Wedgemount Lake is a 10.3 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Whistler, British Columbia, Canada that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September.

10.3 km
1,200 m

Hiked Nov 4. Snow from about halfway. snowshoes not required yet, but spikes a bonus over the boulder fields. Beautiful once the clouds cleared.

Love this hike! We started the trail around 10:30 pm, so can't comment much on the views up. The trail is very easy to follow even by headlamp. It took 3 hours up with overnight packs. Mostly incline the entire way, but only the last km before the lake is technical, and a couple of rock fields. Look for marmots and pikas in the rocks! The lake and glacier is a gorgeous destination, but there are a few additional scrambles that are well worth the time if you like a challenge. Took 2.5 hours down and the heavy packs made going down more of a challenge than up. It's quite a popular trail, understandably so!

Fabulous hike. The lake is amazingly beaut and rugged. Be sure to take the path to the glacier just past the end of the lake.

A great hike! Definitely not an easy hike. Did with a friend as an overnight camp, so had our packs which added a little difficulty. Took us 3.25hrs up and 2.75hrs down. Was the 2nd week of September and the lake was clouded in and it snowed, temp was hovering around 0 degrees so layers were helpful s when you stopped it got cold quick.

Hike itself is a near constant uphill at most points and a steady pace ensures no burn out (i.e. don't rush it at the easy points as the steeper points will take more out of you.) Take your time on the last 500m or so as it is an open, steep climb along large rocks and slippery gravel.

I love steep hikes, and this one definitely satisfied. As a day hike, this took my sister and I 6 hours total (3 hours up, 2 down, and 1 to enjoy the stupendous views at the top).

Even though I did this hike in regular running shoes, I would recommend using proper hiking shoes/boots because of how steep it is. Also, be sure to bring extra layers because it was quite cold at the top.

I noticed lots of people commenting about bugs so we made sure to use bug spray and we encountered hardly any. Not sure if this was because the bug spray worked or because of the cooler weather.

One of the more challenging hikes I’ve done in Whistler. Pretty relentless in regards to incline most the way up. The waterfall you catch a glimpse of is epic. Took just under 3 hours to get up there one way. Camped up there - it’s August and it was absolutely freezing! It rained all morning so made for a slippery, soggy descent. Saw lots of people starting their hike after 1pm, with only small day packs.. I wouldn’t do this as a day hike that late

Awesome hike, big elevation gain: 1200m. Did as an overnight, tough hike with a pack but worth it.

incredible hike. even better views! worth the effort! highly recommend staying the night and climbing some of the surrounding peaks.

amazing views

One of the most beautiful destinations I've ever hiked to! Highly recommend - it wasn't TOO difficult with just a day pack. Bring lots of water, warm layers for the top and bug spray! Hiked this in late July in 32° weather.

This is the most rewarding hike I’ve done in BC yet! Truly stunning! It took me about three hours up and about the same down, however I was solo so probably a bit quicker than average. I wore my vibrams five fingers very comfortably until I was at the lake where there’s a lot of loose sharp rock, but nothing unmanageable. I had lots of bug spray and an Off clip on repellant so I wasn’t bothered by bugs at all until I got to the top and met the lazy deer flies, that being said they didn’t bother me too much. I would also recommend bringing a sweater because the glacier creates this nice cool breeze at the top. It is also uphill this whole time so be prepared for that, but it will totally be worth it!

Amazing hike. We went beyond Wedgemount Lake and hiked up to the glacier itself. It is worth the extra 1.5kms, as there is a glacier pond and less attacking deer flies at the glacier. Amazing views.
For sure be ready for a full 1200m assent (a bit more to get to glacier), often on soft footings (sandy or loose gravel) and at other times stepping up and over rock face. Nevertheless, this was one of the spectacular hikes I have done.

Tough hike with an overnight pack! Pretty relentless in the current heat but worth it in the end for an epic camping spot, view of the lake and dip! It took us 4hr 15mins up with a quick stop for lunch. It would be faster with a day pack. It’s mostly all a climb apart from a short flat section in the middle, the last 30min climb over the boulders is tough when your energy is low after the rest of the hike but it’s great if you really want to challenge yourself. I drank 2.5 litres of fluids going up so take plenty of water, we refilled in the lake and boiled water for cooking and used aqua tabs for drinking water for the way down. It took us 3hrs 37min down with hardly any stopping. The down is hard on your legs & ankles, wear proper hiking boots! Too many people on the trail with unsuitable shoes, lots of people turning back when they realise how hard it is. Lots of bugs throughout, the first 2 thirds were black flies which didn’t seem to bite, the final third and at the top were all mosquitos and we got bitten loads even with bug spray. We saw lots of Pika and the waterfall is epic so do look out for that to the right from a clearing about 2 thirds up. Stop at Dusty’s BBQ in Creekside for nachos to refuel for the journey home.

Really great hike, Views are amazing!!!!!!!

It’s considered to be one of the hardest hikes. It’s challenging, don’t get me wrong, but I felt some other reviews built up that part a bit... so if your on the edge and worried it’s to hard, just do it. (Did a day hike)

Bring a light sweater, when the sun isn’t shining can get a little chilli at the top only.

Only negative, there are some big dear flies at the top, and some smaller horse flies in the way up/down. Bring bug spray

Fun hike ending at a gorgeous lake. And there were marmots up there too!

We did it as a day hike, which is doable but pretty tough.

The trail was absolutely plagued by mosquitoes and big black flies, and they both swarm you whenever you take a break. We were not prepared for this, which took all of the fun out of the descent.

All in all an amazing day hike that was made slightly worse by our lack of preparedness .

Tough hike with an overnight pack. First 20 min you are totally exposed to the sun, then its 2 hours of straight up hill in the trees with a 15 min flat spot. Enjoy it cause shortly after is 30 min of scrambling up steep loose rock. But it's worth every step once you see the view. Waterfall on the trail is massive but there is only one small opening through the trees where you can see the majority of it so don't blink and miss it like my friend did. Took us just under 4 hours with an overnight pack and hiking at the worst part of the day. Could probably get to the hut in 2.5 hrs for a day hike. Hut is very basic. Sleeps 5 upstairs and another 5 downstairs on the tables and floor. No sinks or kitchen utensils. Lots of mosquitoes and flies!!

Started at about 1:30pm, made it to the lake by 4pm (about 2.5 hours) in 30° C heat. There were lots of mosquitos at the top (bring spray) but black flies on the trail were manageable. No snow whatsoever. Hiked up to the glacier and saw some marmots... well worth the extra 20 mins to get there☺️

Amazing hike! Recommend camping overnight down by the lake to enjoy the sunset. Extremely steep!

Grueling hike! The entire hike is a scramble up the mountain. Pretty relentless. The final ascent up the boulders is intense. Bring lots of water! Most of the hike is spent in the trees. About 2.5-3hours in you are rewarded with a wonderful view of the water cascading down the mountain from the lake - take a break and take in the waterfall. Another 45 minutes in the trees and finally out for magnificent views! 30 more minutes up the boulder and finally... The lake itself! It is gorgeous!

Excellent hike. Nice and steep but not too long so bearable. Definitely recommend doing it as an overnighter...set your tent and then head up to the glacier :)

Nice hike, steep, sleep with a tent on wood platform. Glacier, lake and mountain are amazing!
Must do!

Hike is clear. A few patches of snow at the top past the boulder field that you walk over for 30 seconds. Very minimal. Did the hike in trail runners with no issue. People were camping at the top. Marmots galore!!!

The road in has recently been filled in so the potholes are easier to navigate. The hike is accuratley rated as hard, but it's well worth it when you get to the top! Definitely achievable without snow shoes now, only a few ankle deep patches left.

Hike is no joke but totally worth it. Bring mosquito spray! And shoes for snow.

It is a hard hike but once you get to the top it’s all worth it. The lake is still thawing, so I’ll try it in a month again so I can see that beautiful turquoise blue.
Amazing Mountain Views.

To get to the starting point you need a decent 4x4 as the road is pretty rough. With a normal car you'll have to walk the first 2 Km to the starting point. The hike itself was okay but the trail is in a rough condition and sometimes hard to follow. When there is a a lot of snow up there you should have propper snow clamps as the incline and the decent from the lake is pretty steep and slippery.

What an amazing adventure it was! Pretty rough hike especially at this time of the year with all the snow at about half way and up. Overall, it was absolutely gorgeous! Will do again in August once the snow melts aha !!

Difficult ascent but completely worth it! Started mid morning and it was 30 degrees and dry in June. Completed in about 4 hours with minimal breaks along the way. Camped lakeside and explored the glacier in the morning. Beautiful views, wildflowers and campsite.

->2017 01 23 Make it to the top and sleep there! After looking the trail a bit for the last strench, we made a detour with zig zag because we couldn't see the red signs
Av speed 1,6

->2017 12 07 Went back again but had to stop before the last strench, the trail wasn't marked, ice on rock and too much snow in some area. As a safe person, we dinid't hike to the top to sleep there :-( We could park the car (4x4) up the 2 km of the road.