West Coast Trail (North to South) is a 75.0 kilometer point-to-point trail located near Bamfield, British Columbia, Canada that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking.

75 km
1,508 m
Point to Point

beach

cave

Loved every minute of our 6 days here. Can't wait to do it again.

Bucket list hike! 6 days of roots, mud, killer ladders, narrow trails that snake along massive seaside cliffs. Saw bears, sea lions, eagles, deer, cougar tracks... majestic trees in lush rain forest. Challenging and breathtakingly beautiful.

A very beautiful trail but weather dependant on the experience you have. My experience was a damp , rushed one. Did a 6 night trek thinking it would be a nice relaxing experience but ended up missing a tide and having a bear encounter.
Only had 7 hours of sun the whole trip. From day 1 where it was a downpour my boots and hiking gear was soaked. Was never able to get my boots or hiking gear dry even when making a fire.
Although a popular trail it is sill very wild. Had one scary bear encounter and then saw 5 other bears at a safe distance.
Tips - know your tides!!
- bring bear spray
- waterproof everything
- bring tarp
- wear gaitors

Fantastic trail but can be very challenging if the weather is not on your side.

Weather dependent hike. Beautiful in all conditions but rain takes away from the overall experience.
Loved the trail despite having some rain every day. Poor weather meant we did not pause to enjoy the stunning scenery as much as we would have liked.
Wet/damp conditions provided for slippery conditions at times. Hiking pole/poles advised.
Not a difficult trail, actually a very beautiful walk.
We did the trail in 3 1/2 days but only as we did not take our time to properly enjoy.

We completed in 5 nights and 6 days with relatively dry conditions. Careful attention to tides tables when planning your itinerary will maximize beach time and some unique sights. Hiked late August. Very chilly and damp in the evenings. Often foggy during the day. Crab shack at Nitinat a place to linger for the company and the freshest crab you'll ever eat! Bring $.

This trail did not disappoint! Completed the North to South route in 6 days/5nights.The terrain was challenging, and I often had to remind myself to look up and around at what the forest or beach was showing. Our group was lucky with no rain. There were rumours that this was one of the driest years. I can't wait to go back and hike South to North to compare the difference.

Fantastic trail! Just came off the trail (August 15). The most physically challenging trip ever. Beautiful scenery, great campsites a couple of great spots to grab non freeze dried meals and lots of great people hiking the trail. Did the trip from North to South in 7 days. Right call as your pack gets lighter before you hit the last tough 5 km stretch. Also didn’t feel rushed and you can take your time to enjoy your environment.

Have done this trail twice, North to South both times. 2012 with 7 days of sunshine and 2016 with the first 5 of 7 days of rain. Makes no difference to the trail, always lots of mud. This trail is everything they say it is and much worse and at the same time, everything they say it is and much better. One of the most wonderful hikes I've been on. Planning to do it again in 2020.

Everything I hoped it would be; and more!!

An amazing adventure! We lucked out with great weather - no rain! I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be in cool wet weather as I will not be going back to find out! Off the bucket list now. Proud to have done it!

A 75km temple.

Challenging yet beautiful. Wildlife. Falling asleep to the sound of the ocean. Be prepared. This might not be the right choice for those scared of heights.

I packed thus trail from 6/3 to 6/9 2018
I'm 71 years old. I used every joint in my body. I've packed the Serrias and the Lost Coast. This is by far the most challenging pack I've done. you have to be prepared to crawl over rocks roots downed trees boulders. Then go through mud that sucks at your boots.
It was the first time I've used all my packing skills getting from one camp to another. This pack should be on anyone's to do list if they think they are a Backpacker...

A few have run it in 10 hours.

amazing Oceanside trail steeped in history. hard to get reservations for

North to south is the way to do it!

Without a doubt one of the best trails in Canada. The scenery and wildlife are stunning and the trail features some brilliant campsites, all of which are well maintained. Camping on the beach, swimming under waterfalls and scrambling over rock pools filled with creatures are just some of the highlights of a very memorable trip. But also be prepared for a tough slog through mud, up many ladders and through rain. Completely worth it when you spot a pod of orcas or a grey whale from the beach though!

What an amazing trail! From the ocean, waterfalls and Forrest views to the camping sites along the way. It got very challenging nearing the end but oh my, was it ever beautiful! Prepare to do some crazy Indiana Jones type stuff and climb lots of ladders. All in all, VERY worth it! Will be returning as soon as my blisters heal ;)
They have a saying for the west coast trail: blisters and bliss.

And bliss indeed.

great hike

Amazing life experience! A dream ❤️

What an amazing and unique hike! We completed this in August 2013. It was not so much physically challenging as it was mentally challenging. Prepare for the worst rain and mud ever so that when (and if) the sunshine comes you can soak it up and dry off. Otherwise just enjoy the amazing views of the coastlines and rain forests and the crab!

Campsites that we stayed at were all really well maintained. Lots of driftwood for campfires, ample bear boxes, standard privies.

Spent 7 days on this trail - blew me away. Saw a black bear, heard a cougar (yikes), saw some wolf tracks, and had a couple seals following me and my friend from the ocean 100 meters away - popping their heads out between waves. Unreal.

It's regulated to keep the traffic manageable, and the trail is maintained by local first nations groups. Be prepared (physically, mentally) to spend long periods of time with wet feet and gear.

This is a challenging and rewarding trail. Enjoy and safe adventures!

Monday, November 20, 2017

Best Trail in Canada! Completed this one in September 2016. lucked out with only one day of torrential rain and the rest sun.

Friday, November 10, 2017

Likely one of the top multi day hikes on the planet - we saw black bears, orca whales, eagles, otters, deer, swam in waterfall filled pools, slept next to the roaring ocean, climb countless ladders, crossed rivers, counted stars ... if you love the outdoors, overnight hikes, and adventure - plan ahead, book in advance, and do this hike! Bring friends, or a loved one, it’s a long haul! Eat the crab at the river crossing and the burger on the beach!

The terrain and mud make this one of the most technical while relatively flat hikes you’ll encounter.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Amazing trail full of varied terrain with challenges from a walk in the forest to climbing over giant borders to ladders of all sizes and navigating tide tables. amazing views and people. We took 5 nights and 6 days. Think twice about every pound you carry...you will feel it.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Loved every minute of this hike

Thursday, August 24, 2017

This trail kickstarted my love for hiking and camping. My buddy and I did it in 4 nights, but if I do it again I would go for 5 nights and make sure I spend a night at Tsusiat Falls. It's hard but doable, as long as you're prepared. Rained hard on the last day, so make sure all your gear is waterproof. And don't forget gaiters!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Best trip to get back into backpacking! Not quite as hard as I expected it to be but I had great weather

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Wooooowwww!!!!

Monday, June 19, 2017

It was everything I thought it would be and more. I would recommend it. It's been a few years since I did the trail

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

So beautiful. I can't wait to do it again and spend more time in certain spots. Follow the Gray Whale migration north in the summer months! Many birds and intertidal wonders! Some trail sections are poorly maintained after flooding and high traffic. Trail is well marked and easy to follow. On a final note, be prepared - You better learn to like ladders!