Mount MacFarlane

Mount MacFarlane is a 16.7 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

16.7 km
2016 m

Hard but worth it.

Awesome trail. The lower lake is beautiful and the water is perfect to swim!
The upper lake is even more amazing but the water is freezing!!
Then the peak was outstanding! Absolutely worth the 45min climb from the upper lake.

We were stung by a couple of wasps but they don't hurt that much. Most of them were between the two lakes with 2-3 nests along the way.
I highly recommend trekking poles if you're camping an are bringing a heavy pack as the steep trail will kill your legs on the way up and crush your knees on the way down.
There are plenty of blueberries near the top, especially on the way to the peak.
If you hear whistling near the top (high pitch single whistle), it's most likely marmots.

Going down is super fast. I think it took us about 2-2.5h from the upper lake.

August 13-14, 2017 - after doing this one as a day hike last year I knew I wanted to come back for an overnighter! However, I've been lacking in the hikes this summer and my body sure felt the brunt of that fact. Tough hike with 30 pounds on your back. Took us 4 hours to get to Lower Pierce Lake. Quite the incline. Camping at the lake was great, we were the only ones there! Reminder to pack out your own garbage. :) The next morning we continued on. Reached Upper Pierce Lake in 1 hour and 10 minutes. This stretch is so much more enjoyable! Watch out for bees/wasps in the meadow areas though; I got stung twice. The upper lake is incredible, especially when viewed from above as you make your way up to the summit of Mount MacFarlane. We didn't summit this time as on our way up we started hearing repeated whistling. It didn't stop and as we had seen 2 people below earlier we got concerned that there was trouble. We headed back down to the upper lake... they were whistling for their dogs. :/ Reminder to only use whistles for emergencies!! This is the second time this has happened to us and it is rather frustrating. The hike down was pretty hard on my knees but still worth it! Definitely a hike to add to your list, but make sure you come prepared for a good workout! See my 2016 review for more details. :)

It was breathtaking! I camped overnight and remember wishing I could have stayed another two nights to do the other nearby peaks. This one was my first time camping out on a hike and it was so great. Nice view of the Cheam range as well!

Monday, September 05, 2016

Thursday, August 04, 2016

July 25, 2016 When driving in; turn onto Chilliwack Lake Road, drive about 20 km and turn right into a parking lot for Pierce lake. Right before the bridge over Pierce Creek. Keep an eye out for it, easily missed. 25km, you've gone too far. Any car can make it as the parking lot is right off the main road. Incredible views, but it was a tough 4 1/2 hours up and about four hours down going at a steady pace. Starts in the trees with switchbacks, steep incline, opens up to some variety of rocks to climb over and creeks to cross. Great variety. Took us about 2 1/2 hours to get to lower Pierce lake. We didn't actually stop at the lake on the way up, but continued on the trail opening up into meadows with wild flowers in bloom! We climbed over more rocks from landslides and more steep inclines as we made our way up to the left side of a waterfall. At the top we crossed over the creek and found ourselves at the base of upper Pierce lake. We didn't stick around as the summit was beckoning and so as we carried on up yet another steep incline we got to enjoy some fun scramble sections. Nothing too hard. We arrived at the summit in all it's glory two hours from Lower Pierce lake. We had the perfect weather! Tank top and shorts. I'm sure it can normally be quite chilly though so bring layers. Sunshine, blue skies scattered with a few fluffy white clouds to mix things up a bit. The 360 views were fantastic as we took in golden ears, Cheam, Lady Peak, Slesse and so many more! Incredible hike! Totally worth the tough incline and doable in one long day. Though the idea of camping overnight is wonderful! (Minus the incline with a heavy pack.) Spent at least an hour up there, no one else at the summit. :) Heading back down we stopped to fill up our water bottles at the creek/waterfall running out of Upper Pierce lake… I treated my water just in case… Took almost as long going down as it's quite steep and you have to watch your step. Stopped at Lower Pierce lake for a dip in the chilly lake, so refreshing!! Enjoy!!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

This is a very difficult hike, especially if you're doing it all in one day. It took my friends and I about 12 hours to do.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

August 03, 2015. Steep hike up to Lower Pierce Lake. Not as bad after that but gets steep again as you get up towards Upper Pierce. Had a great swim in the lake, then headed up to the summit. Had lunch at the top then another swim at Upper Pierce on the way down. 4.5 hrs up/2.5 down

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

It was an amazing hike. Pretty steep the first kilometre but that's just helping you get used to the rest of the trail. There's a lot of switch backs but that's the best part.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014