Mount Seymour Trail

Mount Seymour Trail is a 8.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

8.2 km
577 m

skiing

On a clear day this 8 km round trip trail offers hikers stunning views of the lower mainland and the surrounding mountains. The trail traverses three peaks ending at Mount Seymour Summit which offers a spectacular panoramic view of the area. This is a great day hike for those looking for something well marked but less touristy than the Grouse Grind or Lynn Canyon Park. The trail starts at the Mount Seymour Ski area at the last parking lot from the entrance. Keep driving to the end where there is a map at the trail head. During the summer parking is $3 that can be paid with a credit card or change. At the trail head make sure to read the notices for the conditions off the trails because parts of the trail can remain snow covered into August. From the trail head you will see a number of signs to the various trails. The best path to start the hike forks left off the main road. The trail steady inclines to Brockton point revealing the first of many spectacular views of Vancouver. The path continues upward steadily until the trail forks to Elsay Lake, make sure to follow the trail left as the Elsay Lake trail is much more challenging. Here the path winds through the rocks to First Pump Peak and is well marked, just make sure to look for the orange markers at each turn. Many decide to turn back after first peak but those who continue to Mount Seymour peak get a much better view of the mountains to the north. Second pump peak is clearly visible from the first peak and the trail is easy to navigate. The trail between the second peak and Mount Seymour Peak is the most difficult part of the hike as the trail cuts down northwest side of second peak. If covered in snow in snow or ice it may not be possible to pass without proper equipment. After scrambling up the southwest side of the third peak hikers are rewarded with a spectacular view of the area. Taking some time to absorb the view then follow the same trail back to the parking lot.

Awesome trail! We planed on hiking all 3 peaks today but we misjudged the weather and we ended up hiking in 35 Celsius and by the second peak we ran out of water so we needed to turn around. Bugs and mosquitoes are not so bad now compared with 2 weeks ago. Quite doable and don't linger around any body of water or they will get you. So please remember to have lots of water and sun screen since you will be in the open for quite a bit. Up to the first peak not so hard but heading up to the second, quite a bit of a scramble, use all your 4's in places. So much fun and absolutely amazing views.
I don't know how, but we ended up on the far side of the first Peak too, lots of snow there still.

A technical hike which requires a good level of experience to navigate especially during some of the rocky descents!

Views are fantastic at several points across the hike especially up top!

Would be a lot more challenging in the snowmelt periods of April-June

What a beautiful trail and the views are amazing. Definitely one of the best hikes we've been on. We will be doing this one again numerous times.
The last climb up to number 2 peak is a hard push after hiking into it. But well worth the push.
Highly recommend this hike.

Loved it.

Mount Seymour hike was a great but technical hike. Make sure you take comfortable shoes that don’t slip your feet will ache by the end of the hike. Take bug spray. They were everywhere. Great views through out the entire hike. The last peak is worth every drop of sweat.

Did all 3 main peaks + Mystery Peak today. Trail was fairly well marked, though I did accidentally stray from it a couple times - it was never hard to get back on track. There was a bit of snow in a few shaded spots, but it was never an issue - though if you did it in runners they might get wet.

Bugs weren't nearly as bad as I feared. There was basically one horsefly with me for the entire trip out and back, but he became more like a travelling companion than anything. There were no swarms or masses of bugs like others have experienced, though I used basic DEET bug repellant.

Regardless, the trail was in pretty good condition. The scrambles at the end for the Seymour summit were moderate, and I had to rest for a minute a few times, but it wasn't too terrible for a somewhat out-of-shape 35 year old. Was about 6 hours out and back, including all detours and stops. 8.7 miles according to my watch.

Very challenging rrail, half of it not well marked. Bring lots of water and food! Beautiful place!

A moderate hike but the amount of bugs and the fact that there is still snow on the trail made it more challenging. We turned around after the first peak due to the unbearable bugs. If you go, I recommend to wear a bug net and long sleeve top and pants.

According to comments from last month, this trail seemed to be great, family doable and fast enough to do it on the afternoon. I’m sure the view really worth it and a few weeks ago we would rate it 5 stars.
But unfortunately, it appeared that this was not the good period to do it since more and more bugs were flying around us and the snow was melting. The path was sometimes so slippy that it could be dangerous, and 400m before arriving to the first peak, people comming back told us the bugs and the slippy path were getting worse. There was so much flies attacking us and we had no snowshoes so we decided to give up before the awesome views... it’s too bad because the trail is so beautiful !
So if you plan to do it in july, better come well prepared for melting snow and maybe begin on the morning so the flies won’t be such a lot !

This trail is great when there is no snow! Quite easy yet fun. Maybe takes like 2 hours. There is a loop that takes you to Mystery Lake.
It is Mid May now and there is still quite a bit of snow- so it is hard to hike here. However if u drive down a bit, on the way back you will see a lot of little trails that are amazing- almost no snow there :) enjoy!
4 most recent photos of roots that I posted are from the trail further down

Went up today April 22 in crampons. Not busy at all, surprisingly for a beautiful Sunday afternoon. We had the peaks all to ourselves, saw a dozen people earlier in the trail and a couple people during the later parts of the trail. Gorgeous views, good workout but not super challenging, and very fun and safe slideable parts where I used a durable jacket as a sled.

Decent trail with good views but too crowded plus teens blasting music.. probably not going to go back.

If you are going on a sunny day or on a weekend plan to get there early. The hike is a steady climb with some ups and downs. There are definitely some challenging spots but overall I think it’s doable by most people if they’re determined. Views from the top are worth every drop of sweat!

Great hike, 360 views. I took around 5 hrs at a gentle pace with lots of photo stops and a break for lunch. Mt Seymour summit probably a bit far for beginners. Bring poles if you have them. Enjoy!

One of a very beautiful Trai in north Vancouver, bc

Great trail and we did all three peaks. The views on the first two were awesome but it was too cloudy by the time we got to the third. Took the dog and he was fine with it and saw a black bear on the the at down.

I am not a super experienced hiker but I do get out on smaller hikes frequently... I definitely struggled up this one... Much more difficult than anticipated. Beginning couple km is uneven and steep, with loose rock as well..the top km is the most difficult, large steps up on uneven rocks and its a tough scramble to climb it. The views and scenery along the way are beautiful and the peak is breath taking. Made it all worth it.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Excellent! Views were amazing!

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Bring a mosquitoes repellent with ya. It's not that bad that anymore but still if you have hate mosquitoes

Trail wasn't busy either. I was just by myself up there at peak 3, I enjoyed view but not mosquitoes wen they were at me all of the time.

Last part bit challenging. Trail is well marked so you can't get lost just saying

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Nice trail. Quite challenging in the last 1 km. Still a lot of snow. Mosquito, mosquito and more mosquito. Because the smoke we can't see a nice view.

Friday, August 04, 2017

packed with flies and covered with snow in July! this was a very challenging hike as the snow was super slippery! i made it to the 1rst peak but my hiking partner left met here whilst he did the 2nd and 3rd. he said that the route from the 2nd to 3rd peak was dangerous in the snow and he went another way- this was also dangerous climbing up a rock face.. going down was a nightmare, as i fell on my butt every few steps. i was very sunburnt by the end from the reflection of snow! pack sunscreen, friends!

Monday, July 17, 2017

I couldn't make it to the peak as it was very slippery.
The views from the first and second peak are amazing. There's no reason to risk going to the peak as there's still a lot of snow.
Crampons can be very useful.
Also, as mentioned before, a lot of bugs all around. It can be very annoying.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

The views on this trail were absolutely amazing! Really fun hike! It was quite challenging, especially near the top.... we couldn't do the last 10ft to the peak because it was too steep and the snow made it too slippery, but the view was great after about the first 30 minutes all the way to where we ended. There was a lot of snow the whole way up and so many flies! Despite all this, I would highly recommend!

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Unexpected full covered snow on the whole trail! We able to manage it with spikes and piles though. Stunning view start right after an hour hike up! 360 degree view up at the 1st peak ! It makes everything worth it! It took both of my hubby 4hours return with lunch break at the top. Definitely will go back again in the summer!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Easy hike with a great view!

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Jan 1, 2015 - hiked this New Year's Day almost a year ago. It was spectacular! A bit of work as there is some incline, but totally worth it and really not very long. I would say it's a step up from dog mountain? Awesome views and great place to explore!