Spirit Caves Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fraser Valley B, British Columbia, Canada that features a cave and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,712 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Park at the historical graveyard and cross over the highway to the trailhead. This is a steep forest hike up to a giant boulder area with lots of caves. Some great views over the Fraser River and Yale and the caves are easily accessed.

Love this trail. Some steep parts but also lots of flat sections. Amazing view at the top. Spirit caves are pretty cool and theres more to explore if you continue up the mountain.

Hiking notes: May 28, 2020 WEATHER: 21 degrees, sunny | Party of Two TRANSPORT: Trailhead is located on the lefthand side of the road just across the street from the historic cemetery. It is a small, wooden sign with yellow letters. There is ample room on the side of the road to park: just be advised that the road is a busy highway, with large trucks traveling at high speeds. Just be careful. GENERAL IMPRESSIONS: I’d rate this hike as on the more difficult side of moderate. The trail lined with orange markers, and immediately starts off with elevation gain. Worth the moderate climb: the view from the lookout is unique, with rollings hills, mountains and the Fraser river lined with a CN rail train track. Listen for the echoes of the train as you hike. Currently, the trail is lined with honeysuckle, indian paint brush, and even western coral root. Enjoy! After the view point there is approximately 10 minutes of hiking before you reach the caves. There are many fun areas to scramble, climb and explore. Our party spent an hour here very easily. I would advise to bring a headlamp and pants to explore the caves easily. If you continue to follow the orange markers, you will end up following the trial to the top of the moss-covered hill. From here, the trail officially ends. HOWEVER: there is a trail that continues- it is marked with blue and orange flagging tape. As it takes you down the hillside you previously worked hard to climb, in the direction of a waterfall. Our party turned around prior to reaching the waterfall: we could not fully see the waterfall, and had no knowledge of the trail, so we turned around back to the trailhead. Perhaps you have some knowledge to share on the extension of this trail? NOTES: 1000: trailhead 1115: view point 1130 arrived at caves 1230: departed from spirit caves to continue the trail 1240: arrived at the end of the trail. Then continued to trail-blaze to waterfall 1340: made executive decision turn around and return to trailhead 1500: returned to view point over river 1615: arrived once again at trailhead

Was really nice, and incredible views. My new favourite lunch spot at the top. For that creepy factor visit the Pioneer Cemetery.

did not expect this tough a trail completed it anyway with my two kids. not kid friendly unless you have a preteen or older. very steep and sadly we did not find the caves but we hiked to the very top. the view is well worth it though. over all really wonderful hike just not very kid friendly.

Very quiet and serene, mostly incline but reasonable and one part where there is loose rocks. Beautiful look out at the top. The caves are just passed the lookout but they are all mossed over and covered, so there wasn't much to see. The trailhead is hard to find off the highway but it is literally in front of the cemetery.

Our family enjoyed the beginning of the hike. The views of Yale were beautiful. However we did not finish the hike as our dogs were riddled with deer ticks halfway up. Very steep drop offs along the narrow trail making it scary to do with young kids.

Nice hike!

My friends and I hiked the Spirit Caves Trail last August. It was a great trail but very steep!!! The view at the top was rewarding. The caves were ok.

Beautiful views at the top but steep climb. My legs on the way down were really wobbly. I didn’t go to the caves because I heard they were pretty underwhelming. I just went to the viewpoint. Trail is well marked and in good condition. I do recommend it!

The trailhead is quite hard to find, especially if you're approaching from the south. There's only a sign facing north. Then the trail itself... it starts out steep, never flattens out and doesn't reward you with any noteworthy vistas. Would not recommend.

I would recommend this hike to everyone. Trail starts right beside highway 1 with no dedicated parking area which makes it difficult to access.I parked at a nearby dirt road and walked to the trail. Starts with a water stream and lots of green cover. It’s definitely not an easy hike, it’s somewhat between “moderate” and “hard”. It’s not busy at all, I didn’t meet anyone during my entire hike. Come prepared with essential supplies. Views are breathtaking and make it worth 1.5 hrs hike. However, coming down is difficult. Trail is well maintained but it’s too dry with sand and gravel material. You can easily loose your footing on the edge and loose your balance. Make sure you have a good hiking boots with firm grip. Never do it with a pair of Runners. All and all decent hike with nice views of Fraser river and surrounding mountains.

as beautiful as this trail is, i wouldn't rate it as being a moderate difficulty the decent was very steep and difficult, so be prepared for that. the views of Yale were lovely, but the best parts of the hike were at the very beginning, rather than at the top.

This trail was a surprise. So much fun. A quick but steep ascent and then a leg killer on the way down due to loose gravel on a steep trail. But the trail is in great condition and we were virtually alone. Passed one couple in the way up and another on the way down. Nice to avoid the crowds that many other trails have. The views are fantastic and the caves are interesting. We weren’t all that interested in going inside but we poked around. The trail is narrow and steep in most sections but with older or well wrangled kids.. it’s not a bad hike to do with kids. They will love the caves. And dogs would be just fine. An excellent hike overall. And I have no idea why people think this overgrown. We did not find this at all.

This is the 2nd time doing this trail, love it!!!! There were kids with their parents doing it 9&10 years old, no problem, you should be in decent shape since it’s all up hill, worth it. Of course there are bugs, over grown in areas it’s the wilderness, not the spa!!!!

Really great view, enjoyable trail. Parts of it are pretty narrow and other parts are overgrown. Beware of ticks!

Mon May 27 2019

Drove 2 hours to get here only to find the path completely over grown and not maintained at all. Since we weren't familiar with the area amd didn't want to get a tick we gave up and went elsewhere. Unfortunate but it is what it is.

Wed May 08 2019

definitely harder then expected, wouldnt take kids though. dog did it ok. wish there were more caves to view but the sights were gorgeous. steep and slippery at points. watch out for ticks, my friend had one. was a great hike though.

Sun May 05 2019

We did this hike last week, May 5th. Beautiful day and well worth the steep upward grind! The view is outstanding! My wife and I commented how this probably wasn't a good hike to bring kids on, steep and close to the edge of the slope in a lot of places.Not even 10 minutes later we caught up to two dads and their kids, we must be getting old! Kudos to the people who carried the log benches up to the look out, they did a great job! Amazing view looking down on Yale and the Fraser River. We set out to the boulders and the caves after a rest and honestly didn't explore this area very much. We did go as far as we could, trail poorly marked and seemed to abruptly end. Over all a great hike, be sure to check out the cemetery across the highway as well.

Sun May 05 2019

This trail is marked as dog and kid friendly but I wouldn't call it either. It's a steep hike that goes by some significant drops. I took my twins up who are nearly six but they needed help in some sections, especially on the way down as it's just loose rocks and dirt. Peekaboo views of the valley and Fraser river. Worth it if you are in the area but I wouldn't go out of my way to do this hike.

Sat Mar 30 2019

It was a beautiful view at the top but getting there was definitely a little more nervous for anyone less sure footed and scared of heights (narrow trail with steep drop off). The caves were more for small animals and we weren't too keen on harassing any that might have been sleeping in the nooks and crannies. Well maintained and clear of trees; just a lot of lose small rocky sections.

Sun Mar 24 2019

this trail was hard but the first point of view is really worth it. after you hike 5-10 minutes where you begin to see the caves. You have to be careful and look closely when you'll find one you'll be able to find the other. We went down one it was kind of scary and we managed to get out from another hole. There was a rope in one that seemed to go down deeper but we didn't want to risk it. Don't go farther than the rocks caves the trail is less clear and not as worth it.

Sun Mar 17 2019

Well groomed. No caves really, just a couple of boulders. View is really nice.

Fri Dec 07 2018

It was a good day for the hike. The hike starts off easy before heading over a few ice covered rocks and an ice covered little bridge. Both were very slippery but not that big of a deal. With stops and all we took our time and reached the top in about 1.5 hours. The climb up was steep in some sections but I never felt like I was in risk of losing my footing. The trail is quite slender but again, traction is good. Once you get to the viewpoint you can get some amazing photos and the caves are a short walk from there. The caves are more like large stacked rocks and don't go very far. There were no bears in them when we went and we explored around to find some of the bigger ones. We squeezed in and out of tiny holes in the earth to explore as much as we could. All in all, we probably went inside about 5-7 caves while we were there. Trip down was a quick 40 minutes walk. A good starter hike for sure.