough slog if camping over night. 5 star views, 2 star trail. We stayed over night it was 6 hours up with a heavy pack. Quite, not much traffic.

Heads up: The picture posted by Wendy Lee of the woman sitting in the blue water by the large rocks is not at the lake, that is at Widgeon Falls (2.9 km walk up a trail from Widgeon Campsite).
Myself, my bf and two of our friends hiked up to the lake and spent a week there. I believe the km is inaccurate... we measured it to be only 10-12 km (lost gps signal here and there). The first 8 or 9 km are deceiving, it seems like a nice walk up trail and old logging road which would have been much easier of I wasn't carrying gear for a week on my back.
You will pass two waterfalls, I recommend refilling your camelbak at the second waterfall before you begin the hard part (again, we were carrying a lot of gear so we went through a lot of water).
Shortly after the second waterfall, the hard part begins. I'm an amateur hiker, so I really struggled through it for the first bit before I got the hang of climbing over tree roots with a 60lb pack on. You gain about 400 metres of elevation in the last 2 or 3 km so it's needless to say it's quite the steep incline. Lots of climbing, and there are 3 sections where there is rope to aid you in scaling across large rock.
Once you get to the top there is a gorgeous viewpoint, (technically there are two). Great place to rest before the trail heads downward to the lake. It's about 15 minutes to the lake from there.
Due to me being out of shape and an amateur hiker, it took us approximately 8.5 hours to hike up and 6.5/7 to hike down. Other's we ran into said it took them 7 hours, some said 5 hours.
The lake is stunning, crystal clear water, nice and clean too, we spent a fair amount of time swimming although it was pretty cold two of the days we were up there fog rolled in... I will upload some pics of that. It looked beautiful even in the fog/clouds.
The fishing is great in the smaller lake about 2 minutes from where we set up camp. I caught an 11 inch rainbow trout and fried him up for dinner one night.
10/10 will do again :)

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Smokey from the BC forest fires when we went, it was still beautiful up there, but the surrounding mountains were a bit hazy. The hike itself was great, until the last two kilometers, which were agonizingly slow, vertical, and without an end in sight. Every crest lead to another, but finally the lake came into view. We had a round of drinks but we were all too tired to really enjoy the lake before heading back to the campsite. Still, what a beautiful lake this one is. Glad I saw it.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Probably one of a few secluded areas to go camp in. There is limited camping ground but one spot, which we were fortunate enough to have, has a great set up with tables and everything. Recommend to hike and camp up there.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Wonderful hike even in early spring conditions not accessible from quarry road unless you want to hike over Burke ridge trail. Only access is via canoe/kayak from east side of Pitt river into widgeon campground.