Learn more

Mount MacFarlane is a 10.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fraser Valley B, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.1 miles Elevation Gain: 5,898 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Camped at the upper lake May 29. Snow started just before Pierce Lake which was still covered with ice, although the edges did have some open water. The conditions to get to the upper lake were pretty sketchy - very steep with wet snow, so spikes and poles were necessary. Even with these I would not attempt getting to the upper lake in these conditions unless you are an experienced hiker. Took us 7 hours to get up with overnight packs and being very careful on the upper section. 4 hours down in the rain. Beautiful view and had the lake to ourselves for the night!

We did this as an overnight hike and camped at the upper lake. Views are amazing! The lake is beautiful! The first half up to Pierce lake has you meandering through the forest up steep inclines and the second half takes you through some very beautiful spots! It was very difficult for me but very worth it!

Amazing hike with 2 gorgeous lakes and epic panoramic summit views. Steep grind with lots of elevation gain and switchbacks before you reach lower Pierce Lake. Challenges the lungs and the legs on the way up and the knees on the way down. I did this trail last year for the first time and said I wasn't sure if I'd do it again just based on the grade... But the views and easy trailhead access drew me back! Easier the second time around knowing what to expect. Around 3.5-4hrs up and 2.5hrs down going at a good clip. Took a couple breaks to enjoy the scenery, swim in the lakes, and a longer stop at the summit for lunch and lots of photos. 8 hour trip in total.

Camped at Upper Pierce Lake for the night. There are a few well used campsites along the lake edge along side 1/2 of a old tend pad. There are a few smaller mountains that can be explored from upper lake besides Mount MacFarlane. The lake was a clear blue and ice cold and there were very few bugs around except in the evening. The sun sets behind MacFarlane providing a beautiful sky while sunrise is more hidden. Saw around 30 people the entire day mostly day hikers. There is limited parking at the bottom. The trail is clearly marked and there is clear maintenance done including some man made bridges. The trail starts off steep then flattens out approaching the first lake and has a final incline approaching the upper lake. I gave this trail 3/5 as the first 6km 75% of the entire trail is in the trees with no view and seems to continue forever. It took 3.5 hours to complete each way to the upper lake. The end location is stunning but the journey is not entirely enjoyable.

Tough climb to lower Pierce Lake. We started at 930 am on Saturday and the parking lot was full. No break ins to vehicles that we could see. We were sure to remove any items from the car and left the glove compartment and center console open showing this. Heading up we only came across two ppl coming down. The trail was well marked and plenty of areas to fill up with water if needed. It took us approx. 4 hours to the first lake and decided to stop there. Well worth the climb. Stunning crystal clear, bluish lake to cool off in and beautiful 360 views. The download back was a bit tough on the knees, definately recommend poles for this one. Coming down we came across a few groups that we're heading to the first lake to camp out for the night.

Conditions were great for this overnight hike. Camped at the second lake then hiked to the peak. This was my first overnight and was happy with the outcome. The trail markers were pretty well placed but we added a few in areas that weren’t that clear. Bugs were minimal at the second lake which made for great camping conditions. The water was brisk but good for a morning swim.

it was just as hard down as it was up! most epic views though. would do again but after my legs recover!

I tried to summit Mt MacFarlane on August 12th but it was too cloudy so we stopped at Upper Pierce lake. This trail is for more experienced hikers because it is long, mixed with steep inclines, roots, and rocks. We took a leisure pace going up which took roughly 5 hours going up, then went down in 3.5 hours in the dark. It would have been better if we went on a clearer day but overall it was worth it because we caught an amazing sunset. When I returned to my car at midnight my car was broken into and belongings stolen. I highly advise you not to leave your car overnight or once the sun sets. There is a regular thief here and there is lots of broken glass around the parking lot to prove it. I tested my luck by going on a weekday but the thief still seems to strike even on weekdays.

Trail clearly marked, i went with my two kids 12 & 14 and wife. We got a late start so only made it to the first lake which was simply amazing. I highly recommend bug spray there were more flies than a cattle ranch!

I highly recommend this hike! We did it as an overnight one and camped at the first lake, but enough space is at the second lake as well. Definitely will do there one more time. The trail wasn't traffic even though we did through a long weekend. It may be challenging for beginners, especially carry all overnight stuff. Lookouts are fantastic and swimming in the lakes too. Do this hike in the middle of the season, but else lakes are covered by snow.

Leave yourself time. It's a grind but worth it!

AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING!

Really gorgeous trail. Wished I would’ve camped at the lake the views were amazing. Very steep and quite slippery/muddy in some spots coming down so be careful!

Definitely a grind to the top if you are camping. It took us 4 hours to the second lake and 3 hours down from there. The hike to the top of Mount Macfarlane is probably another 45 minutes up. My car and 4 others got broken into overnight... I would not recommend leaving your car here overnight as it is not protected at all.

my favourite overnight hike to date. 9.9 stars, it's really only missing a glacier to reach heavenly status. take lots of fuel, big gains, would recommend a pack no heavier than 25lbs. plenty of fresh water along the way. camp at the second lake and take it all in. few mosquitoes at night but not too bad. enjoy and go prepared.

Sat Jun 29 2019

Challenging hike with lots of steep sections. The views at the top are amazing though the second lake is still covered by snow. Would recommend to follow the trail on a map because it's easy to lose it.

Mon Jun 03 2019

Ice axe and crampons still necessary to get to the upper lake or summit as of June 2nd.

Sun Jun 02 2019

Mushy snow from just above the lower lake to the summit. The trail is partially buried - stay left of the waterfalls in the basin above the lake. Definitely bring an ice ax! A long hike with excellent views of Slesse from the top.

Fri Apr 19 2019

My favorite. It's definitely steep all the way, but the trail is nice. Between two gorgeous (cold) lakes, a neat waterfall, rockfields, a summit scramble, and a section that I can only descripe as being similar to a real life fairy garden! Definitely do this hike! Even better, stay a night or two! Possibly consider having a friend drop/pick you up, as the only downfall is the potential of your vehicle getting broken into.

Thu Oct 25 2018

Yup, it's hard. Like another reviewer said, the climb is relentless. There is some climbing over rocks in spots and the trail can be a bit tricky to locate when you're going up. But the views from the top make it all worthwhile. I reached Pierce Lake in 2.5 hours (it's at 6 km). For a really beautiful view of that lake, continue just beyond it. The forest clears and it's picture worthy. I reached the upper lake in 3.5 hours (it's at 8.1 km). The summit is roughly 40 minutes from here but unfortunately, I couldn't go all the way up, as I ran out of time and water. But I don't feel like I got gyped - the views are absolutely breathtaking from here!! On the way down, I had refill my water bottle. There's a clear, fast-moving stream about 3.5 km in from the trailhead. Good to know if anyone else finds themselves in that situation. All total, my GPS said it was 16.7 km round trip in less than 5 hours (not including stops). This is a challenging hike, for sure, but I would do it again.

Mon Oct 22 2018

amazing hike, amazing, views very steep and hard hike bit worth seeing upper pirce lake and scrambling up to macfarlene