Watersprite Lake (Summer Route)

Watersprite Lake (Summer Route) is a 17.1 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Squamish, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

17.1 km
804 m

Getting to the trailhead: 1. Take Hwy 99 North past Horseshoe Bay, towards Squamish. 2. Turn right at the Mamquam FSR Main Rd (unpaved). RESET ODOMETER. This is the first road on the RHS 1.7km after the Sea to Sky gondola. 3. Proceed northeast along the potholed Mamquam main. Bear right at 3.7km slightly past the Valleycliffe housing subdivision (70m elevation), and stay on the main road, ignoring secondary spurs. Go up fairly steep hill around km 6 for 1 km, driving past Mt Mulligan Rd on the RHS at km 7.0. Drive on level road followed by relatively steep downhill to Raffuse Creek bridge at the 9.0km mark (320m elevation). There is a steep uphill immediately after Raffuse creek. Go past Alpen spur at km 9.8 followed by more uphill until the high point on the Mamquam FSR is reached around km10.8. Continue until you get to the bridge over the Mamquam River at km 13.1 (Bridge #1 on map below, 450m elevation). 4. Cross the bridge and shortly after, bear right to cross a second bridge over Skookum creek (Bridge #2), just below the power station at 13.3km. 5. A few hundred meters later, turn left (north) onto the new Skookum Dam road. Go past the gate to the power station at 13.7km (room to park here, if needed). Continue up the road on a steep hill, followed by a steeper hill after the hairpin turn at 15.6km. 6. At 16.3 mark keep going left for another 3.7k to the roads end. The new trail head starts on the other side on your right and is well marked.

Easy going hike. Opens up access to some nice scrambling above the lake. Also a great place for a summer swim.

Cheers

I would love to go but only drive a car, if anyone is willing to give me a ride I will pay for gas and thanks, could meet at the start of the logging road. But I can only go up on Wednesday’s-6043395314 thanks so much!

The trail is nothing to get excited about. It mostly follows old logging roads. I would rate the trek to the lake as moderate. The area around the lake is beautiful. Great color in the lake and it's surrounded with majestic peaks. However, it's then a average hike back to the parking lot. If you know how to drive on logging roads you will have no problem. The cross ditches are minor and shouldn't pose a challenge. Any all wheel drive vehicle will have no problem....a car was in the parking lot.

i wanted to get a head start for sunrise and I am really bummed I couldn't make it to the trailhead. I thought I read the reviews for this hike but apparently I did not. that being said, I've uploaded some pictures of the road so others don't make the same mistake I did.

I can handle bumpy, rocky roads and maneuvering potholes, but there are small trenches in the road. by the time I reached the second one with about 5k left, i admitted defeat and drove back to town.

YOU NEED AT LEAST 1/2 METER OF CLEARANCE AND 4WD!

Great hike, you will need an all wheel drive or 4x4 to get to though. We had a convoy going of all wheel, 4x4 and a Honda civic fwd the civic almost made it to the end. But definitely not recommended as he got stuck.

The trail itself is a mixture of wooded forest out to open trail and then scrambling across rocks. Moderate /hard but well worth it.
The reward up the top with the new tent platforms and paths are great.

Reward yourself with a swim. The waters beautiful!

This is an amazing hike in the backcountry, however, the gravel road towards the trailhead is extreme rocky and uneven. We rented a 4WD Jeep and still were afraid to go further than the 14th marker. The final 3(?) km to the trailhead we continued to walk. Some passing by cars offered to take us with them and seriously the conditions of the road got worse. I would have been to afraid to get a flat tire though. But other than that, the hike offers a variety of “underground“ conditions - from, woods and mud to gravel and rocks. We did the hike yesterday and even went for a quick jump into the lake. Nevertheless, parts of the lake are still frozen. If only hiking there for a day trip, bear in mind that the time getting to the trailhead takes an extra hour!

Awesome hike. Just the right amount of steep sections and plateaus. Still a bit muddy in sections, but those kind of add fun to it. Snow still at the top, so wear layers. All wheel drive and a vehicle with a fair bit of clearance is ideal as the forest service road has a few washouts and bumpy bits.

I want to do this hike this weekend and I’m wondering how difficult it is to get to the trailhead?

My vehicle is all wheel drive but doesn’t have a lot of extra clearance. I’m in an Audi Q3. Does anyone know how it looks exactly?

very nice hike, but getting to the trail head was a real challenge. extremely rough road once you enter the unpaved section .

Very beautiful lake surrounded by beautiful mountain range. The trail itself is very well maintained. Last section before reaching the lake can be quite muddy, slippery and steep.

Dont click directions on app as it led me to Mamquam Road (wrong road and is paved road) on google map. We had to turn around and go to Mamquam River Forest Service Road which is the right road and unpaved. It is just at bottom of the hill past the Chief but before the casino. We made wrong turn again on the Forest road left at 16 km as signage for 16 km was on the ground as we found out on way back. You need to keep right and go up hill to 16.3 km where you see the candy cane shaped vent at 16.3 km then turn left which leads to trail head, which is another 3.7 km away. I think 20 km total on forest road and it takes a while. Even if you make a left on 16 km we found out later it would of lead you to the trail head. We removed a fallen tree with the jeep. With time constraints we turned back maybe 45 mins away from the lake at the boulder fields. We went Oct 19 durning a very rainy day and many parts of the trail had water on it. It was fun crossing the creeks and streams. There is a log crossing we opted to go underneath and cross the stream instead. It started to snow slushy at the boulder fields making it very slippery we turned back as we did not want to be hiking back at dark as sunset was 6:15. Even though we didn't make it, it was a fun day outside. The trail is not that hard except the boulder fields a bit sketchy with slushy snow.

This hike is not the most exciting. It's boring for the most part but well worth it. We stayed over night in the cabin which was nice and cozy. The lake is beautiful.

I

Be aware that you have to go on a 18km logging road to get to the base of the hike. 4x4 vehicle recommended! Steady climb to the top with some flat sections for you to catch a break. The last 1.5km to the lake gets a bit steep but well worth it!

awesome trail.

Difficult for kids. 10 hours round trip with my 6 years old.

Monday, July 17, 2017

awesome hike. we did it on July 15. drove up to trailhead with 2003 Honda CR-V.
watch out for bears and cougars.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

We attempted this trail on Saturday. The markers are sparse. Lots of snow banks & creeks to cross. We had to hike up the road (probably 3km), as our SUV couldn't make it up the snowy hill. Didn't make it to the lake :(

Monday, August 07, 2017