Mount Benson Loop

Mount Benson Loop is a 8.0 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

8 km
730 m

Many very steep sections that require scrambling on all fours. Nice park with a nice view, but I give it three stars for the roughness of the trail, poor marking in a couple of spots, and value of the view (it's a city view, not spectacular in my opinion). I'm 43, in pretty good shape and my knees and hips are hurtin. Possibly worth doing once for bragging rights, but not worth a repeat trip:) Took 1hr32mins to top, and 3hrs10mins round trip w time at the top.

Just made it to the top with my kids. Great workout and great view of Nanaimo.

It took my girlfriend and I about 4 hours round trip. This includes the time we stopped at the top for photos. They way up is physically tiring, but not exactly difficult. The way down seemingly takes forever, but was much easier in terms of exhaustion.

The view is great, the exercise was great and I’d do it again.

Side note - it may be difficult for older dogs.

Good workout. Great view.

Was great. Nice and steep! Made it to the big rock lookout and down in 3.25 hrs! Took the straight to the top trail.

Worth it!!

It’s was very difficult, especially on the way down as it was very slippery. Well worth it though. Be ready for a huge cardio session :)

Painful

Deadly

Went up this last Sunday (Oct 22nd) and proposed to my now fiance. Was extremely hung over for the first half hour of the hike (lol I will never learn). Felt like I was dying half way up but push on. The weather held up and provided the perfect place to pop the question. Would definitely hike it again, but not hung over next time.
cheers.

it's a tough climb and tougher descent. i wish I would have taken the trail down I had taken up that follows the lower cliff face a little more. I was expecting the hike to be hard on my knees but was not expecting it to be that hard.
Fantastic views from atop, watch out for the angry wasp nest, a couple guys in front of me stirred it up and created an angry swarm. The views made the strain and sore muscles worth it, umatched views of the Georgia Strait and Salish Sea.

Not a trek for the faint hearted. Straight up incline at points and if you're the pack mule of the group (the big guy that carries everything) then you'll definitely feel every lunge. 3 incredible view points, including the top, that were spectacular. The way down is rough and you need to be very careful with your footing due to loose dirt and gravel.
Helpful tips:
* hike boots not sneakers
* camel packs for water (1 pack per person)
* bring a camera that can catch the mountains in the distance

An amazing hike. the view at the top is stunning. Highly recommend.

Long uphill hike and climb
Can be hard going
Fantastic panoramic view at the top

ľñm

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Harder than I thought it would be but reaching that summit with its spectacular views was worth it!

Monday, July 17, 2017

Very steep in some areas but worth the view when you get to the summit

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Great hike bring lots of water and snacks for the top! Great view and the Whisky Jacks will eat right out of your hands.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

A great workout. Wear quality hiking shoes.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

A great trail but would consider it more difficult than moderate. The view at the end is amazing! We did it in just over 2.5 hours total but we're moving pretty fast. It is a bit muddy at parts, so be prepared for that.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

This is Not Moderate!
Steep and more Steep !
Had a great time with Dwayne and Coco

Sunday, May 14, 2017

I would say this is a hard to moderate hike.

Monday, January 09, 2017

During winter it's extremely slippery. Modify your boots to make them grip more or you'll have a have decent. Awesome hike otherwise.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Great work out

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Tuff climb to top we went up the old trail to summit a bit harder but views were worth it. Weather was perfect and had lunch at top. An amazing hike so close to home lived here for 15 years and first time up. Not going to wait that long again before return.

Saturday, November 21, 2015

It was super pretty but was not a very long hike, it took us like one hour to get to the top.

Friday, June 05, 2015

Very steep, great views...

Thursday, January 24, 2013

If you hike the trail just around the lake it is good but hiking to the very top i have to say is an amazing trip well worth the view and just a great spot to be out in nature so close to the city. You can also take a tent and gear with you and about halfway up the mountain if you are up for it can stay a night or two although the mountain is hikeable in the day

recorded Mount Benson Loop