Statlu Lake Trail

Statlu Lake Trail is a 9.0 kilometer out and back trail located near Fraser Valley C, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

9 km
373 m

We did this hike with a good friend and our four children on labour day. One of the most beautiful examples of God’s creation that I’ve seen for some time. Absolutely stunning scenery. Stay clear of the top of the falls as it is the place of some tragic accidents, but overall a wonderful hike.

I did the hike on July 16, 2018! Statlu lake is an amazing place specially in a sunny day, which is how the day was in my hike!
First part until the second creek crossing the hike is easy and nice walk, which is around 2/3 of the entire way! After the second crossing the slope starts moderate and gets steep once you approach the lake! Hard part going in a smooth pace should take around 1 hrs! The third and last water crossing right at the big waterfall had almost no water, so didn’t need to take shoes off, but I guess earlier in summer it must have had lots of water running! After the third crossing the lake is just a matter of few minutes hiking and then just enjoy it!
Going all the way to the end of the lake is very worthwhile but the trail is bushy, lots of wild blueberries! Besides that bushy part, the trail is ok!
My GPS showed me more than the 9 km that appears on the description of the trail, I got 13.2 km round trip if you go past of the lake entrance!
Still totally feasible, I’m not an athlete and carried my 1 year old baby with me! Lol!

Camped here on June 23rd. The hike to the lower lake involved more bush whacking then I had expected. Long pants are definitely recommended. We also had to cross a few rivers, one of which we had to take off our boots. Views once we got to the lake were beautiful but when we arrived at the campsites there wasn’t much left. If you plan to camp make sure you get there early if you want a good spot. We also did the Brotherhood trail to the upper lake the next day. This was the highlight of the weekend! This part was challenging and had some very technical parts to it. We frequently lost the trail markers and had to back track to find our way. The views at the upper lake were spectacular and well worth the challenge!

June 16th 2018

Hiked and camped up at Statlu lake. The road in was well maintained and perfectly doable in our low clearance 2wd. As long as you're careful and drive slow you should have no problems.

The trail up to the lake is alright. For the most part it's fairly flat, though there are some short steeper segments and it is overgrown in places.

Once you reach the lake there are a handful of spots you can camp in, however there are practically no spots after that until you reach the other side of the lake. We went up on a weekend and found all the good spots taken so we ended up going out to the waterfall looking for spots to camp. Unfortunately we found nothing, though we were told afterwards that there are camping spots at the end of the lake. The trail towards the waterfall was pretty overgrown in places and forks off to Upper Statlu lake just before the waterfall. If you plan on heading to the other end of the lake you will need to get your feet wet crossing a shallow Creek as well.

Overall the lake is very beautiful and it's a great place to camp. I would rate the hike as moderately difficult.

Hiked this trail the other day. I used GPS markers from another website to navigate to the trailhead and then keep track of where we were. It looked very untouched, no other footprints in the snow and fresh animal poo on the trails. The second bridge was no where to be found so we went through it with our shoes on there and back as there was no safe way to scramble across on rocks. It was difficult to navigate prior to that. The assent to the lake and waterfalls was much better. We made it to the beautiful eastern campsite area to soak in the views before heading back. We would have liked to do the rest but there was still hard packed snow and finding the trail would have proved challenging. The hike itself is not difficult.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Was just up there for the Canada Day long weekend. Stayed in the first campsite at the beginning of the lake, absolutely stunning view! Took about 2.5 hours to get to the start of the lake.

Some of the flagging was a bit inadequate and the trail overgrown. More flagging tape has been added, and I cut back some of the larger pieces.

The first bridge is still in decent condition, but the second bridge crossing the deactivated FSR creek around the 1.25 mile marker is deteriorating. Watch your step. Make sure not to walk past the turnoff to head up the valley. If you cross a second creek you've gone too far!

Just as you get to the top of your elevation gain, and just before you hit the lake you cross a small stream at the top of a large waterfall. It wasn't moving very fast and there was a safe way to pick through it, but as other reviews have talked about I'm going to reiterate: STAY AWAY FROM THE EDGE. The 10ft or so leading to the edge of the top of the waterfall looks to me like smooth, slippery rock. It's extremely dangerous to approach.

If you want a good view of a waterfall continue on to the Brotherhood Trailhead marker.

Overall the trail was pretty easy to follow, after a bit of back-tracking. Wonderful lake!

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Tried to do this hike on May.8 2017 and the second bridge has been washed away by the river! The river was also very high so not able to cross. Will definitely finish it once the bridge is back!

Sunday, January 08, 2017

Awesome trail, lots variety as far as trail features. I don't recommend a dog as the first bridge is high enough unless your dog is super calm and confident or light enough to carry. The lake is amazing, very few spots to camp, hammock friendly.

Monday, August 15, 2016

it was a great little trail!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Nice easy hike with some great views and a very beautiful lake at the end of the trail. Starting with the suspension bridge was great and set the hike up to be a fantastic trip. Campsite at the lake is very well situated offering fantastic view of the lake and surrounding mountains. A great hidden gem of a hike.

Sunday, May 15, 2016