Stawamus Chief Trail

Stawamus Chief Trail is a 6.1 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Squamish, British Columbia, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and rock climbing and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6.1 km
772 m

rock climbing

Great hike bit challenging in the beginning with lots of rock but views are worth it!

The sign at the bottom says it all... “This is not a walk in the park.” Though a fairly challenging hike, well worth it for the view of the ocean and mountains at the top of the 3 peaks.

Made this one a few years ago.

A lot of high steeps at the beginning. Hard and steep. But the chains assist climbing part is pretty fun!

Not nearly as difficult as people made it out to be, if you’re in decent shape. We wore 30lb packs for training and while it was tough it wasn’t so difficult that I wanted to quit at any point. Micro spikes were helpful in the winter; be careful if it’s wet - the mossy rock at the top is quite slippery (and steep).

This thing kicked my ass. Legs feeling it a few days after still. Did it quickly. Just to second peak and back. But should not have done it quickly. Definitely a good challenge and beautiful views to see

Favourite hike to do every year

One of my favourite hikes in Vancouver so far - although I've only been here 3 months.
Tough but not difficult. Steep steps to start and some moderate climbing (chain assisted) between 1st and 2nd peaks. We didn't go to 1st peak, but 2nd and third are definitely worth the effort and a little quieter than leading up to 1st.

Did the loop back from 3rd peak, but this was very strenuous on our knees after the climb and would probably have preferred to return the same way (even with the chain assisted decent)

Definitely recommend this walk, giving 3 - 4 hours not to be rushed.

艰难的一行!挑战了自己

We did this with a group of Beaver Scouts back in June. Kids starting at age 5 and up and adults. A good leg workout and challenging for a new hiker.

Very tough!!

I'd say I'm a moderate hiker and my partner is not a hiker at all, we did the first peak fairly easily, was a bit rough on the knees going down. Super busy in the summer on the weekends, but nonetheless worth it when you see the view.

Amazing view. You can see the 1st and 2nd peaks from the top. Very challenging for the average hiker.

Steep with lots of stairs and high rock steps, make sure you wear good shoes. I went to the first peak with my dog. She was able to go off leash but I tied her up before the summit. A ladder and chains were in place to assist up the boulder. She probably could have scaled the rock but it seemed safer to leave her below. Pretty busy trail on a Tuesday mid-morning. Great for a short, intense hike with beautiful views.

After you get past the stairs, the rest is pretty easy. I'd say the stairs are probably 1/3rd of energy exertion on this hike. This trail is the least amount of work for the most amount of payoff :)

Stairs!! Stairs!! And more stairs!!! Recommend hiring the peaks in reverse order, so much better, so start with Peak #3!

Wasn't "hard" at all. I think hard would be a dangerous hike with lots of scrambling. There was none of that TBH
Just stairs and steady climb all the way. Good butt and leg burn. Beauty views

Relatively short, challenging, with stunning views at the top. Three peaks to visit!

This was a bit of a challenge and I loved every bit of it.

An intermediate hike with great views of Howe Sound. There are three peaks with pretty much the same views, we chose the second one. No special gear is required, unless you're rock climbing all the way up. There are chains and ladders at places to aid the climbing wherever it's required.

super fun hike! as a 13 yr old girl i found this a slight challenge but managed to do all 3 peaks under the average time. tip! when you get to the 2nd peak, don't go back to the trail the way you came! there is another trail down from the 2nd peak that leads to the 3rd! i was with some experienced hikers who knew the area but if you just look around you should find it easily.

Great views. Gets pretty crowded. If only doing one peak I'd recommend the 2nd.

rough uphill trek, not too bad if you're fit. Beautiful waterfall almost the whole way up. 360 degree mountain views from the top. There are 3 peaks you can do, I only went to the first one. It was enough for me. 100% worth it

Great hike with amazing views. Some fun rock scrambles and beautiful panoramic views from each peak. The first two peaks were very crowded but barely anyone at the third peak. Well maintained trail and a good leg burner

Outstanding hike ! it is well travelled with public, but there is a fork part way up. If you want a challenge go right, the road less travelled is never easy. stunning views in all directions, take the time to get to 3rd peak. It's rewarding knowing you conquered, then sit and enjoy.

P.s bring a lunch, on any peak it's a great picnic !

Fantastic trail. Completed the first peak roundtrip in about 3.5 hours and this was taking a lot of breaks. Loads of stairs with some chains and ladders near the end to help get on top of the granite dome. Definitely worth the trip

Monday, May 22, 2017

Awesome! Alot of elevation, stairs and some chains to climb.
Short but exhausting.
However, once you are on the top, the reward is great!

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Fantastic workout. At the split, I kept right to bypass the 1st and 2nd peaks in order to head straight to the 3rd. TERRIBLE trail markers. Got lost a lot. I didn't have enough battery to use this app. Still love the chief though. Just don't recommend heading straight to third alone and/or inexperienced.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Amazing especially if you hike to the third peak.

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Maybe my favorite trail ever. Intensely steep. Insanely beautiful. Challenging. A bit busy.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

beautiful views from the different peaks but to be honest I felt like until we got to 3rd peak it was a stair master instead of a hike. I was dissapointed with the stairs they put in.

The top is spectacular though. Be prepared to climb a little if you're going to the 3rd peak.