Learn more

Landslide Lake Via Elk River Trail is a 13.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Strathcona D, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 13.2 mi Elevation gain 3,369 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (93)
Recordings (89)
Completed (293)
Nick Folk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

Going to the second lake is difficult but worth it I love this hike

View Nick's Recording
Lexie Bouchard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

Awesome trail, hard work to hike in a day. Really humbled me lol

View Lexie's Recording
Breanna Yaeger
View Breanna's Recording
Peter Olivastri
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
Hiking

Fun trail. From the last campground to the lakes is the best part

View Peter's Recording
Tash Nolet
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
Hiking

Hiking poles were a god send with a pack, long but not as steep as we had anticipated. Good forest cover from the sun until the second campsite.

View Tash's Recording
Alex Jacques
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

Très belle randonnée! Je vous conseille fortement de vous rendre à Burg Lake un peu plus loin pour voir le glacier ( 4 km aller-retour). Le sentier est bien identifié et se fait relativement bien ( le dernier quart est plus difficile), mais je suggère de camper si vous le pouvez et de vous baigner dans les deux lac!

Isabelle Bertrand
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
CampingFeeGreat!

Parking lot to 1st campsite: mostly flat, 2 hours (with camping gear on) 1st campsite to 2nd campsite: 1 hour (with camping gear on). Moderate elevation gain but not as bad as I thought it would be!! Reading the previous reviews I was imagining a mini grouse grind but it was actually very doable. A few pretty waterfalls along the way. We dropped our gear off here since we planned on camping for the night. 2nd campsite to Landslide Lake: about 45 minutes. Make sure to apply sunscreen before starting this leg since a lot of it is on the exposed bedrock in the direct sun. Landslide Lake to Burg Lake: another 45 minutes. If you're day hiking, make sure to give yourself enough time to get to Burg!!! Unmissable experience. A few icebergs there to swim with!! (By "swim" I mean jump in the water and right back out again... otherwise hypothermia would set in!) Lots of mosquitos here. We had the whole lake to ourselves when we got here at 5pm. A few more notes: This was definitely a bad hike to forget the first aid kit!!! I got stung by a wasp, and myself and my partner both had lots of scraps and bumps from the narrow/overgrown trail to Burg, and also slipping on the wood and rocks while swimming in Landslide Lake. Lots of camping spots surprisingly for a sunny Friday of a long weekend... but when we were hiking down the next day we saw A LOT of people coming up to camp on the Saturday... try to avoid or start early to get a spot!!

Rebecca Crooks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
Hiking

We did this as a day trip, took about 7.5 hours of hiking. It was tiring mainly because of how long it is (25km). Most of the elevation gain is in the second half. We all swam at the lake and it was very cold but felt awesome in the heat. We considered pushing past Landslide to check out Berg but we would rather camp and do that next time. It’s a well maintained trail and not crazy busy. We’d do it again for sure!

David Hanegraaf
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020

Did this as a day hike yesterday with my girlfriend, went up to the 2nd Lake, in total took us 9 hours including lunch and stops. Was closer to 28km return trip to the upper lake. Really amazing views and a great swim with the icebergs in the upper lake!! parking lot at the trailhead was open for overnight parking.

Spencer Bialek
BackpackingBugsGreat!

This trail is host to some of the most beautiful spots in BC. I'll try to provide some useful details in this review if you're planning a backpacking adventure here. A group of 6 of us (including two first timer hikers/backpackers) left Victoria on Thursday night and set up our tents in the parking lot upon arrival. If you do this, I recommend setting up your tent as far from the highway as possible or you'll be woken up by traffic all night. We woke up at 8am on Friday morning to several vehicles unloading a ton of people ready for camping. We anxiously tore down our tents as quickly as possible, fearing that we might have difficulty finding a decent camping spot if we postponed our departure too long (spoiler: this was unnecessary as there were many sites available on Friday). The hike to the second campground took us 6 hours, though we were moving quite slowly with plenty of stops for chilling at the numerous waterfalls. We got lucky with the weather as it was hot and sunny the week prior -- and the entire weekend we were there!! -- so the trail was dry and easy to navigate (though a couple of slips and a rolled ankle occurred because of the roots and rocks). As others have said, the elevation changes quite rapidly between the first and second campgrounds, and it can be pretty dang gruelling since it's near the end of the hike. We ended up snagging an awesome spot along the river and enjoying an LED "fire" before we passed out in our tents. Waking up early on Saturday, we ventured to landslide lake in about an hour. Eventually we were joined up there by many other groups of people enjoying the frigid lake on a hot day. After a couple hours of swimming and eating lunch, we hiked another hour up to Berg Lake. What a friggin treat; a partially ice covered lake with a dauntingly gorgeous view of Mt Colonel Foster within arms reach. I had no idea such beauty existed on Vancouver Island! When we hiked back down the camp we noticed almost every single site had tents, and some people even set up their tent between the second campground and landslide lake. The food cache was completely filled, and every available bear hang was in use, so we had to use our own rope to hang up our food. Saturday night was busy; bring rope just in case! On Sunday we were tired and sore, so we chilled by the river all day. It was wonderful. If you're bothered by bugs (mosquitos and flies are incessant) then bring some bug spray. The hike back out on Monday took significantly less time (3 hours in total), because it was mostly downhill. If you want lunch in Campbell River, a lot of spots close at 2pm so plan accordingly! The unparalleled rugged beauty of this place cannot be overstated. Though we got extremely lucky with the weather and so this review is relatively incomplete (you will probably need waterproof boots and maybe gaiters most other weekends), I have also hiked this trail during a downpour and it was still amazing (not sure I'd want to spend multiple days there in the rain though). I hope you enjoy yourself and I hope this review was helpful. :)

Chris Lawson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020
Hiking

First time hiking this trail, did it as a day hike after spending 4 nights in Marble Meadows. It was a fantastic trip, the trail is definitely well maintained and has many different types of terrain. The elevation gain is mostly between camp 1 and camp 2 and in the final 1 km to Landslide Lake. The vista at the lake was amazing, with Colonel Foster looming directly overhead. We didn't hike up to Foster Lake, next time. I was surprised to see that the lake is stocked as the mini trout were jumping all over the place!

Mark Van Roon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020
Hiking

Hi there, I see that people hiked this as recent as yesterday however on the BC Parks website i see that Strathcona Prov Park has a partial closure in this trailhead area. Are allowed to park at this trailhead for overnight camping use at 1 of the 2 backcountry spots?

Jade Samantha Hill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
BackpackingGreat!

Easily one of the most beautiful trails I've done. So many hidden gems along a mostly shaded riverside trail. Lots of variation as some parts are quite easy and some are quite difficult depending on your fitness level. Enjoy!

Taryn Tomlinson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble

Our group of nine (5 teenagers, 3 first-time trekkers) had a splendid 2-night trip, suitable to all levels. The highlight was day 2, up to Landslide, then another hour up to Iceberg lake just above Landslide. Everyone jumped into the lake despite that it was half covered in ice. Going the extra hour up to Iceberg lake was a great choice for teens- it is like an obstacle course up the gentle waterfall between the lakes, and they all loved it. What a spectacular moment and memories for the 5 teens who took hundreds of photos. We stayed a second night so that we could enjoy the lakes for the whole day. Note that the sun sets around 3pm at the lake, so no more direct sunlight to keep you warm. There were no problems on the trails - well kept, no wasps, more waterfalls than I've seen in my life (loads of fresh water). All bridges were well maintained, campsites were spotless. One irritation was dogs unleashed at campsites- fine if they are friendly, but we had a terrible incident with an aggressive dog and irresponsible owners that prevented a safe trip to the outhouse for everyone on our entire last day. This is an excellent choice for a family trekking, or a one-day hike.

Bonnie Logan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 13, 2020
HikingMuddy

Did this trail as a 1 nighter on a weekend thinking it wouldn’t be busy as it was rainy - still quite busy and very muddy. Definitely recommend wearing gators. Lots of roots. No tent pads and sites (at 2nd campground) are scattered with no real privacy. Steady uphill (nothing crazy) for about 10.5k to 2nd campground (~3.5 hours from parking lot). When you reach the “river crossing” go straight and look for the logs people have placed to cross. The trail looks like it goes to the right but doesn’t.

Jo Halliday
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020
Hiking

Did this hike today as a day hike. Made it to Berg lake and back and it was definitely not 21km our strava reading said 37km. Legs feel it now! Beautiful area and well worth going to both Landslide and Berg lake what your up there! Most of the hike is in the forest and relatively flat until you get higher up and close to the lakes.

Dave S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2020
HikingGreat!Muddy

Just got back today from a solo two night trip, camped at the second campsite by the river which is much nicer than the first. Arrived Thursday night and only 4 other tents, we were all spread out so you felt alone. Did the hike up to Landslide lake and Berg Lake On Friday. The hike from Landslide lake up to Berg lake is so worth it, but strenuous (I'm 48, so-so shape and this was my first backpacking trip) There was one person at the lake when I arrived and then had it to myself for 2 hours when three others arrived. Kudos to the people who do this as a day hike...maybe 10 years ago for me :-) On the hike out to car today passed at least 30 people hiking in to camp...if you want minimal crowds do this on weekdays.

Sara Stella
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2020
Hiking

We finished our hike yesterday. I’ll give you my breakdown. From the trail head to the first campground it is relatively flat with small ups and downs. I walk a decent pace and it took me about 2 hours. From the first to the second campground it was about 1.5 hours and mostly uphill. We rested for an hour and decided to push through to Landslide lake which was a further hour and a steep climb. We saw from landslide that you could hike up to Berg Lake which is a tougher go. It took us about 45 mins but is a slog going around Landslide Lake. You end up climbing up a waterfall and over the ridge to a stunningly beautiful lake. We hiked from the second campground back to the car the following morning which took almost 4.5 hours. To put it in perspective, the first day I did over 43000 steps (I’m 5 10) lol. Be prepared with food/water and gear if going as a day hike. enjoy!! It’s stunning and I am very sore today!

Chelsey Zeeman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2020
Hiking

Absolutely incredible! Best hike I have done in Canada. Things to know: a. From the car park all the way to berg lake and back is about 30km hike. b. Have good hiking boots with good grip c. bug spray if staying overnight d. Trail from landslide lake to berg lake is a bush wack, about 2hrs return from landslide lake (4km). Pack light for this section. It’s worth the extra push. e. Hiking poles for the way out are very helpful on the knees from landslide - car park. This hike is more intermediate than hard. The incline is gradual, undulating and you do not need to worry about running out of water. You are surrounded by it, just need a filter. There was hardly any mud and only one section where you walk through water - this is where waterproof hiking boots are handy! Enjoy!!!

Carleigh Elizabeth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2020

Did this as my first overnight backpacking trip in Sept 2019. The hike to the first camp is relatively easy. Definitely camp at the second site for beautiful views. The hike to landslide is more uphill, but getting to the lake is a great reward. Watch out for wasps nests and bring bug spray for overnight.

Jennifer Mclean
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 30, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!MuddyOver grownRocky

Went to both Landslide Lake and Berg Lake. The trail seemed to be about 26km RT. I'm really not sure how anyone said they completed this in 5 hours (unless they ran), because we took little breaks and it took us 9 hours. Wouldn't consider myself a super slow hiker either. The trail to Berg Lake is around 45 minutes one way, but definitely worth it. If you want to really explore and enjoy this area, I'd recommend either going first thing in the morning so you have the entire day or staying overnight - This area is HUGE, with multiple alpine lakes, waterfalls, etc. I don't think you'll want to rush there and back. I wish I had more time to explore. For Berg Lake: The trail is a little hard to follow at times and is really overgrown. It goes along a creek at one point and through some rocky terrain. I'd recommend a GPS just in case. At one point just as you leave Landslide Lake, the trail continues past a large rock. If the trail looks like it disappeared, it's probably around the rock. Also: Bugs at the lake, bring bug spray.