Mount Harvey is a 10.6 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lions Bay, British Columbia, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from July until October.

Distance: 10.6 km Elevation Gain: 1,402 m Route Type: Out & Back

icy

Ploughed through this bad boy in the middle of May (5/22/20). Snow was at the 2/3 mark. Took 8 hours total (in and out). I was in shorts and a tshirt and kept warm the whole time unless we stopped for more than 15 min. It was dangerous and difficult at times, however, if there was no snow it wouldn’t be that bad. Very steep at times. The views at the top are worth the trek. Bring lots of water and a decent amount of food.

Completed september 3 2018. Great slog for an amazing view. Only 1 or 2 groups on the trail but very busy parking lot that shares with the Lions Trail.

icy

Hiked on 03/15/20. Started earlyish around 7am. There were only 4-5 cars in the upper parking lot. First half of the trail is snow free. When the snow starts, it’s icy until you get to the ridge line because it’s the north-east facing side and tree covered. From the ridgeline, you’ll probably get the sun if it’s a clear day and it gets warm from here. Snowshoes would be nice till the base of Mt Harvey, just be close to the trees as there are big cornices on both sides and enjoy the views. It was windy when we got to the base of the mountain, but we decided to give it a shot anyway and made it to the top! Views were breathtaking! Didn’t spend much time on top as it was really windy. Snow was soft so it was tricky at a few spots, but nothing too scary. It’s steep, so could be dangerous if the conditions are not right. We used microspikes and ice axe. Full crampons would be nice if you wanna do it early morning for more stability.

icy

Did this hike on a beautiful sunny november day - I was in a tee shirt for most of the ascent. Follows the wide West Lion trail up switchbacks and then maybe a 1.5km traverse to the base. Straight up from there on a very steep but pleasant trail through beautiful woods, with a waterfall near the start and a nice viewpoint at halfway. More great views to the Lions from the saddle below the summit. Not a super interesting summit, but great views in all directions, particularly nice vantage of the back of the lions, the bowl below, howe sound and brunswick. Managed the climb in about an hour, spent 15-20 mins on the summit and was back at the car in under 3 hours. This was brisk hiking / jogging on the way up and bombing most of the way down. The trail, though steep, is soft and pleasant in both directions. Compared with Brunswick, which I did the following weekend, this was significantly less strenuous (more so than the elevation gain and profile might suggest). Great bang for your buck!

Went on a half sunny holiday Monday. Barely anyone around. We took the right at the fork and went the long way around, doing the lions route instead. After some bushwhacking and steady incline we began the scramble up Harvey. Great view of the lions along the way and nice to chill up top of Harvey. For the ascent, we took the regular way down and were happy that we didn’t have to take that way up. It was so so steep, so make sure to bring poles and have fun. Took us 9 hours at a slower pace.

Trail was very well marked, especially the first 3/4 of it. At the top markers became more sparse, but the trail was more or less apparent. It was very steep! Going up was difficult but doable, and coming down was tough due to the steep slippery nature of the trail (it had rained the day before we went). Would recommend poles and proper footwear. AMAZING views at the top! It was slightly overcast when we were there but still absolutely stunning. Would recommend for those looking for a challenge :) overall such a wonderful experience!

Solid 2.5 hour hike up to catch the sunset. As mentioned in the description, it's lightly trafficked.

Got to the top real quick. Steep all the way to the ridge. Met a Big black bear hanging out at the ridge, didn’t care about me at all really friendly. Views are fantastic.

Amazing hike although very challenging! I went up the Mount Brunswick track and turned left before the last portion of the climb to go down the Brunswick lake. Had lunch and a nice swim there! Beware that the last few hundred meters of elevation before the intersection are extremely steep, expect slow pace there. After lunch I went back up the intersection and all the way to Mount Harvey. The climb to Mount Harvey from the east side is for confirmed clilmbers only! It is mostly rock climbing, and a loose grip will have you land 100m below on solid rock. The path is also very easy to lose even though some pink rubans are visible on some branches. Even if you're not on the path, keep going up and you will eventually be rewarded by a magnificent view at the summit. The descent back to the parking is somewhat challenging too as some long portions are extremely steep and will badly hurt your knees. You should count 2h30 from top of Mount Harvey to the car park.

Trail steep but in good condition. Well marked. No water for drinking along trail. No mud. Few bugs. Fabulous views above subalpine at 1360m elev. Road walk approach is 20-25% grade for first 100m vertical, then 15-20% next 300m vertical. Top 100m elev. is a scramble, but easier than it looks if you pick your footing carefully. Parking is $16 per day - max 3 days.

Trail dry and clear of snow all the way to the summit. Once you leave the forest road it’s a steep slog for the equivalent of the grouse grind to get to the ridge. The ridge is sparsely treed and great views all the way to the summit. A few bugs but not bad. Nice hike!

As others mention, parking is limited so get there early. A lower traffic trail than the Lions with great views. You can add on other peaks along the Howe Sound Crest Trail if you want and have planned for the extra time.

I did the Brunswick Mountain summit before looping back along the Howe Sound Crest Trail towards the Mt Harvey summit. Amazing hike overall bagging 2 peaks, both with incredible views, though doing the Mt. Harvey summit alone would be worth it for those only able to do 1 summit. There were still some snowy patches along the Howe Sound Crest Trail connecting these 2 peaks, that makes it a little tricky to stay on trail.

need to pay $16 for parking. did hike on May 19. snow all along ridge, but didn't need spikes. spectacular views, well worth it. make sure to look out for the fork or you'll end up going towards the lions

Steep trail with minimal to no snow. Don’t need crampons. Views for days!! Parking limited in Lions Bay start early.

Mon May 20 2019

Nice little afternoon hike on May 19. Started at 2 pm, 3.5 hrs up at a leisure pace (brought my two brothers and my dog) and 2 hrs 15 mins down. This is a moderate hike, not hard. Well marked and dry up up to ridge. Then hard packed snow, microspikes would come in handy but totally doable without. Pup made it all the way up, no problem at all. Ig twooutofthree

Wed May 08 2019

Hiked this May 4th and there was almost no one on the trail. The hike is challenging but if you give yourself enough time it is no problem. 4 hours up, camped the night and 3 hours down. There is snow just before the ridge and then all the way until the peak. The snow was getting soft and some plunging through happened so be aware of that. The view of the lions is stunning!

Mon Apr 29 2019

Got to the trailhead at 7:15am and was the only car. The first two miles from the trailhead were super steep but after that it got pretty gradual and a lot easier. I had poles but didn't use them til I got to the first waterfall section and only used them to help me hop to the logs to avoid getting my feet wet, but I'm sure that could also be done without poles, I'm just not that skilled ;) About half ish mile after that, it started to get steep again. I was using my poles more often. Couldn't make it to the top because my gps on my phone was acting all sorts of special. Ran into a nice lady and her son(?) on the way down and she said I pretty much got as far as I could before the snow would have stopped me anyway. All the way down I used my poles cause the gravel was pretty loose. Also, toward the top branches were all over the trail and scratching the hell out of my legs because I'm that fool that wears shorts everywhere. Beautiful hike!

Fri Apr 19 2019

Very steep and tough but the view is so worth it!! Bring lots of water 3L or more recommended! Only downside was I’ve never been on a trail with so many flies, but that may have been because of the time of year.