Needle Peak Trail

Needle Peak Trail is a 8.7 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

8.7 km
1012 m

Went up Sept 22, just a bit of snow at the top. Dogs can go most way but not to the actual "needle point" at the very end. Snow makes the last climb to the top a bit sketchy. Wear gloves as not to cut your hands while scrambling up the rocks. Follow the orange markers. Great leg workout!

Good trail with most of the elevation gained in the first hour. Then, a glades ridge walk. Flatiron Peak and lake off to the right at the end of the ridge are worthwhile. Needle Peak is a scramble - only for the athletic immune to vertigo. Needle Peak is blocky rock and easier than it looks; but stay in the centre. No water on trail.

Amazing trail. Summit has some easy class three scrambling and the views go on forever!

Getting up across the boulders required care, but otherwise a good climb to a place with a spectacular view of flatiron, the forest, and the fold of the rockies

I hike, scramble and overnight this region in the spring through fall months and it never ceases to amaze me - so much to offer from elevation, to views to terrain variance - topped of with an amazing experience at the top.what are you scrambled the peak itself, or extend your hike to the lake or even higher to flat iron Bridge, this is by far my go to quick and easy weekly hike for overnight camping. No where else have I can't in a position where I have the benefit of a full on sunrise in the morning and a full on sunset in the evening. 360 degrees of natures perfection at and slightly above the treeline. Thankfully, this area is still somewhat of a hidden gem, and as such not overrun with inconsiderate and often messy tourist types!

Got to the trailhead around noon. Easy but absolutely gorgeous hike to the end of the marked trail. Beautiful spot there to have a bite to eat before the scramble to the summit. At the first rock climb, stay more to the center, we went right and got into big trouble. the dogs were too stressed after that ordeal so my husband stayed down with them while I went up. after the first scramble there is a flat area with a beautiful pond. Just stunning scenery everywhere. Views are amazing as they normally are at 2000 meters. then the final scramble to the top, wow what a climb! I've been in a few decent scrambles in the Rockies and this one was pretty crazy. had there not been another girl on her way up that knew the way, I don't think I would have chanced it on my own as you easily could get yourself in big trouble without a way to get down. anyway, even with her as a guide, I found it very challenging. A few scrapes and cuts just from trying to get through certain parts, no mishaps or accidents. I had brand new hikers with excellent grip, gloves would have been helpful. Very windy at the top and cool. take a light jacket even if the weather is nice. I will definitely be coming back, however will likely not go to the summit again. apparently if you go right at the end of the marked trail, it takes you to a little lake. probably just beautiful and great for dogs. Most of the peoole on the trail ( and there were a lot) did not go to the summit. Do not attempt to take dogs to the summit of this hike. mine are like goats and could not do it, the boulders are too large and smooth with nothing to grip or step on making it impossible for them to find a safe route

Just gorgeous, wouldn't call it easy though..

Not an easy snowshoe trail but well worth the views. is line to do it again in the summer to compare :)

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Hiked again July 18, 2016. Gorgeous day, clear skies with a few clouds, sunshine! Hardly even windy at the top, we stay up there for an hour and even played cards! 2.5 hours up. 2 hours down. Loved it!

Thursday, July 07, 2016

July 1, 2016 - Perfect Canada Day! This hike was incredible! Loved it and will definitely do it again! Took 1.5 hours of driving from Abbotsford. The hike starts in the trees for about 45 minutes. We started out with cloudy weather. You will hit a steep incline about 10 minutes in. Switch backs for a bit and then it's just steep. Poles were quite helpful both up and down for this section. After about 45 minutes, you will be out of the denser trees and will get a bit of a look out / view. The steep section is done! Continue on the trail, more out in the open now but still trees and brush around. After awhile your path will turn into snow... Maybe depending on how warm the spring was, we followed the snow path a ways - again, poles were helpful. I would guess that this section takes 30 - 45 minutes. You reach the section where you can choose to go to the lake - more to the right - or to the peak - left. Some people had camped overnight in this area, might be more sheltered from the wind, but the snow was kicking off some chill. The trail is marked well up until this point. As we began our ascent up towards the gorgeous peak with incredible views all around us we noticed there weren't really any markers anymore. It was still easy to follow the path to the first and toughest scramble section. Packed our poles into our back packs for the remainder of the hike. We found it difficult to find the correct path at this point. Do not go to the far right side of the mountain. It may appear to be a path and a good option, but it's not! It will get sketch and steep. Go up the middle. Climb over boulders and pick your path, but stick to the middle as you climb. The boulders are not smooth, they are rough which gives you good grip, but also sharp which was hard on the hands and bare legs. Next time I will wear pants rather then capris. There will also be a tough section where have to wedge yourself in between these steep rock sections and kinda shimmy up. Don't think too much just go for it. The momentum helps, trust me. On the bright side, it's actually much easier going down! There was a group going up about the same time as us and their dog had a pretty tough time getting up and a very difficult time getting down this section!! I would not recommend taking a dog. In the end, a couple of them had to stay back just short of the summit with the dog. Once you pass this scramble section, breath easier and enjoy the incredible scenery as you make your way on to the peak. Huge boulders form a couple cave like shelters, there is a little pond. We added our layers at this point as it was getting windy and would recommend this, it's windy and chilly at the top. Then you arrive at the final ascent. Do not go to the left. Stick to the middle-right side and start climbing! It's pretty fun, working to get up and around those boulders. I am not quite 5"4 so I would imagine steep sections may not be as daunting for a taller person. Pull yourself up over the last rock and you have reached the summit! We were fortunate to have decent weather, the clouds lifted a bit, we could see all the spectacular mountains and the sun even came out for a bit!! The wind and temperature were not bad but it can get crazy windy so bring layers! We sat up at the top and just soaked it all in! Incredible, beautiful 360 views of Gods gorgeous creation! I did not want to go back down, just loved it!! Took us 2 hours and 45 minutes going up. We went at a good pace, but we also took short breaks to enjoy the views along the way. Heading down the scrambles were easier then going up, but still took cautious steps. I didn't realize how steep the section in the trees was until we were descending - poles were helpful. 2 hours down, we soaked our feet in the little creek at the trail head before heading home. What a gorgeous day!!

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

October 18, 2015. 3hrs to summit. A few tricky sections. Was cloudy at the top... well, above the clouds

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Great hike with a beautiful view! Has nice traversing along the ridges with a panorama view of the mountains around, the peak was a bit hard to find the trail to get up it, but after some scrambling the summit was worth the effort!

Monday, August 31, 2015

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Gorgeous hike! Snowshoed this and lived it though we did not get as far as we were hoping in our day trip. Beautiful, rewarding and highly recommend but go well prepared!