Learn more

Tunnel Bluffs is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lions Bay, British Columbia, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 4.4 mi Elevation gain 1,991 ft Route type Out & Back

Wildlife

Rocky

Description
Waypoints (2)

Please note hikers report parking to be very difficult near this trail. Don’t park at Tunnel Point lookout as it’s limited to 30 minutes. Also, the Lions Bay Area is mainly all permit only. Park near Magnesia Creek Trail - there’s only a dozen parking spots. Alternatively you can park down at Lions Bay Elementary School: there’s a dirt car park next to the field which is free. Be smart, safe and time your hike for sunlight (bring a head lamp if hiking late afternoon). This trail is steep and filled with rocks. This is not a walk in the park for running shoes. Trail is clearly marked all the way up and down. The first portion is brutal then it’s a flat hike to the Tunnel Bluffs POV. The view is amazing and definitely worth the sweat.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (371)
Photos (172)
Recordings (258)
Completed (932)
Ashley Chandra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 13 2020
HikingBugsMuddy

I did this hike when it poured (07/09/20) and even though the view at the top was obscured, the fog was so refreshing to hike through! A lot of people have already mentioned this, but the parking lot is limited to 30 minutes. We parked at Lions Bay Elementary, but you definitely could park further up the logging road, or in the Lions Parking lot.

Ashlea Ryder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 29 2020
HikingMuddy

As you’ll see from most of the reviews; parking is tricky. Don’t park at tunnel point lookout as it’s limited to 30 minutes. Also, the Lions Bay Area is mainly all permit only. We saw a lot of $240 fines on windshields (ouch!). My suggestion is that you park near Magnesia Creek Trail (if you can!) there’s only a dozen parking spots. We missed out so actually parked down at Lions Bay Elementary School. There’s a dirt car park next to the field which is free! We got there at 12pm and just squeezed into a spot. From there we walked up to the trailhead at Magnesia Creek. Ok parking aside... loved this trail! From Magnesia creek is a steady and rocky climb up a fire trail for probably 30 or so minutes. But once the climb is out of the way you traverse along a beautiful trail, over creeks and small waterfalls. It’s lovely. And then the lookout itself is AMAZING. It’s a busy trail so there were 30 people or more at the lookout. Go early if you want to beat the crowds. Note: From Lions Bay Elementary School, walking to Magnesia Creek Trail to Tunnel Bluffs and back is 14km according to my Garmin. Took us 3.5hrs return. Definitely recommend! Enjoy

Chuck Keeling
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 29 2020
Hiking

My apologies for my rant below about parking. I have contacted the Village of Lions Bay to complain- they tell me that the decision to limit parking to 30 minutes at Tunnel Point is a Ministry of Transportation decision, and that the Village does not support it. I am going to complain to the Ministry, and if you ever use this trailhead, I would encourage you to do the same. If they continue this limitation, this trailhead effectively is out of service for anyone in the future for hiking purposes.

Chuck Keeling
Hiking

I did Hat Peak today, which is the same trailhead for Tunnel Bluffs. Parked at Tunnel Point in the highway, and the bastards were towing everyone. I got very lucky- the tow truck guy said I was next on the list. Between this new enforcement, And keeping the Sunset parking lot in Lions Bay closed, I’m beyond pissed.

Sahil Sanghera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 28 2020
HikingBugsMuddyRocky

Parked at Lions Bay Elementary (field parking lot). Walked up to the trailhead via outdoorvancouver directions. Beautiful view at the top of the hike. Make sure to turn left where the sign that says “Lions” is and continue across bridges until you reach a small sign that leads to Tunnel Bluffs trail. First 40 minutes is the worst but you avoid the incline associated with the tunnel bluffs trail.

Hannah Bryant
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 26 2020
Scramble

Careful we got towed!!! Really great hike, first hour or so a scramble (challenging on the way back) and stunning views. We parked at Tunnel Point across the road from the trailhead and both our cars got towed :(

Wesley Kulatunga
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 26 2020
Hiking

For those people not wanting to risk having your car towed I would recommend going early to take the alternate route from the Lions Bay parking area (not that many parking spots, and you'll be competing for those who park here to do the Lions, Mt Brunswick, and Mt Harvey). The below website has detailed information about the route - but ensure you go early as majority of that area is residential and i've seen them ticket if parked in the wrong areas. The alternate route adds about 3-4km to your hike and crosses over the Magnesia creek, but by the time you intersect with the original path you have already done majority of the incline. https://www.outdoorvancouver.ca/tunnel-bluffs-hike-lions-bay/#directions

Yasaman Madanikia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 22 2020

Hard but worth it!

Jamie Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 18 2020
HikingRocky

Amazing day hike. Little longer than the 7km listed but it is definitely hard. About 1 hour of a steep incline at the start than it flattens out until the lookout. Parking is tough for sure as well, we parked across the highway but it’s definitely not ideal and there’s a time limit (that we risked cause it’s a Thursday). Wear proper shoes. No snow. Trail marked really well

View Jamie's Recording
James Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 18 2020
HikingRocky

Went this afternoon from 11:30am-3:30pm parking was not a issue. Not sure why people are getting towed? Maybe parking in a no parking area. I’ve been coming pretty often this year. The 30 min parking doesn’t seem to be in effect. Other than that, great hike! Rookies bring hiking shoes or boots!

Abiye Adoki
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 16 2020
HikingRocky

Like all the reviews have said, the first part is steep and rocky but once you overcome that, you’re good. Also parking was an issue, we spent about an hour looking for parking. The direction stated here would lead you to a parking that’s only 30 minutes and you’ll get towed if you park more than that. We parked at Lion’s Bay Elementary School- 250 Bayview Rd and walked up to the the trail. It was about a 10-15 minute walk

Mikey Sadowski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 14 2020
Hiking

The good... Went on a foggy Sunday morning (8am) and we were the only ones on the trail. We only went to the lookout at the 470m mark (you can see camera icon on the map) and on a clear day it would be amazing views with great photo opps. It’s certainly a work out with big incline, but very verdant and lush. If you don’t have poles, there are a collection of sticks at the trail head which I would advise grabbing! It’s technically challenging but fun and accessible. The bad... When I came down to the Tunnel Point parking lot our car had been towed!! We were gone 2.5 hours. Apparently that parking lot is 30 minutes only. The parking lot signage is terrible and this is totally a loophole scam that Payless Towing company (contracted by Miller a Capilano) is exploiting people. There were lots of cars in the lot when we came back but do beware! If you any questions feel free to shoot me a message or find me on Instagram @mikeysadowski Happy trails!

Thomas Leboeuf
HikingClosedMuddy

it is important to note that the original Tunnel Bluff trail is no longer really accessible. the parking linked with this trail is limited to 30 mins plus you have to illegally cross the highway. Instead I followed a commenter's advice and went to Lions bay elementary school. if you google outdoorvancouver tunnel bluff trail, they will give you lots of good tips. The parking for the trail was closed due to COVID so I had to try and some parking near the school. they are very strict on parking at Lions Bay and I literally found only 5 spots which only one was free. lucky me! I saw tow trucks and bylaw officers even though it was a rainy Sunday morning... Like some say, coming early is key, but because I came a bit later (10am) I got to have awesome views as the clouds cleared around 12h30pm and by the afternoon it was full blown sun. So maybe go the afternoon if the weather doesnt look great? I enjoyed the hike but there is a lot of overgrowth and as a tick fearing person, I did not enjoy that so much. A lot of the hike is on tight single track so if somebody would come with a machete I would be very grateful.

View Thomas's Recording
lin li
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 10 2020
View lin's Recording
Kirk Settle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 10 2020
Bird WatchingMuddyRocky

Went up on a rainy weekday after finding 0 non-permit parking near Mt. Harvey, and I was not disappointed! The first 2/3rd of the hike are a steep incline through tree root and rocks, and I'd say not for the unfit. Was muddy, but well-marked, and had two nice viewpoints on the way up. The final 1/3rd is all trail-running and the viewpoint of Howe and the Sea-to-Sky was excellent, especially with the fog lifting. Would definitely recommend. Was in and out in 6 hours, but with 2 hours at the top for wildlife photography (stellar jays, grouse, and a woodpecker). 2 fellow hikers spotted on the entire trip, and nobody else in the parking lot at the bottom.

Mina Macdonald
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 09 2020
Hiking

Great Trail! We parked at the public parking near the lions bay elementary school (the old parking lookout spot has been reduced to 30 minute stay only). Beautiful view from the top. First 40ish minutes are steep incline, then just a gentle traverse to the lookout. This website really helped for both parking and staying on the trail. https://www.outdoorvancouver.ca/tunnel-bluffs-hike-lions-bay/#directions

Hannah Price
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 08 2020
Hiking

Come early to get a parking spot, as it was full with 5 cars waiting for spots at 11am on a Sunday when I finished. There was a tow truck removing cars that had parked in the no parking areas at this time as well! Lovely morning hike. Steep but doable with moderate fitness. Bring layers as will get chilly on way down after you have cooled down from the climb.

Emma Baldwin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 07 2020
HikingMuddyOver grownRockyScramble

More difficult than I was expecting! And more interesting! The first 3/4th definitely straight up. Nothing particularly hard to navigate but I wouldn’t recommend it for beginners. After the first viewpoint, where the camera is on the map, it’s about another 20 mins walking fast to get to the easy section. Then it’s flat out, muddy, walking to the overlook. I got there at 6:30 on a Sunday and I was the third car. Took me about 3 hours round trip and when I got back down around 9:30 the parking lot was full with people waiting for spots. DEFINITELY get there earlier. Like before 8:00.

Alex Watson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 06 2020
View Alex's Recording
Devon Simpson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 05 2020
Hiking

Great trail with a nice view, one of my favourites to explore with my dog. There have been bear sighting all this week so just be aware and respect the wildlife. I am a Lions Bay local and it’s nice to see that most people respect our little village and park where they should. We are getting very overwhelmed with city folk coming in for a hike. Be aware that our village just increased parking ticket prices and the bylaw officer has increased his rounds so park accordingly! Out of town traffic increases immensely as the day goes on and narrow trails do not make for social distancing, so for the best wildlife viewing and people avoidance go early.

Shannon Leah-Rose