West Coast Trail (South to North)

West Coast Trail (South to North) is a 75.3 kilometer heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Port Renfrew, British Columbia, Canada that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is best used from May until September.

75.3 km
1,822 m
Point to Point

beach

We completed Nitnaht narrows North to Bamfield which is considered the easiest half of this challenging trail. Beautiful views and challenging ladders. Great campsites with plentiful fresh water.

Did it june 28-july 3. Absolutely amazing trail and experience. south to north is the way to go for sure. absolute essentials to never forget for this trail would be hiking poles, well worn in WATERPROOF boots, and gaiters.

It’s a 75km temple.

This was my 2nd time backpacking, and the only time prior was an overnight trip with a 25lb pack. First time with a pack that weighed 50lbs. So, viewpoint from a complete novice. This was a spectacular, gruelling experience, completed in exactly 5 days/nights. It has sparked what I hope will be a life long love affair of the outdoors and backpacking.

Absolutely plan to do the WCT again as soon as possible. Will be better prepared physically (knees were killing me by the last day, had to take a bunch of Advil to make it across the finish line), and will do it in 6-7 nights instead of 5 simply to spend more time enjoying the surroundings. It’s supposed to be a vacation! Also, will pack a lighter bag, 40-45lb would be ideal.

best multinight ocean side trail on the island. not for the inexperienced

Just completed the west coast trail a few days ago. 4 nights! Definitely nice to get the hard part over first. Gordon river to Walbarn was the harder section. Mud! Lots of mud but remarkable experience

Awesome trail! Some grueling moments but definitely worth it. We hiked South to North and would recommend it. The south section is quite a bit more rugged. Spent one whole day at the falls and it was excellent. Hiked the trail in 5 nights 6 days (including our day off at the falls).

Just did it in 5 days. The weather was good, once it is rainy it will be muddy in some spots. Being the first thru it was not a issue till I met up with the people from Bamfield. Challenging especially on a solo trip. Definitely recommend it! Definitely do it from south to north as south is hard the first day budget 1.5 hrs per km. I had to stay at Campers Cove as the other campground was shut down. Day 1 was 9 hrs. Highly recommend doing the beach as you can get a lot covered in a day. The longest day I had was 28 km in 12 hrs. That was mostly beach. Look at your tide tables they give you. Bring socks for each day you are hiking! Bring cash if you want to have snacks along the way.

What a great trail

So beautiful! Did this trail in 6 nights, 7 days. Appropriate time for an average hiker. We did the trail end of September. It got a bit chilly at night but with layers it was fine.
Also did the trail starting from Port Refrenew. Highly recommend this, the trail is hardest to easiest. Might as well get the hard part over with!

Once in a lifetime experience! Mainly because it takes so much planning and logistics to get out on this trail! But also because of the amazing isolation of the wilderness you're immersed in. Saw sea lions, seals, whales, and a bear. Hiking on the beach is magical. Tip: bring your own bear cans, as the bear lockers set up at each campsite get crammed with everyone's leftover food and were a little bit of a mess, I was glad I didn't have to store my food in a heap with everyone else's. When I was there, a small cardboard sign on the trail directed us out to the beach, where a native was cooking fresh caught fish and baked potatoes on a fire. Paid her $20 cash and she cooked us a meal right there. Lots of hidden gems like this to be had- so keep your eyes open!

W.C.T. Is a rewarding and challenging trek that you'll never forget. Live your life around your tide-tables and you won't be forced to stay inland. Walk the beach, catch some whales playing in the distance and enjoy the sometimes desolate but always humbling beauty of western Canada's most famous backpacking gem. Oh, I almost forgot, TAKE MORE TIME than you think. Some folks only get to do this once in a lifetime. Tack on an extra day or two to your plan if you can spare the time. You'll enjoy the whole trip infinitely more when there's no rush and all the time in the world for pictures and trail-side stops. Remember to look up and around. Due to this trail's degree of difficulty, one can get into the habit of always looking at where you'll step next, missing out on everything that's cool. Hike with caution but try to break the habit of always staring at your feet early-on in the hike, get on out there, and make some life changing memories.

Can't say enough about this trail. While it is arguably not perfectly maintained, that adds to the excitement and challenge. The physical challenge of this trail is insane, ranging from pulling your boots out of knee-deep mud, to climbing a set of 5 ladders in a row -- all in the same km of hiking! The views have to be some of the most amazing coastal views in the the world. DO IT! It changed me as a person -- I did this trail and now I can do anything!

Amazing

Glorious! Worth every drop of sweat! Just beautiful!! Camping on the beach is the best.

Took one week to finish this trail, excellent views and backpacking experience, recommended to all backpackers

Thursday, July 27, 2017

+ 3 more stars! What a beautiful trail. You can't beat the weather in July. We found a good set of hiking poles alleviates many traction/mud/incline/fatigue issues. Absolutely loved the trail; would recommend the 7 or 8 day version with a rest day at Tsusiat Falls. North to South would be easier because of pack weight loss but South to North offers an easy last couple of days on tired feet. Bring lots of cash (for Chez and Nitinat - you will regret it if you don't!) Happy trekking!

Friday, July 14, 2017

Amazing! We lucked out as far as weather goes. Definitely challenging at times but worth it in the end!

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

We went in late July, 2016. We had no rain and great tides. This is the best hike I have ever done. It can be challenging at times, but is totally worth it. Absolutely beautiful.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Walked September 7th to 14th 2016.
Wonderful, tough, muddy.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Beautiful rugged hike along a incredibly scenic coast line!!

Saturday, August 13, 2016

An epically beautiful trail but a gut check for sure.

Monday, August 01, 2016

DIFFICULT! But SO worth it! Needs repair on boardwalks over some areas.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Brutally awesome

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Phenomenal! You must be prepared mentally and physically

Monday, June 20, 2016

AMAZING!! challenging but spectacular!

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Amazing! best thing ever!

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Amazing trail.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

August 14-21, 2015
Amazing Trip! Amazingly warm and sunny weather! Could not ask for anything better!!!!

Thursday, August 20, 2015

3 words - amazing , hard, awesome. I just completed the trail last week. This was actually my second time on the trail. I completed a north to south trek in 7 days, 35 years ago. This time 4 of my buddies and I completed a South to North trek in 4 days. Had we not put the brakes on, we would have completed it in 3 days. So yes, you can hike the trail in 3 or 4 days, but you would be a fool to do so. There is way to much to see, explore, and absorb. This time, unfortunately, I felt I was viewing the amazing wonders of this trail in the rear view mirror. I recommend taking 7 or 8 days to explore the trail. I prefer the south to north trek. That way you are completing the most challenging part first, when you are fresh. I paid the $25 dollars for a hamburger at Chez Monique's. After dinning exclusively on Freeze dried food, it was a welcome change. I cannot really come close to adequately describing this trail in words. You need to experience it for yourself !