St. Mark's Summit Trail

St. Mark's Summit Trail is a 10.8 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.8 km
605 m

Hiked on Dec 8th! Not enough snow to snowshoe but the trail gets very icy the higher up you get. We didn't have spikes or crampons but definitely bring them if you have them. Many areas were inches of solid ice hidden beneath a dusting of snow so it was very sketchy and there was a lot of slipping. It was still a fun adventure! On a clear day I imagine the view is still spectacular (but it was super cloudy for us).

Hiked yesterday. There is snow along the entire trail. The trail was packed down, so there was no need for snowshoes. It was quite icy and slippery. Wearing spikes would have made the hike much easier and safer. The view from the top was stunning.

Just did it yesterday, some parts a bit slippery, very good view!

Great hike. Viewpoint surrounded in cloud, couldn’t see anything. Snowing at the summit. Totally worth it. Ran into a crew working on the trail - THANKS!

Really nice. Found it to be well
Kept. Hard to find the start. View was cloudy but I assume normally is amazing.

If you can, do this hike on a week day. Very busy on weekends. Nice moderate hike with spectacular views at the top.
Easy access from Cypress parking lot.

It's a beautiful hike but get started early! It starts to get crowded just before noon.

Was such a good hike, soo busy! I went on a weekend. Silly me! But nether the less was such a great day. A decent incline and a little bit of climbing, but if you are unstable I would bring poles.

Go early so you can see the view without anyone! It was hard to get a picture without a person in it!

Nice hike, well-marked in the lower part but somewhat erratic nearing the St. Mark’s peak. Roots can be tricky in this last km of the hikes. Beautiful view from up there. Whiskey Jacks make their presence known.

Love this hike. Wow, the view on top it's really amazing. I recommend to everyone.

Trail well maintained- fabulous view at top - bring nuts for very friendly chipmunks!

Did this hike on the Saturday of the Thanksgiving long weekend. Started at 9:30 am and made it up by 11:30. I am a very new hiker and not in great shape. Took my time and still made decent timing. The first half is easy as far as the terrain goes but does involve some elevation gain. Super muddy and technical closer to the top and for about the last hour. Poles were a huge help due to the slickness! On a busy Saturday the space at the top is very limited but the views are pretty amazing. Once you get to the top you'll see the main rock to catch a view but if you go back to the trail and continue you'll grab a great view of The Lions and another viewpoint further below. Took a few couple minute breaks and with a half an hour at the top it took me 5 hours. It was very busy on the way down so had to stop a lot to share the trail. Enjoy!! :)

Had an outstanding experience, and the local fauna were more than accommodating.

Yours in good faith,

Cynthia

Amazing views at the end!!

Took me and a little dog 2 hrs to the top and then 1.5 hrs back to the bottom. Only saw one stream on the way up so bring your own water for the dog. Lots of roots for the second half of the hike so bring good footwear. Not too much room at the top to enjoy the view as compared to say, Quarry Rock. No bugs right now but was windy and chilly.

Awesome trail. Even on a cloudy day the trail was great. Took me two hours to go up, without any stop and three hours to go down, taking my time picking up mushrooms and berries. A bit hard to find the Howe Sound Crest trail at first but once you've find it, it's very easy to find your way to the top. (Tip: Follow Howe sound EAST trail). I highly recommend this one !

Took me 3,5 hours total including my stop for photos on the top. Really nice hike, some steep areas but nothing crazy in my opinion. I would like to try to run it (or most of it) next time.

Trail was well marked in my opinion, but I have experience hiking trails that aren’t as well marked.

If you want to have a peaceful hike get out there early. It starts to get busy towards noon.

Great workout rewarded by beautiful views!
TIPS: follow Howe Sound EAST trail, which includes a steady incline that levels out throughout the trail.
Took us about 2.5 hours round trip with a lunch break at the top.
PS- currently there is a bit of smoke throughout the sea to sky, you'll notice it faintly

Pretty views of the ocean - others may say incredible, but I favour mountain top views. :) Was a straight forward hike and while it had me sweating, I would say it was easier then I thought it would be. We were on the trail by 7:40am to avoid crowds in the long weekend Monday. We had to match our pace for our group of 5 so while it took us 1 hour 45 min up, this was at a moderate pace and included multiple breaks. Coming down the traffic was steady, but not packed. I read previous reviews that had me dreading the crowds and bugs, but it wasn’t bad, definitely space between groups, though I’m sure the mid day crowds had a hard time vying for a view as the lookout area is small. Also, bring bug spray in case, but we only noticed the bugs in the parking lot.

Easy and beautiful hike!! Took us 1.5hrs up and 1 hr down. Only a little elevation in the beginning and it’s pretty flat for a bit. Elevation gets more steep as you go further along. Luckily did this hike around 7am and only a few people were on the trail/top. On the way down there were at least 30+ people going up so start early if you want to avoid the crowds!

Good hike, watch out for the markers on way down as several false trails.
Good workout, next time the lions.
Highly recommend.
Only passed 6 people at most.

Great Hike... We went on a Monday and it wasn’t crowded..

Amazing views of the lions and horseshoe bay. Best views for a local hike and conveniently located near the city.
Hike was busy and view point had minimal areas to stop and soak it in.

Great hike with the exception of the crowds and loud music. I desire being with nature and though I love to see people of all ages out there, why not enjoy the moment?

Did this on the evening of Tuesday, July 24. Almost had the trail to myself, no one at the viewpoint when I got up there. Bugs weren't nearly as bad I thought they were going to be, brought bug spray and didn't use it. Took 1.25 hours to ascend and 45 minutes to descend. Great maintenance on the majority of the trail, very dry could definitely be done in runners.

Did this hike on Saturday, July 15. Going up was nice. I found the trail very well maintained for the most part. They are in the middle of working on it.

The problem here is the traffic and the bugs. You basically need netting or to use a can of bug spray. You cannot stop or you will be swamped by bugs.

The only thing worse than them is the people. The rude, obnoxious, boom box carrying, music playing, loud talking people who swarm the trail. Why must you listen to loud music on a hike? Not earbuds...but playing your music so loud we could hear it 100 feet away.

Must have passed 500+ people on the way back down. The top was ridiculously crowded and took away from the experience. While the views were lovely — it wasn’t worth it. Total distance from lower parking lot to peak, return via Bowen Lookout and Yew Lake, was 16km.

St Marks Summit was a breathtaking view from 1350m above sea level. However, the trail was very hard and not well maintained. For the last hour of reaching at the top, we were constantly surrounded by umpteen bugs and that we had to cover our ears, nose, and eyes.
I would say you definitely require hiking poles to support yourself for the last phase of the trail.
Overall not worth for the pretty limited view at the top where we spent hardly 20-25 mins, again thanks to all the bugs, and tall plants and trees obstructing the views.

Nice wooded trail with great views at the end. Well maintained.

Great hike, it was easy up until the path stopped and then it was moderate to hard from there but don’t let that discourage you; the view was amazing. took me and my girlfriend approx 3 1/2 hours. Would do it again for sure.

Went on a Saturday morning. Started the hike at 7:00 am and took us about 4 hours return including about 30 minutes on the summit. Very little snow on the trail. Lots of mud last 1/4 of trail. Also lots of mosquitoes and other flying bugs. Not many people on the trail early in the morning but must have passed at least 100 people going to the summit as we returned. Better to go early morning or weekday to avoid the crowds. The rating of moderate is accurate. There are a few steeper areas that require minor scrambling that some might find difficult but the view is worth it.