St. Mark's Summit Trail

St. Mark's Summit Trail is a 10.8 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.8 km
605 m

Great workout rewarded by beautiful views!
TIPS: follow Howe Sound EAST trail, which includes a steady incline that levels out throughout the trail.
Took us about 2.5 hours round trip with a lunch break at the top.
PS- currently there is a bit of smoke throughout the sea to sky, you'll notice it faintly

Pretty views of the ocean - others may say incredible, but I favour mountain top views. :) Was a straight forward hike and while it had me sweating, I would say it was easier then I thought it would be. We were on the trail by 7:40am to avoid crowds in the long weekend Monday. We had to match our pace for our group of 5 so while it took us 1 hour 45 min up, this was at a moderate pace and included multiple breaks. Coming down the traffic was steady, but not packed. I read previous reviews that had me dreading the crowds and bugs, but it wasn’t bad, definitely space between groups, though I’m sure the mid day crowds had a hard time vying for a view as the lookout area is small. Also, bring bug spray in case, but we only noticed the bugs in the parking lot.

Easy and beautiful hike!! Took us 1.5hrs up and 1 hr down. Only a little elevation in the beginning and it’s pretty flat for a bit. Elevation gets more steep as you go further along. Luckily did this hike around 7am and only a few people were on the trail/top. On the way down there were at least 30+ people going up so start early if you want to avoid the crowds!

Good hike, watch out for the markers on way down as several false trails.
Good workout, next time the lions.
Highly recommend.
Only passed 6 people at most.

Great Hike... We went on a Monday and it wasn’t crowded..

Amazing views of the lions and horseshoe bay. Best views for a local hike and conveniently located near the city.
Hike was busy and view point had minimal areas to stop and soak it in.

Great hike with the exception of the crowds and loud music. I desire being with nature and though I love to see people of all ages out there, why not enjoy the moment?

Did this on the evening of Tuesday, July 24. Almost had the trail to myself, no one at the viewpoint when I got up there. Bugs weren't nearly as bad I thought they were going to be, brought bug spray and didn't use it. Took 1.25 hours to ascend and 45 minutes to descend. Great maintenance on the majority of the trail, very dry could definitely be done in runners.

Did this hike on Saturday, July 15. Going up was nice. I found the trail very well maintained for the most part. They are in the middle of working on it.

The problem here is the traffic and the bugs. You basically need netting or to use a can of bug spray. You cannot stop or you will be swamped by bugs.

The only thing worse than them is the people. The rude, obnoxious, boom box carrying, music playing, loud talking people who swarm the trail. Why must you listen to loud music on a hike? Not earbuds...but playing your music so loud we could hear it 100 feet away.

Must have passed 500+ people on the way back down. The top was ridiculously crowded and took away from the experience. While the views were lovely — it wasn’t worth it. Total distance from lower parking lot to peak, return via Bowen Lookout and Yew Lake, was 16km.

St Marks Summit was a breathtaking view from 1350m above sea level. However, the trail was very hard and not well maintained. For the last hour of reaching at the top, we were constantly surrounded by umpteen bugs and that we had to cover our ears, nose, and eyes.
I would say you definitely require hiking poles to support yourself for the last phase of the trail.
Overall not worth for the pretty limited view at the top where we spent hardly 20-25 mins, again thanks to all the bugs, and tall plants and trees obstructing the views.

Nice wooded trail with great views at the end. Well maintained.

Great hike, it was easy up until the path stopped and then it was moderate to hard from there but don’t let that discourage you; the view was amazing. took me and my girlfriend approx 3 1/2 hours. Would do it again for sure.

Went on a Saturday morning. Started the hike at 7:00 am and took us about 4 hours return including about 30 minutes on the summit. Very little snow on the trail. Lots of mud last 1/4 of trail. Also lots of mosquitoes and other flying bugs. Not many people on the trail early in the morning but must have passed at least 100 people going to the summit as we returned. Better to go early morning or weekday to avoid the crowds. The rating of moderate is accurate. There are a few steeper areas that require minor scrambling that some might find difficult but the view is worth it.

A very busy hike on a holiday Monday, I would recommend going on a weekday if possible. Snow is mostly gone, just the last 15 minutes or so are in snow but it's easy to traverse.

Perfect views in a sunny day. First part of trails is really easy because the path is really well maintained. The second part is a bit more rough and pretty muddy - please don`t kill your white shining sneakers there. And mosquitoes - there are the worst! Don`t make my mistake and bring your bug spray because it kinda spoils the whole fun. On the top go to the farthest cliff - best views and almost no bugs there. One more thing - keep in mind that the creek is not a trail. At some point some people kept going downstream when they were supposed to turn - watch the signs!

Great hike! Lots of variety. The path is still muddy but manageable. Be warned there are swarms of mosquitoes the last 1/3 of the hike. Made it uncomfortable to enjoy the beautiful view at the top.

Be prepared to get muddy. Fabulous view. Patchy snow totally doable without crampons. Go in the off hours (eg early morning) to avoid massive crowds. Took us 3.5 hours including a 40 minute lunch and photo break at the top.

Visited on July 1. Some large groups visiting here. There is snow at the top, but not an issue to wear shorts, t-shirt, trail runners. the trail is quite muddy prior to the snow.

Great trail. Worth it for the view, but there are a ton of tourists so if you are trying to go somewhere to escape crowds, I would suggest somewhere else.

Great trail! Well maintained and easy to follow. there was only patchy snow at the top by July 2, but it was busy, at least 100 other people along the way!

We Hiked it 10 months ago on a beautiful day. We would do it agian. Not hard. Hike on a beautiful day and bring a lunch won't regret the view.

One of the most amazing views!! This hike is perfect for beginners looking to step up their hiking game. The trail begins with some switchbacks, then you are mostly in the forest for the rest of the way. Incline, length, and difficulty is moderate with the best reward at the top! Pick a clear day or you won't see much!

Great hike, last third has some snow coverage but nothing too difficult or deep. First 2/3rds are pretty quick with an excellent path. Final 1/3 gets more rugged with roots and rocks etc. Finish up with the Bowen view spot, then cruise the highway like path back to the lot.

One of my Favourite The view is fantastic.

We did this trail yesterday. Still completely covered in snow, so prepare to walk through snow the entire route. Trail is still easy to follow as there are signs along the way. We were the only ones at the summit in the morning. Beautiful view and worth the trek through the snow.

Hiked yesterday, snow the entire way starting at the parking lot basically. Crampons suggested!

Well marked trail. We went in October and it was fairly muddy and snowy so boots are definitely the preference over sneakers. Such a stunning view at the top to hang out and have a snack and enjoy all the whiskey jacks!

The hike was great make sure you take poles and proper snowshoes. The view on the top is amazing. Make sure you check the avalanche warnings there are about 4 avalanche paths make sure you are prepared before you head up in the winter.

October 29. Easy trail up, pretty views up top. Muddy spots here and there but it’s late in the season and has rained a bit. Pretty busy, people and dogs. Took the east trail up and down. I prefer Tunnel Bluffs over this one. Same view but shorter.