Pierce Lake Trail is a 11.4 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fraser Valley E, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.4 km Elevation Gain: 1,150 m Route Type: Out & Back

Steep knee cracker of a hike up more than 1200m elevation in approximate 6km. Gorgeous, large mountain lake. Lower pierce lake is the main attraction, upper pierce lake add another 2.5km and 300m elevation.

A chronicle by the aggressively average hiker. KM 0-1.5: nothing but a steep incline. I wanted death to find me. It didn’t help that I drank a large coffee while climbing the first bit. Don’t do that. KM 1.5-2: not as bad. Some downhill spots that made my muscles very happy but made me quite disgruntled. I knew I’d just have to go up again. Twas bittersweet. KM 2-3: death started to become a viable option again, though not as bad as before, as I was more warmed up. There were some more interesting obstacles like rock jumping and creek hopping, and not just knee crunching hill walking. KM 4-6: I’m basically a pro at this point. (I think the incline just wasn’t as bad.) The trail got a bit more snowy and the markers were quite hard to find in some spots. If it wasn’t for fresh tracks in the snow, I’d have gotten lost more times than I did. Towards the end the snow was getting quite softer as it was 2pm and sunny, so I’d sink knee or hip deep in snow a couple times. Finally made it to the lower lake: view was beautiful! Didn’t go to the upper lake because the snow was ridiculous in some spots and my hiking buddy’s leg started seizing up, and it was getting late. I have more excuses if you’d like to hear them. Will hike again and make it up to the upper lake in the summer- when there’s no snow, and I forget the hike in the beginning. The hike wasn’t too busy and everyone social distanced properly. P.s. the “knee crunching” part of the hike best describes the walk down. Very painful on the joints. Hopefully I can walk again soon. End with a donair, DQ blizzard and Netflix for optimal satisfaction.

Super beautiful. Snow covering most of the lake mid May. Trail was a bit hard to follow for the last third and there’s a fair bit of snow but it’s doable if you’re careful and resilient. Gorgeous and a challenge, looking forward to returning!

Made it to the lake in 4hrs. The snow was quite bad after the creek crossing at approx 3.5km. I would highly recommend crampons and poles as the incline was steep and the snow was slippery. The markers were hard to see and I got off the trail a few times. Overall the hike was awesome with a great snow-covered lake at the end! I would only recommend to more seasoned hikers in these conditions.

Good trail, decent work out , but only got about 4 km due to terrain difficulties with snow/ice and steep terrain potentially prone to small scale avalanches. Definitely will be back in the summer!

icy

Good hike, couldn’t make it to the Top due to slippery sections at about 900m elevation/4km up

August 25-26 Party of 3 Started Late (1000) first time for all of us, steeper than we expected. Keep an eye out for the 'Pierce Lake Trail' signpost after the road opens up about 500m in from the parking lot off to the right in the bush. We almost missed it, as well as heard some other groups had missed it and had to double back as well, eyes up ;). Nice trail lots of natural edibles along the way. We reached the lower lake in 4 hours including an out of shape hike a lunch stop and my knee injury acting up about 2.5 hours in. Rained all night. Lake is nice for swimming, lots of garbage up there unfortunately, buckets, wrappers, nails. Please remember to pack out what you pack in. Down with injuries and stops altogether was 3h45m. its steep eniught that down is almost as difficult as up and in some parts arguably harder. Will be back once healed to do upper lake and the summit. No break-ins for us fortunately. We took an older beater van, emptied it and left the glove box open inside... deterrent? perhaps? maybe just luck.

I tried to summit Mt MacFarlane on August 12th but it was too cloudy so we stopped at Upper Pierce lake. This trail is for more experienced hikers because it is long, mixed with steep inclines, roots, and rocks. We took a leisure pace going up which took roughly 5 hours going up, then went down in 3.5 hours in the dark. It would have been better if we went on a clearer day but overall it was worth it because we caught an amazing sunset. When I returned to my car at midnight my car was broken into and belongings stolen. I highly advise you not to leave your car overnight or once the sun sets. There is a regular thief here and there is lots of broken glass around the parking lot to prove it. I tested my luck by going on a weekday but the thief still seems to strike even on weekdays.

Went up Canada day to upper peirce lake, grueling accent but beautiful views. Had a bit of snow near the end. We made it return in just under 6 hours, some jogging. Another cars window was smashed in and he had been parked overnight.

Great hike to beautiful views. It took 3 hours to get to the main lake and 2 more hours to get up to the upper lake. Definitely a leg burner but well worth it. The upper lake is still partly frozen.

Pretty unforgiving ascent and descent there's not much flat sections. As of June 9th there's snow getting to Upper Pierce. Beware overnight campers there were two cars with smashed windows when I got there in the morning.

Snow clear past Pierce lake. Trail in good condition.

Thu May 16 2019

This trail was not for the faint of heart or legs, climbs up steadily the whole way. we accidentally went left at the boulder field which had us scrambling with little to no grip. made it to pierce lake and tried for second, but we were definitely still in avalanche season, and the was up had been snowed over. stayed overnight on the lake, and headed back in the morning. Unfortunately, our car was badly vandalized, would recommend trying for a day hike and light pack;)

Sun Apr 28 2019

Was up today, 27 Apr 19. Trail is clear for about 5.5km, snow gets quite deep after that.

Sat Apr 13 2019

This trail is not suitable for winter or early spring travel. The uppermost section before cresting the final ridge and gaining the first Pierce Lake is dangerous without the summer trail. My dog and I ended up scrambling on steep slush-over-ice in substantially exposed terrain. I love that kind of crap but I wouldn't recommend for others to follow in my footsteps. Trail should be clear of snow to the lake by the end of April.

Tue Sep 04 2018

Had a great hike up to the second lake. She's a steep knee grinder both ways so beware. I brought my dog and we got through it in 6.5 hours with a bit of a lunch hangout at the wrecked platform. Met two nice guys searching for old mine shafts and found an old Spear head while hiking this trail. Totally recommend!

Tue Aug 14 2018

We hiked this August 11th-12th for one overnight. I want to start of with saying that my car got broken into and badly vandalized! Such a shock to find my car that way, I bought the vehicle 10 days ago! :(. They tried prying open the hood, broke the front grill, smashed a window, damaged things underneath the steering wheel, everything was turned upside down, they undid the battery. I couldn't even drive it home. After hitch-hiking to town to get phone reception I was able to set everything in motion (police, tow truck, ICBC, etc.). It was a very sad and stressful day. There were more cars with broken windows, but my car seemed the only vandalized. Be careful out there, however I am unsure how I could've prevented vandalism like that.. About the hike. It was amazing, and steep! We were in cloud cover, but still had a fantastic time camping up at Upper Pierce Lake.

Mon Aug 13 2018

Beware to those staying overnight: when we arrived Sunday morning (Aug 12), we saw that the cars of those who stayed over Saturday night were broken into. At least 4 cars had their windows smashed and one vehicle had the grill taken off their car and the front hood and back door was banged up. We had to tell everyone on their way down (as we were going up) that their vehicle likely got messed up - real bummer. Don't leave any valuables behind! The hike itself is beautiful but very steep and hard on the knees (I recommend hiking poles/sticks for the way down). We went straight to Upper Pierce Lake - took 4 hours up and 3 hours down. It was very cold at the top despite it being very hot and muggy for most of the way up - bring layers and lots of water!

Tue Jul 24 2018

Challenging and steep trail. Took us 3 hours to reach the lower lake and then another 2 hours to get to the upper lake with a few short water breaks thrown in. The hike is a mixture of steep,forested switchbacks, creek crossings, boulder fields and some scrambling. Some parts of the trail,had loose shale. It was another 40 minutes up for some of us who hiked up to the summit. The views are worth the effort. The descent took almost 4 hours and our knees and quads definitely took a pounding. Poles were very useful.

Mon Jul 16 2018

There was a little bit of snow on the one side of the lake, but the water was warm enough to swim in. Trail was steeper than we expected and was hard on the joints. The hike was nice, but difficult. It was still quite warm even under the trees, bring extra water! Completed July 14/18

Fri Jul 06 2018

It was a tough-ish trek up, but the way down is what kills you. Retie your boots and be ready to guard your knees! It’s a pretty Trek though!

Sun Jul 01 2018

Beautiful area, once at pierce lake a 2 bike takes you to the top lake. Very isolated area. Advanced, hard.

Mon Jun 25 2018

Parking at the trailhead overnight can result in stolen tires and rims!! We arrived back to our truck after camping at the lower lake overnight to find it resting on two logs with NO WHEELS. Another party of hikers (who so kindly gave us a ride out of there) had their car's door handles yanked off. When we filed a report with the RCMP the officer advised us to get our truck towed asap as hooligans in the area will light cars on fire just for fun. The lake was nice but in my opinion not worth risking car parts.

Tue May 29 2018

completed may 27 2018: A relatively steep trail 6.4 kilometers up to the lower lake uphill the whole way. About 2.5-3k in you'll run across a boulder field where you can peak out at the valley, though the view isn't anything to write home about. Just past that you enter a beautiful old growth forest. the creek runs through it and there's some flat areas if you want to spend the night. Continue on for another 3.5k and you'll reach the lower lake. From there you will have an excellent view of MacFarlane and a beautiful lake to keep you company. We ended up stopping there but you can go on to Upper Pierce Lk and MacFarlane if you want to. The lower lake would be an excellent spot to pitch a tent and then go on to MacFarlane As of may 27th 2018 the trail was completely snow free and the lake had a thin layer of ice on it.

Mon Jul 24 2017

dont not complete need more experience befirr trying this one again cant wait to see what at the top and the lake