Panorama Ridge is a 17.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cheakamus 11, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until October.

Distance: 17.6 miles Elevation Gain: 5,055 feet Route Type: Loop

It has been reported that this trail is closed due to bears (09/29/19) please check ahead before setting out for this trail. This is a strenuous hike that can be done in one day or in 2. Not only is it a great workout, but the views at the end are the best.

Truly a magnificent hike for the mind and body. I came to Garibaldi without any expectation nor have I done any research before I attempted it. Once I reached the Garibaldi Lake it was such a beautiful sight to behold. From then on I continued to Panorama Ridge being in the presence of it all was well worth the journey. A MUST do! Just go out and enjoy it for yourself!

Spectacular view. Well worth the hike.

One of my favourite trails I’ve ever done. Tons of switchbacks on your way up to the lake but the viewpoints are still beautiful. Once you reach garibaldi the hike to summit has a vast amount of lookouts and flora worth observing. The alpine meadows are incredible. Summit is of course breathtaking as well!

My all time favourite!! Loved every minute of it! There was some decent snowfall before we did this so once we got above the forest we were seeing snow and the meadows onwards was all snow covered! It was very vast terrain with bushes, forests, lakes, meadows, peaks, rocky surfaces and at some points we would just follow tracks and sometimes make our own and just head towards the ridge. There’s about a 2km walk in until you read the sign that says panorama ridge 16kms or something so the whole round trip is about 34-36kms from memory. Start early so you have the whole day and some time up the top. 1000000% recommend!

One of my fav long trails, the views are amazing, and you will see quite a variation - bushes, forest, lake, meadows, peaks, rocky surfaces... Really enjoyed! Start early as it’s very busy trail, and go down to Garibaldi lake to refresh yourself in ice cold water.

Was about 18” or so of fairly fresh snow in areas past the huts as you break into the open area. We had to break trail from about 5klm which was tiring. Due to limited daylight we decided to stop about 1.5 klm from the end of the Panorama Ridge. We settled on a ridge with nice views of the Tusk and surrounding area. People (and there were very very few) that did follow us had a much smoother trail. The weather was great which made this trip very rewarding albeit exhausting. Microspikes and snowshoes required. The 8 klms of trail to the open area was dry for about 4.5 klm and then icy/ snow. I uploaded a few images.

icy

Hiked on Nov 14/2019. Snow started at the 6km mark where the trail splits to Garibaldi Lake and Taylor Meadows. A bit of path finding required during the final ascent up to the ridge. Any new snow the next few days might obscure the trail entirely.

Hiked on Nov 10 2019. Trailhead is easily accessible. No signs of snow until Taylor Meadows. After which, there are intermittent patches of snow and mud till I got to the Helm Pass. From there, it was snow all the way to the top. But the trail was packed and not really icy at the steep sections. I never had to take out my microspikes. Blue skies and views were incredible! The are “bear in area” signs after the 6km junction but the trail is open. Check the bc parks website before going and be bear aware. Happy hiking :)

closed

Have done this 4 years ago. A must do for all experienced hikers. Now back for a rerun, but could not do it: Trail does not go further than lowest point to the lake/camp grounds. Upwards to Black Tusk and the ridge the trails are closed because of a black bear which is defensive to intruders to its habitat. Better go to the visitors center in Whistler for advice on current situation before doing this hike.

Did this hike on October 10th, trail was open***** Absolutely beautiful hike that should be on everyone’s bucket list of hikes. Rather moderate up until the last 2km, which is a steep scramble over a rock slide. Give yourself plenty of time to do this hike as i almost got stuck hiking in the dark. Took my time and made up back to the parking lot after 11 hours of hiking. Although the description says 28km, i clocked 32km. Would highly recommend this hike to anyone with moderate hiking experience and proper footwear!!

Incredible!!! We started from Garibaldi lake since we were camping there.First km is some steeper switchbacks but then 3km of flat ground which is nice before the real scramble starts! The trail was quite muddy and icy when we went so proper footwear is a must. The last 3km is over rocky ground which was also icy. The trail is pretty clear and well marked though. Did this with a sprained knee so I stopped a lot and it took me about 4.75 hours to get up there. Unfortunately we didn’t stay very long (seeing as it did take longer than the average) and we didn’t want to get stuck hiking back in the dark (although we did catch an amazing sunset!). Definitely layer up around this time though and maybe bring something for your face to avoid wind burn! Will forsure do this hike again next year when my knee is healed!

A dream come true for me! We did it on Sept 1st long weekend and it was supposed to rain and there was a chance of thunderstorm too.. but the weather was on our side and we got a little bit of everything except a thunderstorm! Such amazing trails.. well marked.. was super busy but oh so beautiful! We did it as a day hike, took us 12 hours out and back with lots of breaks.. The first 6 km is all steep switch backs so don’t rush it because if you do you won’t have enough energy got the last 3 km to the top (which is also steep and rocky!) Of course proper footwear is needed.. lots of snacks and water too! Enjoy your time! Sooooooo worth it!

As of Sept 29th the trail entrance for Panorama Ridge and Black Tusk was closed due to a bear in the area. Don’t know how long it will be closed for but best to call BC Parks before making the trip out.

Trail closed 29/09 - bears

Oh boy. It is definitely winter on this trail as of 9/28/19. Probably would have been better to hike a month ago but the views at the top are still stunning. There was about 4 ft of snow above the tree line. Definitely need a good coat, microspikes, gloves and poles for this one. If you’re looking for more summer/fall conditions come back in 2020!