Panorama Ridge

Panorama Ridge is a 29.5 kilometer out and back trail located near Squamish-Lillooet, British Columbia, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from July until October.

29.5 km
1,635 m

2 minutes ago

Hard trail but the view is amazing!

Hiked on 8/11 despite the fog and chance of rain. We traveled from California and couldn’t reschedule our trip, so decided to go for it and expected no views. The trail itself is very well maintained and well marked with great signs! Scenery was beautiful despite the overcast weather. Terrain is varied so no chance of boredom. We decided to do a loop from the parking lot up through Taylor Meadows, up to Panorama Ridge, then down to Lake Garibaldi and back to the switchbacks (since we couldn’t see the lake from the ridge). This was about 30km/20 miles. The climb was steady and not too difficult, and the rock scramble to the summit was exhilarating. Bummer the summit was socked in by fog but still felt accomplished by making it to the top!! We stopped many times for breaks, photos, and lunch so it took us 10 hours. I would definitely do it again if I return to Canada.

Incredible hike, we stayed at Garabaldi lake campground so we hiked the nine kilometres prior to the ridge hike. The ridge hike itself from the campground was 7km one way and it was rewarded with incredible views. the majority of the hike is pretty straight forward but the last part of the hike is a steep scramble. 100% worth it !!

I went for sunset and it was amazing. It took 3:25 from the rubble creek parking lot.
My only problem was that my bug spray only worked for the mosquitoes and not for the massive biting flies that were everywhere.

The trail up to panorama ridge only has 2 small snow patches which can be traversed through in hiking shoes. There are also 2 small muddy patches along the way. No special equipment needed to get to summit.

Hiking sticks will help with stability as the final couple of hundred of meters are a little steeper. Went through taylor meadows to the ridge from rubble creek parking lot.

Amazing trail! An unforgettable experience.

An absolut must if you are in the area. You can just camp in the lake to make it easier and take a couple of miles out of your trail.

The first 4-6km of the hike are the hardest (steepest and many switch backs). But once you are out of the forest, and reach Taylor Meadows, it becomes flatter the rest of the way and the scenic views are unreal from there and only get better. We hiked from Rubble Creek parking lot (started at 8am) all the way over the mountain ridge to the top of Panorama Ridge where you get a stunning 360 degrees view of all: Black Tusk and the mountains and Garibaldi lake. If you want to hike the Black Tusk as well, I would suggest camping and saving it for another day as we didn’t have time to do both. But the entire way up to Panorama Ridge, you are able to see the Black Tusk and it’s stunning from afar so I would personally choose the Panorama Ridge over Tusk if you attempting this hike in a day. We stopped (many times) once for lunch at the top and other times to take pictures and arrived back at the parking lot at 5:30pm. Try and do this on a sunny day, otherwise clouds or fog can restrict you from seeing anything, which it did to us the first time we did this hike and we couldn’t see a thing. Did the whole thing in 9.5 hours.

wow. just WOW. the viewpoint is amazing and worth every last switchback, scramble, and mosquito bite. the first 8km switchbacks are pretty brutal with a pack on, but from Taylor Meadows it was a piece of cake. we also slid down the snow patches on our butts for the descent. super fun sledding down!

bring bug spray! seriously, they're ruthless little blood suckers until you are on the ascent of the ridge.

if you're debating between black tusk or panorama, I think panorama is the way to go.

We did the hike yesterday. it was amazing. Still snow on the top, but nothing terrible. Dont forget plastic garbage bags ;) the slide down was wonderful experience (even we had no bags) ;) and it was faster.

My wife and I did the hike yesterday. it's was Amazing and very rewarding. Yes it was a hard and long hike. Would do it again but this time in 2 days. 10.25 hours and stayed 45 min at the top.

Did this hike on Saturday 29 June. It was an amazing hike, did it in 11 hours. The 7km of switchbacks are cruel!
There is still around 2 feet of snow past 1700 metres, we didn't have crampons or snow shoes but had gaiters and waterproof boots which were fine.

i will be hiking this trial Friday July 27th. full route in one day. if you are interested in hiking with me give me a shout - thulak@outlook.com

Everything its built up to be. One of the best hikes in BC. Bring a camera and wind and rain gear it can sock in fast and get wet and cold even in August. very busy go in the fall.

Beautiful hike and amazing views. Diverse hike covering meadow area (albeit snow covered), valley views, mountain views, and of course the blue Garibaldi Lake. Definitely didn't disappoint. Did this from Garibaldi Lake campground and took just over 3 hours to get to the top with a full pack! Started at 9am, got to the top noonish. Only a few other people were up there with me. Trail is full of snow 15 minutes after you leave Garibaldi Lake. Did it in boots/wool socks. Definitely doable without snowshoes, just be warned that your feet will probably get wet. Had an offline guide with me just in case I got lost, but was able to follow old footprints in the snow as well as junction markers. Shaved a bunch of time off the descent by sliding down from the top! So fun! Best to start before noon as the sun melts down the snow and makes it softer and therefore harder to hike on.

As of 06/17- The trail is still covered in deep snow but the view of the lake and surrounding mountains is worth the extra effort.

BRING WINTER BOOTS AND WOOL SOCKS. Snowshoes and/or micro-spikes are definitely recommended as well.

Most diverse and scenic trail I’ve ever been on. Camping and taking it in for a few days while exploring black Tusk aswell!

The view at the end is worth the effort to get there!

One of my all time favorites. It is fun to camp at garibaldi lake and then finish panorama ridge in the morning. Allows for more energy to play on the glacier and enjoy the views. In the summer lots of people swim in the lake which is always a highlight. I have also been up here on snowshoes however it was quite difficult to reach due to the absent trails and poor snow quality.

I saw on 10hikes(https://10hikes.com/canada/whistler-hikes/panorama-ridge/) that you can slide down the glacier, but I haven't been able to find more advice on this. Any tips?

This hike is tons of fun
Would recommend to camp at battleship island and make it a 3 or 4 day hike to see black tusk as well
Great view from every where
9.5/10 is what I rate it

Amazing! Start early to avoid hiking in the dark, but if you have enough food and gear the sunset from the Ridge is beautiful.

Still snow on upper part of trail,slippery,
Easy to follow. Beautiful view. I suggest hiking boots and micro spikes ( would make going up easier but not necessary. Garibaldi campsite very busy, Helm Creek much quieter.

Amazing hike, not as difficult as people say it is. Amazing views.

Amazing hike! It took about 8 hours round trip, not including a dip at the lake. While it is faster to bypass the lake and head through Taylor Meadows at the 6km junction up the garibaldi lake trail, the lake itself is definitely worth stopping by if you have the time! From the lake, the trail switchbacks up the hill until it enters a meadow, and casually climbs through the gorgeous meadow, blooming with wildflower if you are up there during the right time of year. The trail passes the turn off the Black Tusk, another amazing hike, but slightly harder and features a scramble up the chimney of the tusk. Before dropping down into Helm flats, there is a 3 way junction and the Panorama Ridge trail goes up to the right, making its way up the ridge to the summit. Bring lots of snacks, water, emergency flashlight in case it takes you longer than expected, and something to take photos with for sure!

Not exactly the best birding trail (almost no birds in 12 hours) but one serious experience. The route claims 18 miles but if you make it around the lake and all the way up the mountain it was closer to 25 for us. We did the entire trek (there and back) in about 12 hours and I will recommend heavily you bring trekking poles or a stick for the end and the mountain. It's very beautiful and probably better enjoyed over 2 days. I'd say you will get many more worthwhile landscape shots than animals so no need for the 10lb birding lens like I brought. It's a very challenging hike in total distance and total vertical climb so make sure you're prepared. There is about a mile climb on ice and loose rock up the ridge so be careful and dress appropriately. You should definitely be able to do over 15 miles in one trek easily if you even want to attempt this in one day. The total vertical climb registered for my tracker over the entire trip was around 6500ft.

AMAZING hike with spectacular views! 30 km in 9 hours with lots of picture breaks. The view from up top is breathtaking but even on the way up there's so much to look at, just beautiful. Can easily be done in a day if you are in decent shape, it was easy for me with a bit of scrambling at the end but that's it. Some horseflies but nothing too crazy. Bring a big plastic bag to slide down the glacier at the end, so much fun. A little busy on the weekend but I guess that's every hike now sadly.

Wow!! Randonnée exceptionnelle, vue incroyable sur le lac Garibaldi!!! Un incontournable dans le secteur :)