Panorama Ridge

Panorama Ridge is a 28.3 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Squamish-Lillooet, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until October.

28.3 km
1,541 m

On Sept 23, with a group of amateur hikers: #Climb4Karam, we hiked the trail, starting 4:30 am, we were done around 5 pm.
My first ever such a hike, it was a great life experience .
I personally did not make it all the way to the peak, about half an hour shy.. Icy conditions at the peak, fresh snow on the ground.
We were met by a bear.
Excellent experience ..

Hiked yesterday, it’s late September so we arrived parking lot in complete dark. But it’s one of the best scenes ever seen since I start to hike. The first 6.5 km is long and painful especially in the night time. Personally recommend for hiking in longer daytimes if you are planing to do it in one day. In the peak it’s pretty windy, bring lots of food and water and finish lunch before heading to the last 3 km.

Sept.2,2018. Started hike around 11am. Arrived back in parking lot around 9pm. Took us about 6hrs before we got up at the ridge but the view is soooo rewarding! Bring lots of food and water. Trail isn’t hard, it is well maintained but it is a long hike.

very difficult but unforgettably scenic.

Awesome hike! It should definitely be rated as Very Difficult. The first 6kms are endless, you just keep going up. Then, a couple more to get to a flatter portion of the trail to prepare for the super steep last climb to Panorama Ridge. Totally worth it, but it’s a tough one, make sure you are in a good physical condition!

Did this one yesterday as a day hike. Not only is it a great workout, but the views at the end are some of the best I have ever seen.

I live in Abbotsford, so we left at 6:15 am and were hiking by 8:30. Took us 4.5 hours up, and 4 hours down, plus 1 hour at the top for a total of 9.5 hours (without driving). So, definitely doable for a dayhike, but be sure to leave early to give yourself lots of time!

It was perfect hiking weather, but be sure to bring extra layers as it was quite windy at the top (a good rain jacket should keep out the wind). Saw lots of people wearing nothing but shorts and a t-shirt, and I bet they didn't get to enjoy the views for very long!

The last 6 km going back down was rather tedious, with a seemingly endless number of switchbacks and lots of dust, but this doesn't detract from the awesomeness of the rest of the hike. Also, we were shocked at how busy the parking lot was, so this is another reason to start early!

Beautiful views, even on a partly/mostly cloud day. Day hiked it from the parking lot, started at 9am got back to the car around 7:30pm, with a bit of lollygagging at the views along the way. Switchbacks up are tough but worth the views. Very dusty trail this time of year but no bugs.

unreal views at the top. we did the trek in 2 days but more experienced hikers can do it in one. the last half mile around the scree was brutal but well worth it

Hard trail but the view is amazing!

Hiked on 8/11 despite the fog and chance of rain. We traveled from California and couldn’t reschedule our trip, so decided to go for it and expected no views. The trail itself is very well maintained and well marked with great signs! Scenery was beautiful despite the overcast weather. Terrain is varied so no chance of boredom. We decided to do a loop from the parking lot up through Taylor Meadows, up to Panorama Ridge, then down to Lake Garibaldi and back to the switchbacks (since we couldn’t see the lake from the ridge). This was about 30km/20 miles. The climb was steady and not too difficult, and the rock scramble to the summit was exhilarating. Bummer the summit was socked in by fog but still felt accomplished by making it to the top!! We stopped many times for breaks, photos, and lunch so it took us 10 hours. I would definitely do it again if I return to Canada.

Incredible hike, we stayed at Garabaldi lake campground so we hiked the nine kilometres prior to the ridge hike. The ridge hike itself from the campground was 7km one way and it was rewarded with incredible views. the majority of the hike is pretty straight forward but the last part of the hike is a steep scramble. 100% worth it !!

I went for sunset and it was amazing. It took 3:25 from the rubble creek parking lot.
My only problem was that my bug spray only worked for the mosquitoes and not for the massive biting flies that were everywhere.

The trail up to panorama ridge only has 2 small snow patches which can be traversed through in hiking shoes. There are also 2 small muddy patches along the way. No special equipment needed to get to summit.

Hiking sticks will help with stability as the final couple of hundred of meters are a little steeper. Went through taylor meadows to the ridge from rubble creek parking lot.

Amazing trail! An unforgettable experience.

An absolut must if you are in the area. You can just camp in the lake to make it easier and take a couple of miles out of your trail.

The first 4-6km of the hike are the hardest (steepest and many switch backs). But once you are out of the forest, and reach Taylor Meadows, it becomes flatter the rest of the way and the scenic views are unreal from there and only get better. We hiked from Rubble Creek parking lot (started at 8am) all the way over the mountain ridge to the top of Panorama Ridge where you get a stunning 360 degrees view of all: Black Tusk and the mountains and Garibaldi lake. If you want to hike the Black Tusk as well, I would suggest camping and saving it for another day as we didn’t have time to do both. But the entire way up to Panorama Ridge, you are able to see the Black Tusk and it’s stunning from afar so I would personally choose the Panorama Ridge over Tusk if you attempting this hike in a day. We stopped (many times) once for lunch at the top and other times to take pictures and arrived back at the parking lot at 5:30pm. Try and do this on a sunny day, otherwise clouds or fog can restrict you from seeing anything, which it did to us the first time we did this hike and we couldn’t see a thing. Did the whole thing in 9.5 hours.

wow. just WOW. the viewpoint is amazing and worth every last switchback, scramble, and mosquito bite. the first 8km switchbacks are pretty brutal with a pack on, but from Taylor Meadows it was a piece of cake. we also slid down the snow patches on our butts for the descent. super fun sledding down!

bring bug spray! seriously, they're ruthless little blood suckers until you are on the ascent of the ridge.

if you're debating between black tusk or panorama, I think panorama is the way to go.

We did the hike yesterday. it was amazing. Still snow on the top, but nothing terrible. Dont forget plastic garbage bags ;) the slide down was wonderful experience (even we had no bags) ;) and it was faster.

My wife and I did the hike yesterday. it's was Amazing and very rewarding. Yes it was a hard and long hike. Would do it again but this time in 2 days. 10.25 hours and stayed 45 min at the top.

Did this hike on Saturday 29 June. It was an amazing hike, did it in 11 hours. The 7km of switchbacks are cruel!
There is still around 2 feet of snow past 1700 metres, we didn't have crampons or snow shoes but had gaiters and waterproof boots which were fine.

i will be hiking this trial Friday July 27th. full route in one day. if you are interested in hiking with me give me a shout - thulak@outlook.com

Everything its built up to be. One of the best hikes in BC. Bring a camera and wind and rain gear it can sock in fast and get wet and cold even in August. very busy go in the fall.

Beautiful hike and amazing views. Diverse hike covering meadow area (albeit snow covered), valley views, mountain views, and of course the blue Garibaldi Lake. Definitely didn't disappoint. Did this from Garibaldi Lake campground and took just over 3 hours to get to the top with a full pack! Started at 9am, got to the top noonish. Only a few other people were up there with me. Trail is full of snow 15 minutes after you leave Garibaldi Lake. Did it in boots/wool socks. Definitely doable without snowshoes, just be warned that your feet will probably get wet. Had an offline guide with me just in case I got lost, but was able to follow old footprints in the snow as well as junction markers. Shaved a bunch of time off the descent by sliding down from the top! So fun! Best to start before noon as the sun melts down the snow and makes it softer and therefore harder to hike on.

As of 06/17- The trail is still covered in deep snow but the view of the lake and surrounding mountains is worth the extra effort.

BRING WINTER BOOTS AND WOOL SOCKS. Snowshoes and/or micro-spikes are definitely recommended as well.

Most diverse and scenic trail I’ve ever been on. Camping and taking it in for a few days while exploring black Tusk aswell!

The view at the end is worth the effort to get there!

One of my all time favorites. It is fun to camp at garibaldi lake and then finish panorama ridge in the morning. Allows for more energy to play on the glacier and enjoy the views. In the summer lots of people swim in the lake which is always a highlight. I have also been up here on snowshoes however it was quite difficult to reach due to the absent trails and poor snow quality.

I saw on 10hikes(https://10hikes.com/canada/whistler-hikes/panorama-ridge/) that you can slide down the glacier, but I haven't been able to find more advice on this. Any tips?