Stawamus Chief Trail

Stawamus Chief Trail is a 6.1 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Squamish, British Columbia, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and rock climbing and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6.1 km
772 m

rock climbing

Amazing hike, do it every year, it is busy on weekends and I recommend visiting second peak as first peak is usually full

amazing views. top end of moderate but not too long. great experience sitting in top of what is basically a massive bolder.

The views are incredible, took us an hour to get to the 3rd peak.

Fantastic hike with amazing views, but be prepared for some seriously steep hiking. The first third of the hike up to First Peak is mostly wooden stairs, and they were the hardest part of the hike for me. Go as early as you can to avoid the crowds.

Fantastic day hike. Views, challenging rugged trail, plenty of space to avoid the crowds

Strenuous straight up but well worth the views at the top

Un

So much to discover if exploring surrounding trails on the alltrails map! Pretty sure we discovered all the via Ferrata- some to be had on all 3 peaks if you look, including both sides of peak 1. We did a funky figure 8, up peak 2, down peak 3 (recommend the opposite), back up peak 2, cross to peak 1 (up the via Ferrata), then back down and around to peak 1 (where we discovered the rest of the via Ferrata and 3rd/4th class descent to reach the remaining chains and ladders, which of course we had to descend to complete the circuit!) and then back up the via Ferrata to peak 1 and down via the usual Chief trail and then down to the start. Hike to peak 2 was a fabulous bouldery rock scramble. I was in approach shoes and completely comfortable on the terrain, but those in questionable hiking shoes or fearful of heights will want to leave time to backtrack if you explore these trails. Compared to sea to summit, this was much more of an adrenaline rush. In contrast, sea to summit seems more of a steep trail about to succumb to erosion in spots w some optional rope assists, and is overrated with a ridiculous number of posted warning signs.

We went to the second peak. It was my first time. Took us about 1 1/2 hours.
Breath taking views. Neat that you have such a variety of terrain to travel :)

Beautiful mountain but it makes you see everything around it that's bigger and you feel like a sissy...

Super fun! Definitely try to at least make it to the 2nd peak if not 3rd. Rocks can be slippery so be careful. Chains & ladders are provided to help with the steepness of some parts.
There is one ladder where people have stuck their stickers on if you wanna bring a sticker along!

Did 3 peaks took me 2.5 hours was so beautiful

Really great hike with an intense uphill, but definitely worth it for the views at the top! Trail can get super busy as it is very popular, and definitely worth going to the 2nd peak since the top has a lot more room for groups to have their own space to rest and have lunch. Definitely need to be in shape to do this hike especially since at the top you need to pull yourself up using a chain on the rocks.

I did peak 2 & 3. The stairs at the beginning were pretty exhausting for me as I just started going on hikes, but after that it went well. The view is amazing!! The way down was hard on my knees and ankles and I was sore for two days, but I would definitely do it again!
Great hike

Great views!

Second peak has the best views according to most, I am inclined to agree but it’s entirely subjective. Try all three, all pretty spectacular

Great trail. Went in March very rainy and wet, and snow at top

Did all 3 peaks and WOW are my legs mad at me. Got up and was at the trail head by 6am... no one was there (except for campers). My husband and I are in moderate shape and found the hike to be a heck of a challenge but doable. The hike to peak 1 was a good elevation gain with ladders and chains spicing it up. The view was insane. The hike to peak 2 wasn’t as tough. We forged on to peak 3 and should have stopped at 2. Peak 3 wasn’t well marked and the view paled in comparison to 1 or 2. The decent from peak 3 was a knee knocker. Lots lots lots of bouldering and not enjoyable. Took us 5hr 20min to do all 3.
When we do it again we will just to peaks 1&2. Great hike worth the effort!

Excellent short and sweet hike
Go early to avoid crowds

Great challenging hike! We did the reverse order, starting with third peak, second and then first peak. I liked this order because it broke up the vertical trecking nicely.

Would not recommend if you're nervous with heights, there are some areas where you have to climb up some very steep areas with the assistance of chains and ladders.

Challenging but well worth it! Hiked straight to 2nd peak and the views were unreal! Took roughly 4-5 hours round trip. We started from Shannon Falls and you can follow the trail from there to The Chief, knocks off 2 things in one hike. Cannot recommend this hike enough if your in Squamish or passing through!

I preface this by saying I’m not a terribly experienced hiker, yet a former marathoner that is still in above average shape. The ascent to peak one (1.5 miles to the top) was just over 2,000 feet according to my Garmin. Very steep in the beginning, a little less in the middle, then more steepness and technical toward the top. Took three hours round trip with multiple breaks on the way up. Having said all I that, l loved every step of the experience! Gorgeous views at the peak. Do it!

Did peaks 1 and 2 today. Loads of stairs at the start and then a reasonable to steep incline for the remainder of both trails. Some ladders and chains are required to make the summit for both trails. Great viewpoints from both peaks but if you only have time for one, peak 2 offers better views. For reference, it took us about 3 hours to do both peaks which included a short break for lunch.

Great hike. Lots of stairs. Didn’t make it to the 3rd peak as it doesn’t have a great view. Missed the 1st peak but the 2nd has an even better view and there’s usually less people at the 2nd one. Definitely a must see BC hike!

A short sketchy section going down to the forest floor from 2nd to 3rd peak. Overall great views on the first and second peaks.

What a great way to begin our first day of holiday by hiking the Chief!

Great hiking!

Difficult but well worth it. Constant climbing of stairs. Did it in June and the temperature was real pleasant for a rainforest hike and the views are amazing

Love it. Did it twice last week

The chief in my opinion is easier than the grouse grind. My girlfriend says she prefers grouse grind, I would pick the Chief any day over the Grouse grind.

It’s a hard trail but the view is spectacular and is worth the effort. Although we did all 3 peaks the best views are peak one & two. Would never do peak three again.