Pierce Lake Trail

Pierce Lake Trail is a 11.4 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

11.4 km
1,150 m

paddle sports

Steep knee cracker of a hike up more than 1200m elevation in approximate 6km. Gorgeous, large mountain lake. Lower pierce lake is the main attraction, upper pierce lake add another 2.5km and 300m elevation.

We hiked this August 11th-12th for one overnight. I want to start of with saying that my car got broken into and badly vandalized! Such a shock to find my car that way, I bought the vehicle 10 days ago! :(. They tried prying open the hood, broke the front grill, smashed a window, damaged things underneath the steering wheel, everything was turned upside down, they undid the battery. I couldn't even drive it home. After hitch-hiking to town to get phone reception I was able to set everything in motion (police, tow truck, ICBC, etc.). It was a very sad and stressful day. There were more cars with broken windows, but my car seemed the only vandalized. Be careful out there, however I am unsure how I could've prevented vandalism like that..

About the hike. It was amazing, and steep! We were in cloud cover, but still had a fantastic time camping up at Upper Pierce Lake.

Beware to those staying overnight: when we arrived Sunday morning (Aug 12), we saw that the cars of those who stayed over Saturday night were broken into. At least 4 cars had their windows smashed and one vehicle had the grill taken off their car and the front hood and back door was banged up. We had to tell everyone on their way down (as we were going up) that their vehicle likely got messed up - real bummer. Don't leave any valuables behind!

The hike itself is beautiful but very steep and hard on the knees (I recommend hiking poles/sticks for the way down). We went straight to Upper Pierce Lake - took 4 hours up and 3 hours down. It was very cold at the top despite it being very hot and muggy for most of the way up - bring layers and lots of water!

Challenging and steep trail. Took us 3 hours to reach the lower lake and then another 2 hours to get to the upper lake with a few short water breaks thrown in. The hike is a mixture of steep,forested switchbacks, creek crossings, boulder fields and some scrambling. Some parts of the trail,had loose shale. It was another 40 minutes up for some of us who hiked up to the summit. The views are worth the effort. The descent took almost 4 hours and our knees and quads definitely took a pounding. Poles were very useful.

There was a little bit of snow on the one side of the lake, but the water was warm enough to swim in. Trail was steeper than we expected and was hard on the joints. The hike was nice, but difficult. It was still quite warm even under the trees, bring extra water! Completed July 14/18

It was a tough-ish trek up, but the way down is what kills you. Retie your boots and be ready to guard your knees!

It’s a pretty Trek though!

Beautiful area, once at pierce lake a 2 bike takes you to the top lake. Very isolated area. Advanced, hard.

Parking at the trailhead overnight can result in stolen tires and rims!! We arrived back to our truck after camping at the lower lake overnight to find it resting on two logs with NO WHEELS. Another party of hikers (who so kindly gave us a ride out of there) had their car's door handles yanked off. When we filed a report with the RCMP the officer advised us to get our truck towed asap as hooligans in the area will light cars on fire just for fun. The lake was nice but in my opinion not worth risking car parts.

completed may 27 2018:

A relatively steep trail 6.4 kilometers up to the lower lake uphill the whole way. About 2.5-3k in you'll run across a boulder field where you can peak out at the valley, though the view isn't anything to write home about. Just past that you enter a beautiful old growth forest. the creek runs through it and there's some flat areas if you want to spend the night. Continue on for another 3.5k and you'll reach the lower lake. From there you will have an excellent view of MacFarlane and a beautiful lake to keep you company. We ended up stopping there but you can go on to Upper Pierce Lk and MacFarlane if you want to. The lower lake would be an excellent spot to pitch a tent and then go on to MacFarlane

As of may 27th 2018 the trail was completely snow free and the lake had a thin layer of ice on it.

Monday, July 24, 2017

dont not complete need more experience befirr trying this one again cant wait to see what at the top and the lake

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Completed July 9th. Some snow left past Pierce Lake on the way to upper pierce. Stunning views!

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Completed June 2nd and it was steep and difficult. Lots of snow still!

Sunday, July 09, 2017