Learn more

West Coast Trail (South to North) is a 46.8 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Capital Regional District, British Columbia, Canada that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 46.8 miles Elevation Gain: 5,977 feet Route Type: Point to Point

beach

The West Country Trail is a backcountry backpacking trail that is difficult and challenging. Hikers will climb ladders, pass through deep waters, and push through unpredictable weather of wind or rain. The trail goes through forests, sandy and rocky beaches, rock pools and through a variety of fauna and flora. Take into consideration that this entire trail is a 6-7 backpacking trip.

The one advice I would give is to consider that this is a hiking trip not a camping trip. Keep your backpacks as light as possible. Get in shape BEFORE you embark on this adventure. Will be hiking this again in 2020 if the trail is open.

It is a great experience. I recommend you take your time and enjoy it. It is beautiful and peaceful. I will definetely do it again.

amazing experience

fee
flooded

There are no words for this amazing have to do once in your life hike. As the hike and views change throughout the trek, you go from ocean, to forrest and trees, to beach, across rivers, water falls, then deep mucky swamp, old growth forrest, bouldering over rocks along the ocean’s edge, to chutes, ladders and inlets with wales. We were lucky enough to see seal carcass, bear, Wales, birds and more. This is not an easy hike especially as the weather can change which can cause the ladders to be slick and the logs you need to walk and crawl over a slight concern to take care. Best advice I have ever received to be prepared for this hike (apart from being in decent physically fit shape and can carry an 60lbs pack) is to read “Blisters and Bliss: A Trekker’s Guide to the West Coast Trail” is awesome! Book early and book for the best time of year when there is the least amount of rain, even then you are always going to get some. Some say you haven’t earned the West Coast Trail if you haven’t done it in the rain at least 1 day. Happy Hiking :)

Did the trail with my two sons last week. Took us 5 days and 4 nights. I would recommend more time but weather was a big factor for us in pushing to finish faster. We all had a wonderful time though despite the rain! One note, especially for those finishing at North trailhead, the payphone at Pachenna WCT office is broken. Apparently for over a year now. Cell coverage in Bamfield area is also very poor. So if you need to call for transport as we did, park office was also closed, use the payphone at the private campground across the large grass field.

Travelled to Gordon River on the WCT shuttle and spent the night at the First Nation’s owned campground. Beautiful spot, site on the beach, very kind and friendly staff, great way to start my adventure. I complete the 10am orientation, very helpful, and took the 11:30 ferry to the start (or end) of the trail. Although the weather had been terrible the week prior I lucked out and had sunny/misty days on trail. There is a lot of mud and washed out areas but the trail is clearly marked and I had no issues navigating. I completed the trail in 3 days and was able to spend time at all the side spots. I completed it solo and only had a challenge with the final cable car and one river crossing, manageable but slightly risky. I would recommend this trail to anyone, and appreciated the opportunity to learn more about the three First Nations whose traditional territory the trail is located on. It’s great to see Parks Canada working in partnership and acknowledging the people who were here long before the arrival of settlers (myself and my family included). I stayed at campsites less populated, however I checked out all of the options while hiking except for one. I found the sites closest to either trail head busy, dirty (leave no trace my adventure friends), and with greater risk of imposing on the bears, cougars and mice that live there. Personal preference perhaps and I enjoy being on my own. I took the taxi in to Bamfield when I arrived. Susanne was great! I camped in the local campground and enjoyed a beer and veggie burger and fries at the cafe. Lots happening in this interesting, tiny town and I would love to come back in July during their two week music festival.

bridge out