Semaphore Lakes Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pemberton, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October.

Length3.6 miElevation gain1,338 ftRoute typeOut & back
Photos (68)
Recordings (28)
Completed (141)
Hudson Meredith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 13, 2020
HikingMuddySnow

Hiked up to the lakes early on Oct 12 2020. I was the first one up so the trail was very hard to find in some spots because the snow was covering most trail flagging. The trail has mostly turned into a creek so prepare for lots of water and mud. Overall a very rewarding hike with spectacular views. Definitely on my list for hikes in the summer next year.

Down Wash
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 3, 2020
View Down's Recording
Anton Gerasimov
Hiking

Oct 3, 2020 - Locomotive Mountain - Tender Mountain - Caboose Peak via Semaphore Lakes Trail 14.7 km - 1,375 m total elevation gain Harvey River FSR is in great condition, making the trailhead easily accessible in a 2WD vehicle. The trail to Semaphore Lakes is well marked and easy to follow. There will be a maze of trails in the lakes area. Fall colors are stunning here, with all the bright reds, yellows and oranges. Continue in the S-W direction along the lakes and up the stream with pretty noisy waterfall on your right. Following the creek (not marked on the map) up the steep ascent will bring you to small lake at the base of the glacier. Turn left to walk around the lake and continue straight, avoiding the glacier, to get to the main trail on top of the ridge that goes to Locomotive Mountain (see the recording). Lots of cairns on the trail to help navigation. Took us 20 minutes to get to Tender Mountain from Locomotive and another 10 min to Caboose Peak. On the way back, once we descended from Tender Mountain, we made a shortcut to avoid unnecessary ascend to where the trail starts going off the ridge downwards. Plenty of water on the way, however, the last clean water that doesn't require filtering is in the Semaphore Lakes area.

View Anton's Recording
Neil Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 29, 2020
View Neil's Recording
근왕 정
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 28, 2020
View 근왕's Recording
Mike Garson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
Hiking

great trail. lots of mud and it snowed on us at the lakes.

View Mike's Recording
Rahim Hoffman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 7, 2020
BackpackingGreat!
View Rahim's Recording
Alisha Welch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
HikingMuddy

I loved this hike! Quite a drive, but a short hike and so worth it. Trailhead is just past 14km on Hurley FSR. Made it easily with a subaru outback. Trail was well marked and once you reach semaphore lakes, there are tonsss of different trails to explore. I just did a day trip but would go back and camp by the lakes. Lots of good spots. Took me about 2.5hrs round trip, spent a while at the last lake and took a dip in the first lake. Some parts are steep, and lots of muddy sections. Don’t think poles are totally necessary (they’d help) , but def recommend hiking boots. No bathrooms or facilities so bring toilet paper and pack it out! It’s a beautiful place, so let’s keep it that way. Enjoy!

Rahim Hoffman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 5, 2020
Backpacking
View Rahim's Recording
Nikol Marconova
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 31, 2020
Running

In and out in few hrs. Scramble to the top of the locomotive mountain (off trail, bit sketchy). A bit longer drive to the trailhead. Worth it.

Meghan Burrows
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 30, 2020
Hiking

August 29, We went up for the weekend and camped on August 28 by the first low lake. In the morning (August 29) while making coffee a grizzly bear hopped in the water less than 100m from us and began swimming towards our campsite. He got out of the water and followed as we went in the direction of the next large group. He appeared to be bathing and our shouting (do NOT shout) likely made him curious which is why he chose to follow. He was within 30m during that time and we chose not to spend a second night there due to the bears apparent comfort being around people.

Ember Diazon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 27, 2020
Hiking

Hiked today. The trail is very steep, muddy in some parts but otherwise a great hike. We spent 1 hr going up and 57 minutes going down. The views are amazing!

Breena Dube
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 14, 2020
Nature tripsBugsGreat!Muddy

Gorgeous hike, especially on a sunny day! Took us 2hr 15min up with stops & only 1hr down with no stops. There are spots to camp around all of the lakes and it wasn’t too busy which was lovely. If you head towards the third lake make sure to take one of the trails off to the right (follow the sound) to see the big waterfall. Bugs were annoying but tolerable in mid-August. Like everyone else said, the google maps directions is wrong on here, the parking spot is just past the 14km mark on the Hurley FSR. The road was super bumpy but we didn’t come across any potholes. Endless amount of trails at the top to explore so I definitely recommend camping.

Kayoko Hamamoto
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 12, 2020
BugsMuddyScramble
Angela Loureiro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2020
Hiking

Great hike, amazing views, nice and short hike in exchange for a longer drive. I did it in Volkswagen Jetta and would recommend a car with higher clearance... although it can be done in a lower one but be careful to drive slower. So worth it, best views I have seen from such a short hike

Jean Ricardo da Silva
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

Breathtaking hike. To get to the trailhead is 30km in dirty road. Not recommended for low clearance car. I did with my civic anyways. The best hike I've ever done. Amazing view. Really muddy. Lots of mosquitos.

View Jean Ricardo's Recording
Cameron Lyon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
View Cameron 's Recording
Leanna Bedell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!MuddyNo shade

A short, steep hike with rewarding views! My boyfriend and I hiked up late in the afternoon on August 4th and camped one night. From Pemberton it's about 21 km on gravel roads (the roads progressively get worse and worse), which in our Durango took about 35-45 mins. From the McDonald's in Pemberton it's almost exactly 50 km total. I would highly recommend a good vehicle (all wheel drive, good tires + suspension) and a confident driver for the gravel roads. The "parking lot" (really just a pullout) is on the left and easy to miss if there are no cars there already. We didn't see a sign or anything to indicate the trailhead but it's easy to spot once you park. The hike itself is not that exciting or interesting, and it's very steep. With packs, it took us 2.5 hours but we went very slowly due to the 30 degree heat. The trail is mostly exposed, so be prepared! The bugs are also VERY bad. This year might be a particularly worse year since our wet season ran late, but the first half of the hike had awful black flies swarming you. They didn't bite much but were a huge annoyance flying around your eyes. I'm not going to lie, with the flies + heat we almost turned around. But I'm very glad we stuck it through because the views at the top are amazing! Alpine flowers in full bloom, blue lakes that sparkle when the sun hikes just right, and great mountain views. Lots and lots of space to spread out; there were only a few other people hiking and camping but we barely noticed them anyways. It felt like we had the entire place to ourselves. Easy to find cold running water to drink. Lots of little trails to wander around and explore (please stay on these trails and don't ruin the plants!). Quite a few camping options, we found a nice secluded spot within the trees to protect from the wind that started up late in the day + early the next morning. It cooled off during the night but in my -9 degree sleeping bag I was cosy. I'm sure there's lots of wildlife in the area, but we only saw some birds and chipmunks. However, the mosquitos were VERY big and there were plenty of them; bring lots of bug spray. The trees here aren't too tall, so it was a bit tricky finding a good spot to hang our food. Despite the heat, hiking down was a bit tricky since it is fairly steep and still muddy in many parts; poles were helpful for my knees but I still managed to slip in the mud once. Wear good waterproof boots and maybe even gators. I think it took us around 1.5 hours (I have bad knees so we go quite slow; I'm sure many could do it faster, especially without packs).

Lauren Moore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
HikingBugsMuddy

Amazing hike, short but steep to the lakes. Some bugs but not nearly as many at the lake. Took us about an hour to get to the lake.

Tommy O Hanlon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
Bugs

August 1st 2020. There are a lot of bugs/flies on this trail at the moment and they bite. Trousers and Long sleeves highly recommend. We 2WD up the forest road which was fine(dry road conditions). Steep hike at start but highly enjoyable throughout. Rewarding views for a short hike. Lots of bugs though. 6.5km Round Trip.

Roberto Galletto
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020
HikingBugsMuddy

Nice hike to Semaphore Lakes, perfect for overnight tenting, 2 bigger lakes and a smaller one awaits you on top. Trail goes up for 2,5 from the parking lot(side of the road) where the trail starts. Follow the multi colours ribbons. “Parking” and beginning of the trail are located on the Hurley River FSR shortly after the 14km mark appears. Many cool spot around the lakes for tents. Worth to attempt one of the summit nearby. We did Locomotive peak and it was awesome, nice to go for a swim post hike. I tried to cast my spinning rod few times but nothing. Still not sure if there’s any fish in the lake.