Learn more

Lomas Lake is a 12.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cowichan Valley, British Columbia, Canada that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.8 miles Elevation Gain: 3,234 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Absolutely beautiful! There was a little bit of snow at the lake (nothing to worry about) and still quite a bit above the lake.

Pretty rainy day but beautiful trail, didn't make it to the lake as we could not see any markers to cross the last Creek. There was a little bit of snow left. Will try again on a dryer day and hopefully find the last half km trail to the lake! GPS on my phone was in and out!

bridge put in recently, most the snow has melted along the trail up to the lake. past the lake the snow pack is still deep.

Good trail, lake is beautiful even when foggy and raining all day. Some areas of the trail are overgrown so prepare to get wet! Would love to come back on a clearer day and get to the top of mt landale to complete the loop. 5 hours round trip.

thanks to the person who made the bridge very nice to not have to take shoes off snow is basically all gone now

Ran/hiked this trail with a friend who had done it several times before. We made it to the lake but there was still a fair bit of snow for the last ~2K. The trail was harder to find in the snow but there are flags in addition to the trail markers on trees. Be sure to download the map in advance as there is no service. Was absolutely worth the climb! Will go again in warmer weather. ***There is a newly built log bridge across the river at 5K!***

really nice trail but washed out in some spots had to cross a river witch was fine at the top there was alot of snow witch maybe i could have passed with snowshoes but with hiking boots i just fell threw the snow probably try it in a month or so i imagine it would be much better then

The water was too high for me to cross where there was previously a bridge! (5.5km)

Bridge is removed at the 5km mark, follow the creek to the left to cross further upstream. still lots of snow in the last couple km. beautiful area otherwise.

bridge out

A few girlfriends and I did this hike on March 25th. It was beautiful, however we did not make it to the top! We were about 2-3kms away when we decided to turn around. As we had snow up to our hips and the trail was barely visible. It could be doable if you had snowshoes for the last few kilometers. Also, there aren’t many trail markers visible, so we were relying heavily on the maps navigation. Best not to attempt this hike alone unless you’re skilled at navigating. Overall still a beautiful hike! Took us 4.5hrs, around 20km. We will attempt again in the later months. Would rate this moderate difficulty.

bridge out

Tried to take advantage of this spring weather n camp out at the lake for a day or 2 but couldn’t make it. The snow pack is still pretty good up there (at least a foot in large parts) that just cost me too much time. I didn’t start until just after noon and lost the sun around 3 behind the mountain. The bridge no longer exists but the water was low enough to jump rock to rock n cross. It’s a nice trail but if a little bigger like myself keep in mind it’s all n I mean ALL up hill n gets pretty steep in spots. Still very doable but lots of rest breaks (at least for me anyways) cut my losses n headed back planned on finding a spot to make camp n attempt today but on my back down I noticed a ton of cat tracks on the path I didn’t see on my way up! Since this was my first solo I chickened out since it was obvious it was stalking me (although I never seen it I did here some noises) made it back to the truck about 5:30. I hate to lose n be beat so I will definitely be doing this again perhaps in April when most of the snow should be gone

flooded

bridge out

Only got to see the logging road because the first river crossing is washed out. There’s an alternate trail if you follow the logging road to the left just before the washed out bridge. It goes up about a km. The trail gets smaller and smaller and eventually disappears.

bridge out

The start of the trail was nice. You walk down the logging road along the creek. We had planned to do the whole thing but got stopped at the first water crossing. The log that looks like it’s usually used to cross the creek was washed to the side and the water was too high to try and cross without the bridge. We will definitely be trying the hike again when it’s a little dryer out and the water has gone down.

Just want to point out a wasp nest on the trail. It is in the wooded area after you pass by a fire pit with a tarp over some wood. There is a down log right next to a tree with a big curve at the bottom, keep left! Hope this helps.